Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Help choosing a watch!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Newb
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11

    Help choosing a watch!

    Good morning all,

    Im looking for a bit of help / advice if thats ok. Im after a watch that I can wear anywhere no matter what Im doing.

    Im an Army Photographer so my job takes me all over, from snow to desert, jungle to photographing royalty. I like to walk and climb in my own time with the odd bit of sailing chucked in.

    Im split between the MBiii and the S500. They both look amazing and would fit what I need! I was just wondering if any one has any experience with the water resistance of the MBiii, humidity, dust, swimming? I am probably over thinking it all so apologise.

    Many thanks,

    Nick

  2. #2
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,851

    Help choosing a watch!

    Hi Nick, welcome to the forum - thanks for joining us here!

    Two fantastic choices, what a tough duo to pick between!

    The Martin-Baker series, as you no doubt know, have gone through rigorous testing including exposure to salt and water, humidity, vibration and temperature extremes to ensure that it is one tough watch! There are a few videos for you to peruse, hereís one:



    The Faraday cage that Bremont developed and use on the MB to ensure the above criteria is met is also found in the S500 - so thatís one less thing to worry about.

    The water-resistance of the two watches is probably the biggest factor for you, Iíd say - given the sailing and what not. Whilst it doesnít really make *too* much difference real world, the Supermarine is the obvious choice here. On top of this, it has a screw down crown also, which helps make the watch feel more rugged, and will help with stopping dust ingress if thatís something thatís concerning you, but not that it will be an issue with the MBIII for the reasons above!

    Something else to consider is the increased thickness and weight of the S500, so if youíre looking at wearing it with all sorts of outfits, make sure this isnít an issue! I own both the MB (II, not III) and an S500 and you certainly need to take the thickness and the fact it sits higher on the wrist in to account for shirts and what not.

    I hope my rambling and the video helps. Any questions, ask - Iím sure someone here will be able to answer!

    J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 05-12-2021 at 07:40 PM.

  3. #3
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Wow thanks very much!

    I actually hadn't seen those videos before, so thanks for that, they were great! They do sway me towards the MBiii, sailing isn't very often so I might drop that out of the requirements list.
    Pleasure, I'm glad you enjoyed the videos, they are brilliant.

    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ
    As long as it can handle the occasional wild swim and also by looking at the tests, dust and dirt ingress is going to be a slim chance, it seems bomb proof.
    Absolutely - and don't even worry about the water resistance - whilst it isn't the S500, it can more than certainly handling swimming!

    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ
    Im going to go and physically see both of them at the weekend, it's hard to visualise them both from photos online. It would be nice to own both in the future, do you alternate wearing them?
    The S500 is pretty much my daily watch, the MB I must admit I don't wear much, but I've no idea why! Maybe it's time to get it out and give it a wear..

    J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 05-13-2021 at 04:17 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Im split between the MBiii and the S500.
    Not so keen on the S300/S301/S302?

    As J. said, the S500 wears very big on the wrist which is fine if you like that kind of thing. The MBiii is definitely the easier watch to wear on a regular basis. However, I would definitely consider the S302 (or S300/301) in the mix. In practical terms it's a compromise between your two options and also very easy to wear.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 05-13-2021 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote

  5. #5
    Newb
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Im split between the MBiii and the S500.
    Not so keen on the S300/S301/S302?

    As J. said, the S500 wears very big on the wrist which is fine if you like that kind of thing. The MBiii is definitely the easier watch to wear on a regular basis. However, I would definitely consider the S302 (or S300/301) in the mix. In practical terms it's a compromise between your two options and also very easy to wear.
    Hey,

    They are very nice! However I have quite a big wrist (9in) so I have been looking at the large ones, I will add it to the list of ones I will look at this weekend. Definitely agree it's a good blend of the two.

    Thanks,

    Nick
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 05-13-2021 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    London. UK
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Good morning

    They both look amazing and would fit what I need! I was just wondering if any one has any experience with the water resistance of the MBiii, humidity, dust, swimming? I am probably over thinking it all so apologise.

    Many thanks,

    Nick
    Welcome to the forum Nick, both are excellent watches and I use my Bremont for literary everything everyday.

    These are the most versatile watches for every occasion and IMHO the best looking! But I may be biased LOL

    There should be no problem with any of your above concerns except if you want to use the watch for swimming this is something I have not done so cannot comment.

    Good luck with your hunt and do let us know what you decide to choose.

  7. #7
    Newb
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Nick, both are excellent watches and I use my Bremont for literary everything everyday.

    These are the most versatile watches for every occasion and IMHO the best looking! But I may be biased LOL

    There should be no problem with any of your above concerns except if you want to use the watch for swimming this is something I have not done so cannot comment.

    Good luck with your hunt and do let us know what you decide to choose.
    Hey,

    Thanks for the welcome! Which ones do you own?

    By the looks of it they are both solid watches, I think I'm drawn to the MBiii for the story behind it. I will do when I finally make the choose!

    Thanks,

    Nick

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    London. UK
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Hey,

    Thanks for the welcome! Which ones do you own?

    By the looks of it they are both solid watches, I think I'm drawn to the MBiii for the story behind it. I will do when I finally make the choose!

    Thanks,

    Nick
    I have the ALT1-C Anthracite and the MB III (absolutely love both) , if you have a 9 inch wrist I consider that a plus point as you can carry off a larger watch.




  9. #9
    Newb
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post
    I have the ALT1-C Anthracite and the MB III (absolutely love both) , if you have a 9 inch wrist I consider that a plus point as you can carry off a larger watch.



    Hey,

    Thanks very much for the pics they both look very nice!! I don't suppose you have an image of the MBiii while its dark showing the illumination? After seeing the MBiii in the shop to day I think Im 90% sold on it!!

    Thanks,

    Nick

  10. #10
    Newb
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post
    I have the ALT1-C Anthracite and the MB III (absolutely love both) , if you have a 9 inch wrist I consider that a plus point as you can carry off a larger watch.



    Lovely looking watches! I think I'm set on the MBiii now, after seeing them at the weekend! Do you have a shot of it in the dark while its illuminated?

    Thanks

    Nick

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Top Watch Sites