Thread: River gods try to snatch watch

River gods try to snatch watch

Just came back from holiday and had a very close call. Jumped into a river from a rock about four or five meters above the water and felt instantly as I started to resurface that my watch (BC-S2 black/green) was no longer on my wrist. We had brought masks with us, so my wife went to fetch them. Couldn't see a thing in the murky water even with the mask until I reached the bottom, which was about five metres deep, and was shocked to see the bottom was full of crevices and that there was a deep drop about a metre further on from where I probably entered the water. When I went up for air the first time, I was already coming to terms in my mind with the fact that I would never see the watch again, barring a miracle - and that after having only bought it two months ago.

Amazingly, on the fourth or fifth dive down, just as I was coming up for air again, I saw it out of the corner of my eye, lying on a small flat ledge. I couldn't get it that time, but there was hardly any current and so I knew I would retrieve it sooner or later. My brother in law and his son were there as well, and the former eventually came up with the watch.

Two things had happened on impact with the water: the velcro on the canvas strap didn't hold, and one of the spring bars had popped out as well. I wouldn't have expected the velcro to give away so easily, but let that be a lesson I guess. As for the spring bar, that was probably my own naiveté. I bought them online thinking as long as they are 22 long it will be okay, but obviously it's not that simple. Probably they weren't thick enough. In any case, Bremont are kindly sending me some proper ones.

So, all's well that ends well, but that was as close a shave as I'd like to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Fryling View Post
    Just came back from holiday and had a very close call. Jumped into a river from a rock about four or five meters above the water and felt instantly as I started to resurface that my watch (BC-S2 black/green) was no longer on my wrist. We had brought masks with us, so my wife went to fetch them. Couldn't see a thing in the murky water even with the mask until I reached the bottom, which was about five metres deep, and was shocked to see the bottom was full of crevices and that there was a deep drop about a metre further on from where I probably entered the water. When I went up for air the first time, I was already coming to terms in my mind with the fact that I would never see the watch again, barring a miracle - and that after having only bought it two months ago.

Amazingly, on the fourth or fifth dive down, just as I was coming up for air again, I saw it out of the corner of my eye, lying on a small flat ledge. I couldn't get it that time, but there was hardly any current and so I knew I would retrieve it sooner or later. My brother in law and his son were there as well, and the former eventually came up with the watch.

Two things had happened on impact with the water: the velcro on the canvas strap didn't hold, and one of the spring bars had popped out as well. I wouldn't have expected the velcro to give away so easily, but let that be a lesson I guess. As for the spring bar, that was probably my own naiveté. I bought them online thinking as long as they are 22 long it will be okay, but obviously it's not that simple. Probably they weren't thick enough. In any case, Bremont are kindly sending me some proper ones.

So, all's well that ends well, but that was as close a shave as I'd like to experience.
    Thanks for the experience, and sorry it happened (Some of you might remember I gave Fryling a spare Black velcro strap)

Yes, that's the strap, but I am in no way suggesting you had anything to do with my misfortune, Piers. Am still grateful for the strap and intend to use it with the right spring bars. I had obviously bought the wrong spring bars, and who would have thought that the velcro wouldn't hold? It wasn't exactly an Acapulcan cliff dive or anything like that! But in any case, this experience serves as a warning that the velcro straps should be used with caution during certain activities.

"velcro straps should be used with caution during certain activities."
    I've always thought that…..