Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it about Bremont?

What is it about Bremont?

A topic I've seen plenty of discussion about on this forum and others. What is it about Bremont.....that brings out such opposing viewpoints. What is it about Bremont...... that means the residual value of their watches is quite low yet the comparable build quality with other mainstream brands is quite high. What is it about Bremont..... that they bring out some of the most spectacular looking limited edition watches and yet despite being British, the average British watch buyer will look at Rolex, Tag and Omega in a store window and almost completely ignore the Bremont display.

There's no argument that Bremont make outstanding watches, the build quality is superb and the customer service could be regarded as second to none. Yet they launch a new watch and online comments inevitably comment on the selling price, the supposedly poor marketing bs and comments about where the name came from. It happens almost every time. Those who like Bremont defend them, those who don't condemn them, yet there doesn't seem to be a middle ground?

Bremont are also now available on the high street, yet watch passing customers at a jewellers window and see how many stop to look at the Bremont stand. Inevitably they drift toward the more 'known' brands. Odd, simply because even at a glance, the Bremont watches appear more solidly built and aesthetically appealing than the competition (in my opinion).

Then we get to residual values. Barring a few exceptions, the value of the watches tend to fall quite rapidly. Not necessarily more so than some other watch brands but enough to put off a lot of people buying new. I've often heard of people commenting that you should never pay full price for a Bremont as the pre-owned price is so much more affordable.

My personal opinion of Bremont watches is that they are among the best, if not the best at their price point. I've yet to see a better looking dress watch than the DH-88, a better 'casual' watch than the MBII, a better all round watch than the ALT1-C and anything to top the 1918, Supersonic and Hercules Platinum as limited edition 'collector' pieces (I could add a few others under the LE banner as well). The customer service is astounding and the staff at the various boutiques make you want to call in as you pass simply just to say hello. Yes, the watches are quite highly priced for the average person in the street but that's the point, they're something that the average person in the street may own one day but possibly not right now. That person will be looking in a jewellers window thinking that one day they'll possibly own a Tag, an Omega, a Mont Blanc, a Grand Seiko.... or if they're really 'lucky', a Rolex. but what about Bremont.....?

Yeah, it's odd isn't it, although I imagine potential buyers / owners won't necessarily have knowledge or awareness of the difference in engineering and build quality between Bemont and other brands. Also, there is the simple fact that as a relatively "new" brand (compared to, for example, Omega) it's not so much in the consciousness of people who may be looking at a higher-end watch purchase. Then there is the fact it may be considered more of a niche brand at the moment, a bit like Sinn, perhaps. Regardless, it's a brand like any other in that it will have its followers and its critics, but I think it's fairly clear that those who own and appreciate a Bremont have a greater, positive voice than those who don't.

I have three (as well as some of those other brands) and can't rule out more.

A quick answer to a very good opening post.

For me the issue with Bremont is the over use of the term limited edition. They should stick to producing one unique watch a year. You mention DH-88 for me yes stunning watch. But also looks far to close to the Alt1-WT.

I also think they need to reduce the number that military units can have produced. God knows how many the parachute regiment or airborne brigade variants there are but I've seen 3 or 4 this past 2 years alone produced.

Even though I have benefited by having military discount. I think Bremont need to reduce the amount they offer at least by half.

Finally, those individuals that like collecting watches, would struggle with bremont. There are just far too many bremont watches out there.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

One particular site, TZUK, is absolutely dripping with hatred for Bremont.
    Stealing or inventing their heritage are 2 of the most popular viewpoints on there.

Tag Heuer, another company with poor residual value also gets attacked but Bremont have pushed them in the background.

The 2 companies have both been attacked for issuing too many models but surely they aren't the only ones?

Some of Bremonts time pieces are stunning, some are nice, some are mundane in my opinion which won't be the same as everyone elses.There are some gold Rolexes that I wouldn't use as a paper weight but I've no hatred for them.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

My personal opinion of Bremont watches is that they are among the best, if not the best at their PRICE POINT.

Agree 100% and this is coming form someone who has enjoyed and used PP, L&S, VC, IWC, Panerai, Omega, JLC and many other brands, yes including a Rolex Perpetual Calendar.

I don't rant about the worst time keepers I have ever had were the VC, my IWC's and the Pam! on other watch forums.

I love my Bremont and yes it is old but as it still keeps near perfect time, I do not want to have it serviced as my motto which may be wrong is 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' - plus I cannot stay without it for long! LOL

Either you are an outside the box thinker or you aren't. I'm more of a contrarian myself and have never bought into groupthink.

From the moment I stumbled across Bremont in an AD (thanks Lyndon if you are here!) I have been a fan. I knew nothing of anyone landing in French field or of producing a watch that can be worn when ejecting from a fighter plane so none of that had any effect on me, nor does it now.

Having searched for my first 'big' watch purchase I was actually starting to give up. Rolex designs were and continue to be as dull as ditchwater to me and are a dime a dozen where I live, I loved Omega's engineering but they left me cold on the wrist (AT excepted), Tudor - that hour hand though and on and on. Nothing I saw convinced me to lay down the kind of money they demanded.

The first time I saw a Bremont and put one on my wrist it was instant love. Fantastic build quality, designs that really made my heart sing and, being the contrarian, they were an 'outsider'. I've yet to see anyone else wearing a Bremont and I like that.

