Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New release: Bremont ENG300

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    nellydog, this is my take on it and you have every right to be confused, the devil is in the detail as they say. I agree with Jís comment although Iíll add a little bit. With the ETA movement and the LJP movement from the Wright Flyer, Bremont buy a movement from a supplier and make modifications to suit their watches. The modifications to the ETA movements are relatively minor, the mods to the LJP movement were greater. With this new movement, the THE+ K1 renamed ENG300, Bremont have purchased both the IP for the movement and also the manufacturing IP or in simple terms, theyíve agreed not to just buy the rights to the movement design but also will develop it further. The new movement is still open for others to do the same with should they wish but itís unlikely as Bremonts position is unique in that they want to develop and manufacture their own movement.
    So what you have in the new watches and moving forward is a unique movement to Bremont. Strictly speaking it is a bought in movement but not in the same way as an ETA which even with mods, is still an ETA. This movement, despite being designed by a Swiss company is true Bremont. Of course the nay sayers will argue that itís not a Bremont manufactured movement which for now is true but itís a big step in the right direction.
    Thank you for this detailed explanation, it makes a person like myself understand a bit more .
    I am not one to really care what movement my watch has but it must be reliable on timekeeping.
    My VC and IWC were one of the worst in time keeping I have ever had, compared to my Lange,s , Stowa and Bremont being the best. Even if my watches loose or gain a minute a day, I am fine with that, after all it is a Mechanical watch.
    Anyway, I wish Bremont all the best and hope the new movement is going to be very reliable.
    I suppose, only time will tell!

nellydog, this is my take on it and you have every right to be confused, the devil is in the detail as they say. I agree with Jís comment although Iíll add a little bit. With the ETA movement and the LJP movement from the Wright Flyer, Bremont buy a movement from a supplier and make modifications to suit their watches. The modifications to the ETA movements are relatively minor, the mods to the LJP movement were greater. With this new movement, the THE+ K1 renamed ENG300, Bremont have purchased both the IP for the movement and also the manufacturing IP or in simple terms, theyíve agreed not to just buy the rights to the movement design but also will develop it further. The new movement is still open for others to do the same with should they wish but itís unlikely as Bremonts position is unique in that they want to develop and manufacture their own movement.
    So what you have in the new watches and moving forward is a unique movement to Bremont. Strictly speaking it is a bought in movement but not in the same way as an ETA which even with mods, is still an ETA. This movement, despite being designed by a Swiss company is true Bremont. Of course the nay sayers will argue that itís not a Bremont manufactured movement which for now is true but itís a big step in the right direction.
    Good comment, thanks.

Thank you. Confirms what I thought, but to be honest, I still don't get it. I'm not knocking Bremont, just don't see the point: they're still not manufacturing a complete in-house movement, and the watches they've launched it in are insanely expensive. I assume this is a more economical way of moving towards their own movement than starting from scratch. I know nothing about business, but this seems a bit risky to me. Still I wish them the best of luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nellydog View Post
    Thank you. Confirms what I thought, but to be honest, I still don't get it. I'm not knocking Bremont, just don't see the point: they're still not manufacturing a complete in-house movement, and the watches they've launched it in are insanely expensive. I assume this is a more economical way of moving towards their own movement than starting from scratch. I know nothing about business, but this seems a bit risky to me. Still I wish them the best of luck with it.

This movement WILL be in the core pieces starting from next year, and at a price point very much comparable with the current core-collection pricing.

It's not necessarily a more economical way of having their own movement but a more sensible route. I like to think of it this way. If they start designing and developing a movement from scratch, the costs will be astronomical with all the machinery required, the design, the prototyping and finally production. It might even take so long that it never really happens. This way, they have a movement they can use and re-engineer or more specifically reverse engineer. In this scenario they have a product they can sell which is a 'bought in' movement but which has also been changed to suit the Bremont brand. There are any number of high end brands who have done this.

The next part of the story will be that which defines Bremont and so in some ways, it is a risk. If they wanted to, they could rest on their laurels and just use the movement that they have. However, if they continue down the path that I believe Nick and Giles envisage, the movement will over time be changed as more and more parts of it are manufactured by Bremont in the UK. In theory, it could eventually become an in-house movement in its entirety. So effectively the end goal is exactly the same as starting from scratch. However, in this instance there is actually less risk as there will always be a movement to sell, in whatever form it happens to be at any given stage.

As for why it's launched in expensive watches, that's inevitable whatever industry you are in. New products start at the top end of the scale and find their way to the regular end. It's partly marketing and partly that new developments are expensive and to stat with will only be in expensive components. You wouldn't expect fully automated parking in a Toyota Yaris at the same time it appears in a Lexus LS.