Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing a watch!

Newb

Help choosing a watch!

Good morning all,

Im looking for a bit of help / advice if thats ok. Im after a watch that I can wear anywhere no matter what Im doing.

Im an Army Photographer so my job takes me all over, from snow to desert, jungle to photographing royalty. I like to walk and climb in my own time with the odd bit of sailing chucked in.

Im split between the MBiii and the S500. They both look amazing and would fit what I need! I was just wondering if any one has any experience with the water resistance of the MBiii, humidity, dust, swimming? I am probably over thinking it all so apologise.

Many thanks,

Nick

Help choosing a watch!

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum - thanks for joining us here!

Two fantastic choices, what a tough duo to pick between!

The Martin-Baker series, as you no doubt know, have gone through rigorous testing including exposure to salt and water, humidity, vibration and temperature extremes to ensure that it is one tough watch! There are a few videos for you to peruse, here’s one:

The Faraday cage that Bremont developed and use on the MB to ensure the above criteria is met is also found in the S500 - so that’s one less thing to worry about.

The water-resistance of the two watches is probably the biggest factor for you, I’d say - given the sailing and what not. Whilst it doesn’t really make *too* much difference real world, the Supermarine is the obvious choice here. On top of this, it has a screw down crown also, which helps make the watch feel more rugged, and will help with stopping dust ingress if that’s something that’s concerning you, but not that it will be an issue with the MBIII for the reasons above!

Something else to consider is the increased thickness and weight of the S500, so if you’re looking at wearing it with all sorts of outfits, make sure this isn’t an issue! I own both the MB (II, not III) and an S500 and you certainly need to take the thickness and the fact it sits higher on the wrist in to account for shirts and what not.

I hope my rambling and the video helps. Any questions, ask - I’m sure someone here will be able to answer!

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 05-12-2021 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Im split between the MBiii and the S500.
    Not so keen on the S300/S301/S302?

As J. said, the S500 wears very big on the wrist which is fine if you like that kind of thing. The MBiii is definitely the easier watch to wear on a regular basis. However, I would definitely consider the S302 (or S300/301) in the mix. In practical terms it's a compromise between your two options and also very easy to wear.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 05-13-2021 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote

Good morning

They both look amazing and would fit what I need! I was just wondering if any one has any experience with the water resistance of the MBiii, humidity, dust, swimming? I am probably over thinking it all so apologise.

Many thanks,

Nick
    Welcome to the forum Nick, both are excellent watches and I use my Bremont for literary everything everyday.

These are the most versatile watches for every occasion and IMHO the best looking! But I may be biased LOL

There should be no problem with any of your above concerns except if you want to use the watch for swimming this is something I have not done so cannot comment.

Good luck with your hunt and do let us know what you decide to choose.

I've got 2 Bremonts, S300 and an Alt1-p2 and both are do anything watches.
    The S302 looks like another winner to me as is the S500.
    Good luck whichever way you go and put some pics up when you do take the plunge.

Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Im split between the MBiii and the S500.
    Not so keen on the S300/S301/S302?

As J. said, the S500 wears very big on the wrist which is fine if you like that kind of thing. The MBiii is definitely the easier watch to wear on a regular basis. However, I would definitely consider the S302 (or S300/301) in the mix. In practical terms it's a compromise between your two options and also very easy to wear.
    Hey,

They are very nice! However I have quite a big wrist (9in) so I have been looking at the large ones, I will add it to the list of ones I will look at this weekend. Definitely agree it's a good blend of the two.

Thanks,

Nick
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 05-13-2021 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Nick, both are excellent watches and I use my Bremont for literary everything everyday.

These are the most versatile watches for every occasion and IMHO the best looking! But I may be biased LOL

There should be no problem with any of your above concerns except if you want to use the watch for swimming this is something I have not done so cannot comment.

Good luck with your hunt and do let us know what you decide to choose.
    Hey,

Thanks for the welcome! Which ones do you own?

By the looks of it they are both solid watches, I think I'm drawn to the MBiii for the story behind it. I will do when I finally make the choose!

Thanks,

Nick

Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
    I've got 2 Bremonts, S300 and an Alt1-p2 and both are do anything watches.
    The S302 looks like another winner to me as is the S500.
    Good luck whichever way you go and put some pics up when you do take the plunge.
    Hey,

Thanks! The S500 is definitely a contender, its a tough choice. Oh there will be lots of pictures when I finally get it!

Thanks,

Nick

Wow thanks very much!

I actually hadn't seen those videos before, so thanks for that, they were great! They do sway me towards the MBiii, sailing isn't very often so I might drop that out of the requirements list.
    Pleasure, I'm glad you enjoyed the videos, they are brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ
    As long as it can handle the occasional wild swim and also by looking at the tests, dust and dirt ingress is going to be a slim chance, it seems bomb proof.
    Absolutely - and don't even worry about the water resistance - whilst it isn't the S500, it can more than certainly handling swimming!

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ
    Im going to go and physically see both of them at the weekend, it's hard to visualise them both from photos online. It would be nice to own both in the future, do you alternate wearing them?
    The S500 is pretty much my daily watch, the MB I must admit I don't wear much, but I've no idea why! Maybe it's time to get it out and give it a wear..

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 05-13-2021 at 04:17 PM.

Welcome to the forum.
    I have the S500 BL & absolutely love it, its the sort of watch that I feel can go anywhere.
    I must say the MB III is a watch that has also caught my eye lately, I am sure you will love whatever model you chose.
    Here is my S500.