As to why others don't see what I see, that's okay, they are free to be wrong. LOL

Some people want the security of buying a big name. Some aren't really that interested in a watch - they are more concerned with the name as a status symbol. Some people will go with the flow. Tastes are different. Values (as in what's important to them in a watch) are different. And, apparently, many require the need to feel better about their big purchase by putting down other brands - they need a sense of 'moral superiority' that they will dress up in the language of heritage or residuals or Superlative or whatever.

All I know, is that Bremont watches speak to me as no other brand does. Yeah, I do wish they weren't the Rodney Dangerfield in the room sometimes but it doesn't affect me, I'm a big Rodney Dangerfield fan.

My personal opinion is that Bremont's reputation will continue to grow and those of us who were early adopters will, one day, be able to tell the nay-sayers 'We told you so".
    In order of acquisition: Solo - ALT1C/PW - S500 - Broadsword - Boeing247Chrono

Admin of WatchChat on Facebook - the friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.

I can't really answer any of you questions with reasonable answer.

I love my S500, it is as good as any other watch I own, reliable, solid & good looking.
    My friend has just bought the same watch because he liked it so much & he had never heard of Bremont.

I work with a few people who have a love for watches & until I purchased mine had also never heard of Bremont, there was one exception a chap in his mid 60's who had spotted them in his local AD, he said he plans to own one before he retires.

My take on the depreciation issue is that they are a relatively young company & are not as well known as some of the bigger players. People desire Rolex, PP & AP etc & are willing to pay a lot of money used for them, this is not really the case with Bremont, but who knows 20 or 30 years down the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    For me the issue with Bremont is the over use of the term limited edition. They should stick to producing one unique watch a year. You mention DH-88 for me yes stunning watch. But also looks far to close to the Alt1-WT.

I also think they need to reduce the number that military units can have produced. God knows how many the parachute regiment or airborne brigade variants there are but I've seen 3 or 4 this past 2 years alone produced.
    I agree about the military watches and the limited editions. The military watches I especially have an issue with. I'm not really sure why retail buyers should be expected to, in effect, subsidise the military buyers. I think it is enough that Bremont offer custom variations of watches for the military without (reputedly) an incredible discount that isn't really warranted, especially as so many of those watches are sold on by the military owners. I have a similar issue with the MB1 watches. While I support and understand the reason for the red barrel, I think that it should only be allowed for the original owner and should remain the property of Bremont so if the watch is ever sold on, the watch is returned and the barrel replaced with a non red.

the limited editions I have less of an issue with but I do agree that there seem to be too many and in my opinion, some have become a bit 'lazy', case in point being the Project Possible which seems to be a slightly modified Endurance which in turn seemed to be a slightly modified Terra Nova. The Terra Nova and the Endurance matched quite well due to both being linked to Ben Saunders but the Project Possibles link was a little bit tenuous.

the limited edition which I still don't get is the 1947 collection. I can only imagine that it was for personal reasons within Bremont that they were introduced. They are really nice watches but switching out a dial on an existing watch for something hand painted by a 'rock star' from a bygone era and doubling the price leaves me baffled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
    There are some gold Rolexes that I wouldn't use as a paper weight but I've no hatred for them.
    Barring one Rolex model I discovered recently, none of them tempt me at all. I find them rather ordinary and given the associated prices I think there are far better options for watches. That said, purchased at the right time they seem to be an extraordinary investment! (for no good reason that I can tell!)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
    Either you are an outside the box thinker or you aren't. I'm more of a contrarian myself and have never bought into groupthink.

From the moment I stumbled across Bremont in an AD (thanks Lyndon if you are here!) I have been a fan. I knew nothing of anyone landing in French field or of producing a watch that can be worn when ejecting from a fighter plane so none of that had any effect on me, nor does it now.

Having searched for my first 'big' watch purchase I was actually starting to give up. Rolex designs were and continue to be as dull as ditchwater to me and are a dime a dozen where I live, I loved Omega's engineering but they left me cold on the wrist (AT excepted), Tudor - that hour hand though and on and on. Nothing I saw convinced me to lay down the kind of money they demanded.

The first time I saw a Bremont and put one on my wrist it was instant love. Fantastic build quality, designs that really made my heart sing and, being the contrarian, they were an 'outsider'. I've yet to see anyone else wearing a Bremont and I like that.

As to why others don't see what I see, that's okay, they are free to be wrong. LOL

Some people want the security of buying a big name. Some aren't really that interested in a watch - they are more concerned with the name as a status symbol. Some people will go with the flow. Tastes are different. Values (as in what's important to them in a watch) are different. And, apparently, many require the need to feel better about their big purchase by putting down other brands - they need a sense of 'moral superiority' that they will dress up in the language of heritage or residuals or Superlative or whatever.

All I know, is that Bremont watches speak to me as no other brand does. Yeah, I do wish they weren't the Rodney Dangerfield in the room sometimes but it doesn't affect me, I'm a big Rodney Dangerfield fan.

My personal opinion is that Bremont's reputation will continue to grow and those of us who were early adopters will, one day, be able to tell the nay-sayers 'We told you so".
    Good post!