Thread: 503 warning

Question 503 warning

Is it just me or are you guys receiving a 503 warning on some page selections? Yesterday 503 on everything?

It's not just you. It's an ongoing problem with the server that this forum uses via Bremont. More details here - https://alt1tude.bremont.com/forum/t...m-Server-Issue

Why not go independent regarding Servers? I have three websites which I pay £100 per.annum to Netweaver to host. Ultra reliable and cheap.

Hi Both - yes, it seems to come and go, usually around weekends. Sadly, as I say above, Jeremy and myself have little control over that side as it is in-house at Bremont.

We do apologise for the rather regular downtime though, we find it as annoying as yourselves. Thanks for sticking with us.

It is starting to get a bit too regular and while us committed forum members will stick with it, it's certainly going to be off putting for any potential new members. I can't see why Bremonts IT staff haven't fixed it by now, it's been over three months since the first occurrence.

The Host should be able to fix this.

From a Google Search:

What does the 503 error code mean?
    As mentioned above, 5xx status codes mean there's a problem with the server itself.

A 503 Service Unavailable error means that the page or resource is unavailable. There are many reasons why a server might return a 503 error, but some common reasons are maintenance, a bug in the server's code, or a sudden spike in traffic that causes the server to become overwhelmed.

The message that's sent with the 503 error can vary depending on server it's coming from, but here are some of the common ones you'll see:

- 503 Service Unavailable
    - 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable
    - HTTP Server Error 503
    - HTTP Error 503
    - Error 503 Service Unavailable
    - The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Whatever the reason for the 503 error, it's usually temporary – the server will restart, traffic will die down, and the issue will resolve itself.

How to solve the 503 Status Unavailable error
    When trying to solve a 503 error, there are two general camps.

The first is where you're an end user, and you're trying to visit a site that you don't own. In the second, you own the site, and it's throwing 503 errors to people who are trying to visit.

The method to solve 503 errors is different depending on which group you fall into. Let's take a look at some things you can do as an end user if you see a 503 error.

How to solve a 503 Status Unavailable error as an end user
    Since 5xx status codes mean that the error is on the server-side, there isn't a lot you can do directly.

Even though 503 errors are usually temporary, there are some things you can do while you wait.

#1: Refresh the page

Sometimes the error is so temporary that a simple refresh is all it takes. With the page open, just press Ctrl - R on Windows and Linux, or Cmd - R on macOS to refresh the page.

#2: See if the page is down for other people

The next thing you can do is use a service like Is It Down Right Now? or Down For Everyone Or Just Me to see if other people are getting the same error.

Just go to either of those sites and enter in the URL for the page you're trying to visit.

The service will ping the URL you entered to see if it gets a response. Then it'll show you some cool stats and graphs about the page: