Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality control

Quality control

Morning everyone

I don't know if this is the correct sort of title for the thread, but I wasn't sure what else to name it.

Something I've had in my mind for a while is how there appear to be quite a few Bremonts that have had to be returned for warranty repairs. From general internet surfing and looking through sales ads', it seems not uncommon to see a handwritten note from Bremont in the ad' referencing a repair that has been undertaken. I have three: my S200 had to go back under warranty, and now my S500 will need to as I've just noticed that the date is changing between 5 and 7.30ish. Also, when I bought my MB from an AD, the guy mentioned during a telephone call that about 1 in 7 Bremonts will need to be returned under warranty. This seemed something of an exaggeration to me, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's true.

I've had quite a few watches over the years and the only other issue I had was with an Omega PO that stopped after a long dive in cold water (it was replaced).

Appreciate your thoughts, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by nellydog View Post
    Morning everyone

I don't know if this is the correct sort of title for the thread, but I wasn't sure what else to name it.

Something I've had in my mind for a while is how there appear to be quite a few Bremonts that have had to be returned for warranty repairs. From general internet surfing and looking through sales ads', it seems not uncommon to see a handwritten note from Bremont in the ad' referencing a repair that has been undertaken. I have three: my S200 had to go back under warranty, and now my S500 will need to as I've just noticed that the date is changing between 5 and 7.30ish. Also, when I bought my MB from an AD, the guy mentioned during a telephone call that about 1 in 7 Bremonts will need to be returned under warranty. This seemed something of an exaggeration to me, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's true.

I've had quite a few watches over the years and the only other issue I had was with an Omega PO that stopped after a long dive in cold water (it was replaced).

Appreciate your thoughts, guys.
    I bought an S300 in July which I had to send back last month as it was gaining too much time.
    Before I sent it back I ordered a LE Lancaster Alt1-p2 which i hope will not need to go back.
    The only other new watch that needed fettlin' within the warranty time was a Tag Heuer Aquaracer Calibre.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

4 out of 7 have been back. All for different things. All rectified. All seem to be working well.

Engineering has its risks.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    4 out of 7 have been back. All for different things. All rectified. All seem to be working well.

Engineering has its risks.

You mean you have 7 and 4 have needed work under warranty, or 4 out of 7 generally? Either way, that's not acceptable. Engineering may have its risks, but I don't see that as a way of explaining away that level of faults.

Yep I had 7. But the issues where all noted early l, rectified immediately and we are taking 6 - 8 years ago now. The last few purchased have been fine.
    For me I'm content knowing that my issues were dealt quickly. Most were minor issues which should have been captured at final check.
    But who hasn't bought a car and for it not to go back some some minor issue. If you want error free. Buy quartz. It works or stops .

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    Yep I had 7. But the issues where all noted early l, rectified immediately and we are taking 6 - 8 years ago now. The last few purchased have been fine.
    For me I'm content knowing that my issues were dealt quickly. Most were minor issues which should have been captured at final check.
    But who hasn't bought a car and for it not to go back some some minor issue. If you want error free. Buy quartz. It works or stops .

Yep, I get that, and yes the CS is second to none, but it just seems to be more of an issue with Bremont than other brands; I've had more Breitlings and no issues, and the Omega was, I think, a combination of the early 2500 movement and being underwater for an hour in winter thickening the oil. I'm not knocking the brand, just wondering if how things appear to me are how they actually are.

I am not trying to divert the question away from Bremont quality control so please don't shoot me, but is it not true most Bremont watches use ETA or Valjoux 7750 movements?
    If so, surely they buy them in already assembled & COSC tested?
    Could you not in that case argue that the quality control issue lies with movement manufacture & not Bremont?
    Granted if the issue is not with the movement then yes it is down to Bremont, but otherwise I think it could be argued that their quality control are not actually at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    I am not trying to divert the question away from Bremont quality control so please don't shoot me, but is it not true most Bremont watches use ETA or Valjoux 7750 movements?
    If so, surely they buy them in already assembled & COSC tested?
    Could you not in that case argue that the quality control issue lies with movement manufacture & not Bremont?
    Granted if the issue is not with the movement then yes it is down to Bremont, but otherwise I think it could be argued that their quality control are not actually at fault.
    Yes, I believe they do, but I assume they do some kind of modification before they use the movements in their watches. I could be wrong, of course. Either way, I would still expect Bremont to quality assure them. The Breitling and Omega models I have and have had use ETA as a base movement. In terms of my S500, someone pointed out it could be a result of the hands being put on without changing the date first, but who knows? We'll see how it pans out; I'm not terribly worried as I know Bremont can be relied upon to put things right, it just makes me think about whether I'd buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    Just an FYI - The 7750 series is used by the chronograph Bremont's, 3 handers use something like the 2824 or 2836, for example.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by nellydog View Post
    Yes, I believe they do, but I assume they do some kind of modification before they use the movements in their watches. I could be wrong, of course. Either way, I would still expect Bremont to quality assure them. The Breitling and Omega models I have and have had use ETA as a base movement. In terms of my S500, someone pointed out it could be a result of the hands being put on without changing the date first, but who knows? We'll see how it pans out; I'm not terribly worried as I know Bremont can be relied upon to put things right, it just makes me think about whether I'd buy another one.
    Hasn't stopped me buying them since. I have experience knowing their CS is outstanding. Yes my other brands I've owned/ own be it iwc/breitling/omega/rolex/Cartier/Panerai/Seiko have had less QC issues. Maybe I've been lucky as most were bought second hand.

My old IWC Top Gun went back a few times and was never that content with what came back or the time to rectify.

I'd rather know that warranty is honoured, than living in expectations that will be. If watches were perfect 100% all of the time, there would be no need to issue 3 year warranty.

Thats my 2 penniesworth. Better the devil you know.