Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it about Bremont?

Quote Originally Posted by jonobailey View Post
    Value is subjective - I know people will happily pay 60-70% of retail when I sell them, it doesn't mean I personally wouldn't buy a different watch with my money. They are in a competitive price segment.

When a Bremont chrono is sold at rrp. for £5,000 there are too many alternative options for me to consider purchasing - a Rolex OP would be less on bracelet, with in house movement, white gold markers etc (which Bremont do not use) or for a tool watch, or for a tool watch a technically superior Damasko DC86 with a heavily modified movement, with a central chronohand is almost half the price - Any 'luxury' watch can be argued as being overpriced, but I think Bremont prices are clearly a little too high
    I completely agree with your first comment and the watch market in general is very competitive, regardless of the price bracket. What it suggests however, is that Bremont watches aren't overpriced. We all have our preferences which is what makes the market place so interesting.

One comment you've made which I've brought up before on this forum. Does an in-house movement really matter? For the majority of watch owners, it doesn't and it doesn't suggest that a watch should either have a higher value (unless that movement is brand new and the manufacture needs to recoup their investment) or that it's better quality.

I don't know enough about Damasko watches, probably as they're not exactly commonplace in the UK, to comment about them but from pictures I've seen they're not exactly aesthetically pleasing (very subjective I know). However, I am curious why or how the DC86 can be 'technically superior' to a Bremont? Please explain what you mean by technically superior.

From any comparison between watches that I've seen in the UK, very few match the build quality of a Bremont. Last year I had a look at a Brietling Bentley limited edition watch for £7k and within 5 minutes I decided I was wasting the salespersons time as the build quality wasn't anything like that of the Bremonts I've seen.

Received my S500 today - now that is an awesome watch and will be staying with me. Despite the stated dimensions (43mm dia, 16mm thick) it wears so well. Bezel action is superb and design has really matured, since the first gen models I looked at previously.

Going back to money, how is that model only £495 more than a Mach 1/2/3?
    Nice!

I guess that an S500 is only £495 more than a Airco simply because the same amount of work will go into making each watch barring the pressure testing.

Interestingly, I have a similar view of Breitling as I do of Bremont, I like their watches but would never pay RRP as the residuals arenít great and ADs are willing / accepting to do a deal

Laings are offering 25% off a Navitimer just now, which would tempt me, but I picked up a Hurricane Avenger 45mm with 40% off last year with the Breitlight case that was a great deal for a great watch.

Similarly, I am prepared to wait for a good deal on a Bremont, which is how I picked up the Hercules. To pay list at £9.5k for a Bremont, even a limited edition is punchy, especially when the comparison includes others such as a JLC Master Control Calendar which is a magnificent watch.

Bremont arenít alone in poor residuals which drives the need periodically for heavy discounting, I have only paid full retail for two watches, my blue dial Audemars Piguet RO and a Rolex Milgauss...I even got discounts on a LE Grand Seiko and Vacheron Constantin Overseas for context.

They make great watches, which Iím happy to own, end of!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I completely agree with your first comment and the watch market in general is very competitive, regardless of the price bracket. What it suggests however, is that Bremont watches aren't overpriced. We all have our preferences which is what makes the market place so interesting.

One comment you've made which I've brought up before on this forum. Does an in-house movement really matter? For the majority of watch owners, it doesn't and it doesn't suggest that a watch should either have a higher value (unless that movement is brand new and the manufacture needs to recoup their investment) or that it's better quality.

I don't know enough about Damasko watches, probably as they're not exactly commonplace in the UK, to comment about them but from pictures I've seen they're not exactly aesthetically pleasing (very subjective I know). However, I am curious why or how the DC86 can be 'technically superior' to a Bremont? Please explain what you mean by technically superior.

