Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo 32 L/C - Cant turn crown

Solo 32 L/C - Cant turn crown

Hi all,

Noobie here and not ashamed to say Im looking to leach on some knowledge.

I have just purchased a Solo 32 ladies secondhand (all legit with papers, etc), however I cant seem to turn the crown clockwise.

With some pressure, I can tuen it counter-clockwise to a point but then it looks like its unscrewing and only gets to a certain point before it stops.
    I also cant seem to pull the crown out to adjust the date (1 click) and date (2 clicks).

Im familiar with Bremont crowns as I have a watch myself (this is for my wife).

I have two years left on the warranty and can send it over to Bremont, but would appreciate any thoughts/feedback before I do this. (Its my wifes birthday on 2nd November so want to avoid doing this if at all possible!)

Many thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

This sounds like a strange problem! As Im sure you know, the Solo-32 crown is screw down, so will need to be turned counter-clockwise to unscrew before you can then pull it out to adjust the date/time.

Without seeing the watch, its hard to diagnose, but if its starting to unscrew (but not fully!) sounds like there could be an issue there?

it just sounds like the action of a screw down crown to me barring the 'some pressure' comment but that depends on how much 'some' is.

bearing in mind that only some of the Bremont watches are screw down and the others are a simple push-pull in can get a little bit confusing and if a person isn't familiar with screw down crowns, they can be a little unnerving as you feel like you're about to break the watch.

I suppose the first question for Nick is, are you familiar with screw down crowns?

I bought a 32mm solo AJ for my misses, we have a slightly problem different with the crown. It is a little fiddly or temperamental getting to the 2nd position for changing time.
    Other than that no issues.
    Hope it gets sorted.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    it just sounds like the action of a screw down crown to me barring the 'some pressure' comment but that depends on how much 'some' is.

bearing in mind that only some of the Bremont watches are screw down and the others are a simple push-pull in can get a little bit confusing and if a person isn't familiar with screw down crowns, they can be a little unnerving as you feel like you're about to break the watch.

I suppose the first question for Nick is, are you familiar with screw down crowns?
    I've just replaced the crown tube on a Tag Heuer F1.
    The thread on the tube is internal which is the opposite to Tudor/Rolex and lots of others.
    Being an internal thread it's probably 1/2 the dia. an external one would be.
    I tried putting a tap down it to get a grip then pull, without luck.Then I tried tiny stud extractor bits and again had no luck.
    In the end I thought I'd drill and ream the tube out of the case.As soon as the 2mm drill started cutting it got hold of the tube which has an outside dia of 2.7mm and turned the tube so I was able to pull it out.
    Tag Heuer have had a lot of trouble with their crowns/tubes but I've never heard of any bother with Bremonts.

I've never taken much notice of the Bremont ladies watches before, but WoW they're seriously beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
    The thread on the tube is internal which is the opposite to Tudor/Rolex and lots of others.
    I tried putting a tap down it to get a grip then pull, without luck.Then I tried tiny stud extractor bits and again had no luck.
    In the end I thought I'd drill and ream the tube out of the case.As soon as the 2mm drill started cutting it got hold of the tube which has an outside dia of 2.7mm and turned the tube so I was able to pull it out.
    Tag Heuer have had a lot of trouble with their crowns/tubes but I've never heard of any bother with Bremonts.
    I expected nothing less of a true engineer Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    I expected nothing less of a true engineer Larry.
    Hahahaha I'd ordered some broaches just in case the drill/reamer method didn't work.
    Considering the tube is so tiny it was absolutely pot hard as we used to say in Engineering.
    I'm in trouble now.....I've just shown my missus a pic of those ladies Solo watches and got the thumbs up.

I wasnt expecting to be reading this this morning! Good work, Larry! Did you successful sort the problem?

I'm in trouble now.....I've just shown my missus a pic of those ladies Solo watches and got the thumbs up.
    Sounds like this could be getting expensive! But, once shes onside, that makes it easier for you to get another, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    I wasnt expecting to be reading this this morning! Good work, Larry! Did you successful sort the problem?

Sounds like this could be getting expensive! But, once shes onside, that makes it easier for you to get another, surely?
    yes thanks the Tag is ok now.The 2mm drill got hold and pulled the tube out with just a tiny bit of loose thread left at the bottom.
    I've just checked my S300 as regards the crown tube and the threads are external which is better than the Tags.
    My missus likes the Tudor Claire de Rose too but I'm leaning towards the Bremont for errrr cough cough obvious reasons