Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New release: Bremont ENG300

New release: Bremont ENG300

HODINKEE have just officially released what tonight is all about - the new Bremont manufactured movement, the Bremont ENG300!

Read an in-depth article about the movement and conception here: HODINKEE- Bremont ENG300

(Picture from Bremont/Hodinkee)

The Brothers have bought the manufacturing rights of a movement called 'K1' from a Swiss ‘consortium’ called THE+. Bremont will manufacture 5 of the components in-house, along with some assembly and regulation, whilst other processes take place with external partner companies in Switzerland

The interesting take aways from this for me is that it has been subject to - and indeed passed - the Martin-Baker test criteria AND also that they are already extending The Wing to push up ability to assembled the movements from 5000 next year, right up to their full potential to replace the ETA movements found in the watches currently.

Also, it's worth nothing that the rotor rather obviously has the word 'LONGITUDE' engraved - more on that this evening, no doubt..

Thoughts?
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 10-20-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks for the link J, very interesting read.

I am one of those that is not too bothered what movement is inside my watch as long as it is reliable & accurate.

Also I am pleased to see that Bremont are pushing ahead with movement design & manufacture, it can only be good for the company in the long term I think.

I like the wording Bremont manufactured movement rather than in house.

I’m intrigued. Well written article on Hodinkee that mentions the complexity of factors involved in “full in house” vs what Bremont have done with this movement. I think that in 2021/2, there is less of an emphasis on importance of “in-house” vs “not”, and I think an article like this helps to display an acceptable degree of transparency on the matter. Great to see increased Manufacturing in England and I’m overall happy with this next step for Bremont.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker9 View Post
    I’m intrigued. Well written article on Hodinkee that mentions the complexity of factors involved in “full in house” vs what Bremont have done with this movement. I think that in 2021/2, there is less of an emphasis on importance of “in-house” vs “not”, and I think an article like this helps to display an acceptable degree of transparency on the matter. Great to see increased Manufacturing in England and I’m overall happy with this next step for Bremont.
    Totally agreed, I can only see this as an overall positive step forward for Bremont. I hope they don’t get caught up by the ‘naysayers’ from the previous and well-documented movement ‘saga’ and can really make this a positive move towards the ‘next level’ as a brand.

I wonder if there is a Harrison link given the word Longitude on the rotator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Supersonic LE (no.76]
    1918 LE (no.18)
    MBii Orange
    Alt1-C / CR (sold)
    Alt1- C / PW
    Supermarine S500 BK
    Omega Constellation
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega de ville co-axel chronometer

Worth the wait.

Whoa! That is beautiful

I'll admit to being genuinely confused about this. Like others have said, I'm not overly bothered about movements other than reliability and accuracy - although I do have an Omega Railmaster with it's Master Chronometer movement - but, unless I'm reading this wrong, it's still a modified base movement from another company, right? Or am I wrong? If it is, what's different about this compared to modifying an ETA?

BTW, this is a genuine question and I'm not looking to criticise Bremont, just to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by nellydog View Post
    I'll admit to being genuinely confused about this. Like others have said, I'm not overly bothered about movements other than reliability and accuracy - although I do have an Omega Railmaster with it's Master Chronometer movement - but, unless I'm reading this wrong, it's still a modified base movement from another company, right? Or am I wrong? If it is, what's different about this compared to modifying an ETA?

BTW, this is a genuine question and I'm not looking to criticise Bremont, just to clarify.
    My understanding is this: the ‘base’ movement (THE+ K1), Bremont have bought the rights to, and have modified it to suit their needs.

nellydog, this is my take on it and you have every right to be confused, the devil is in the detail as they say. I agree with J’s comment although I’ll add a little bit. With the ETA movement and the LJP movement from the Wright Flyer, Bremont buy a movement from a supplier and make modifications to suit their watches. The modifications to the ETA movements are relatively minor, the mods to the LJP movement were greater. With this new movement, the THE+ K1 renamed ENG300, Bremont have purchased both the IP for the movement and also the manufacturing IP or in simple terms, they’ve agreed not to just buy the rights to the movement design but also will develop it further. The new movement is still open for others to do the same with should they wish but it’s unlikely as Bremonts position is unique in that they want to develop and manufacture their own movement.
    So what you have in the new watches and moving forward is a unique movement to Bremont. Strictly speaking it is a bought in movement but not in the same way as an ETA which even with mods, is still an ETA. This movement, despite being designed by a Swiss company is true Bremont. Of course the nay sayers will argue that it’s not a Bremont manufactured movement which for now is true but it’s a big step in the right direction.
    Last edited by theancientmariner; 10-21-2021 at 09:48 PM.