Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scuff on crystal

Scuff on crystal

It had to happen I suppose considering I wear it most days, I don't know how & I don't know when it happened, but I first noticed it Wed evening, it is just under the 12 marker.

It is just under a year old & I feel too soon to send it back to Bremont for a replacement crystal/service.

To my mind I have 2 choices leave it as it is, or do as I done to my previous Breitling & polish the AR coating off the glass completely.

This is the problem with AR coating, it is softer than the sapphire crystal.

Has anyone tried to remove the coating off a Bremont watch?

If its not bothering you, just leave it and get it done when it eventually needs to go for a service. Afterall it's a bit of character and who is to say youbwont immediately do it again.
    I've a pam1b with a dent on bezel and chip on crystal, been there at least 8 yrs.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I have the same type mark/scuff on mine. But my case is pretty scuffed, so the crystal matches the case. All that will be replaced when it gets serviced by Bremont.

I would suggest to leave it as it is and have it changed when it goes in for a service. Glad you wear it most days as watches are to be worn and enjoyed, any minor cosmetic imperfections will only add character to the watch.

Scuff on crystal

Quote Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post
    I would suggest to leave it as it is and have it changed when it goes in for a service. Glad you wear it most days as watches are to be worn and enjoyed, any minor cosmetic imperfections will only add character to the watch.
    I would agree with this, although I must admit it would annoy me and I’d probably have to get it changed!

I certainly wouldn’t try and remove the rest of the AR yourself (as was popular with Breitling!) - you don’t want to fall fowl of the warranty, or make a mess of it and scuff your case or bezel.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    I would agree with this, although I must admit it would annoy me and I’d probably have to get it changed!

I certainly wouldn’t try and remove the rest of the AR yourself (as was popular with Breitling!) - you don’t want to fall fowl of the warranty, or make a mess of it and scuff your case or bezel.

J.
    Do you think this would void the warranty then J?

I thought it was the movement that was really covered by the 3 year warranty, removing the AR coating surely is a personal preference?

I have had a reply from C/Services today, a replacement crystal is £245 or if I wait until a service £115.

Somebody on another forum recommended asking them if they have had a bad batch of crystals, as he said the damage does not look like a scratch, rather the coating has peeled away.
    I have asked the question & sent a couple of pics to them to have a look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    Do you think this would void the warranty then J?

I thought it was the movement that was really covered by the 3 year warranty, removing the AR coating surely is a personal preference?
    On the face of it, probably not, but I don’t think it’s worth the hassle if it did. Brands can get ‘funny’ around this sort of thing.

As for your issue, looks like it could be a manufacturing issue? The way it’s come off and the ‘chunk’ that is missing is somewhat unusual IMO.

I had some good news today, I sent Emily in C/S a couple of pictures over the weekend of the missing AR coating, she has said it looks like an anomaly from manufacture & if I send the watch to them they will replace it FOC.
    To say I am very pleased is an understatement, well done Bremont.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    I had some good news today, I sent Emily in C/S a couple of pictures over the weekend of the missing AR coating, she has said it looks like an anomaly from manufacture & if I send the watch to them they will replace it FOC.
    To say I am very pleased is an understatement, well done Bremont.

This is great news, try doing the same with one of the other high end brands and then share the answer with us LOL!