Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MB1 story by Major Jim Bernthal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MB1 story by Major Jim Bernthal

Greetings fellow Bremont supporters,

My name is Jim Bernthal and I am a retired Marine Harrier/instructor pilot. I recently purchased Bremont’s MB1 model and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. While many of you are watch enthusiasts with much more knowledge of chronometric timepieces, I enjoy them for their beauty, craftsmanship and sentimental value. For instance, I own a Breitling Colt which I received as a gift from my father as he was dying of pancreatic cancer in 2005. I proudly display this watch on my wrist on special occasions and you would think I was the only person in the room wearing a watch because it holds that much emotional value to me.

The MB1 will be of similar value. On March fourth, 2008, I ejected both myself and a student from a jet that became uncontrollable on touchdown due to a mechanical malfunction. I broke my back but flew again until the full extent of my injuries was discovered. It wasn’t until a year and a half later when I was researching information for a speech, that I came upon Doctor Martin Luther King’s famous, March on Washington. I saw sign after sign being held high by people of all different demographics, which read “March for equal rights”, “March for jobs now”, March four higher minimum wage”, etc. At this time I had an epiphany and realized that I ejected on March fourth. I also realized that we must all “March forth” through the tough times in our life. I believe we are seeing tough times in the world right now, so we must, as you guessed it, “March forth”.

This story is also relevant because it has an underlying theme of time. Time, in my eyes is the most precious gift of all. Martin Baker extended my time here on earth as a loving father of five boys and husband and Bremont will help me remember this fact by creating a beautiful instrument of time for me. I am grateful to both of these innovative British companies for the gifts they have given me.

Major James Bernthal
    USMC, retired

Jim,great story of service and survival! I know you will be thrilled when your MB1 arrives and it will exceed your expectations! Until yours reaches you here is a pic of mine! Cheers Jim .
    Breitling Navitimer, Omega PO, Rolex Datejust,Platinum Yacht Master ,Rado Sinatra, Bremont MB1,S500 Supermarine, Blue ALT1-P, 37 & 43 White Solos ,Bronze MBIII, White Boeing Model 1, F-16 Viper DLC Blue, and the Wright Flyer! Speake-Marin Wing Commander

Quote Originally Posted by jpbernie72 View Post
    Greetings fellow Bremont supporters,

On March fourth, 2008, I ejected both myself and a student from a jet that became uncontrollable on touchdown due to a mechanical malfunction.
    Major James Bernthal
    USMC, retired
    Incredible story, Jim.

By amazing coincidence too.... March 4th 1995 is the date that Nick English of Bremont crashed his WWII plane, which ultimately became the stepping stone to creating this wonderful watch brand.

A very touching story jim, wishing you a warm welcome and looking forward to seeing a picture of your MB1 which you rightly deserve!

A great and profound story, and with the remarkable twist added by Captain Danger. We all envy your watch, but not how it was earned. Enjoy it for all the reasons you speak of.

Beautiful watch CaptLeslie! Thanks for posting. Should not be long now.

Jim

Captain Danger,
    That is an incredible coincidence or some sort of Divine sign. Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. I will post pictures as soon as it comes!

Great story. I'm glad you were able to fly again. I'll never be eligible for the red MB1 because I broke my back in ejection seat training. Crushed the T-8 vertebra. Not nearly as exciting as your incident but likely equally as painful! Because of that injury I was limited to non-ejection jets and proudly fly (and teach) the C-17. Hopefully you'll get your watch soon. I ordered mine last March and it didn't arrive until November of last year (hey, it's almost my one-year anniversary). That was a long wait...

Welcome to the forum!
    - TexZan -

TexZan,
    I'm sorry about your accident but it's great and amazing that you are still flying and instructing! I sure hope I don't have to wait that long for my MB1. I've been told that I'm on time for a 6 week delivery. I guess only time will tell (no pun intended).

I guess only time will tell (no pun intended). Did you bump your head on the way out Jim??