From any comparison between watches that I've seen in the UK, very few match the build quality of a Bremont. Last year I had a look at a Brietling Bentley limited edition watch for £7k and within 5 minutes I decided I was wasting the salespersons time as the build quality wasn't anything like that of the Bremonts I've seen.
    I agree that in-house is not always better, you know with a COSC ETA you are getting a reliable, robust servicable movement- important for a tool watch. But the 38-42hr power reserve is poor compared to the competition. Also even COSC ETA movements are not particularly expensive, which should be reflected in the costs.

Some of the Damasko tech is brilliant, although I agree some of the design can be a little dull. The DC86 specifically has an modified Vaijoux where over 50% of the parts are replaced to achieve a central chronograph hand which circles the dial once an hour, while a separate central minute hand jumps at 1 minute intervals, making the chrono incredibly easy to use. This replaces the out of production Lemania 500 movement which is out of production.

In addition my Damasko watches which are 6 or 7 years old are in perfect condition as the case hardening is so effective - even after hitting it against a rough brick wall and metal posts it was spotless, on the other hand I have seen many scuffed and scratched Bremonts and have even received some apparantly new Bremonts with scratches and dents from the AD. Other models offer in house movements with lengthy power reserves and silicon anti-magnetic movements for less than the entry level Bremont.

Damasko offer remarkable value, whereas Bremont decided to almost go head to head with Omega, IWC, Breitling, Tudor.... I think some peoples issue is that they almost see this as arrogance from a 'new kid on the block'. Again this isn't a criticism of Bremont, otherwise I wouldn't own some, its just that they have really put themselves in a competitive price point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5f9f8191e9818654259680.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	4761  
    Last edited by jonobailey; 01-10-2021 at 09:47 PM.

In addition my Damasko watches which are 6 or 7 years old are in perfect condition as the case hardening is so effective - even after hitting it against a rough brick wall and metal posts it was spotless, on the other hand I have seen many scuffed and scratched Bremonts and have even received some apparantly new Bremonts with scratches and dents from the AD.

What were they doing to their watches. My oldest Bremont I got in either 2012/13 looks exactly the same as when I got it. I had a white solo that I dropped off the sink onto a tiled floor. Not a scratch to be seen. Even though a jewel dislodged and watch needed to go for a service.

Only bremont my bremont titanium bracelet shows signs of wear. The remainder you would be hard pushed to find any marks.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Received my S500 today - now that is an awesome watch and will be staying with me. Despite the stated dimensions (43mm dia, 16mm thick) it wears so well. Bezel action is superb and design has really matured, since the first gen models I looked at previously.

Going back to money, how is that model only £495 more than a Mach 1/2/3?
    Beautiful, enjoy the watch Jono.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    What were they doing to their watches. My oldest Bremont I got in either 2012/13 looks exactly the same as when I got it. I had a white solo that I dropped off the sink onto a tiled floor. Not a scratch to be seen. Even though a jewel dislodged and watch needed to go for a service.

Only bremont my bremont titanium bracelet shows signs of wear. The remainder you would be hard pushed to find any marks.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Mine has quite a few knocks and bangs on it. Iíd prefer not to have a hardened case ó that way I could at least pair a bracelet to it!

My case isnít badly marked, but it has many scuffs and dings on it. I never take my watch off, and I work quite hard, so itís important that my watch keeps up with my life. My Rolexes did and so did my Omega; I expect that from my Bremont too. I could care less about how marks the case is and care much more about whether or not I can put my watch on a bracelet (which I canít with the Bremont).

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. :smokin::twit::smokin:

SS Submariner no date 1992 (flipped); SS GMT II 2007 (flipped); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (flipped); SS Sub C 2011 (flipped); 16753, '81 TT GMT 'Root Beer'

I agree that in-house is not always better, you know with a COSC ETA you are getting a reliable, robust servicable movement- important for a tool watch. But the 38-42hr power reserve is poor compared to the competition. Also even COSC ETA movements are not particularly expensive, which should be reflected in the costs.

Some of the Damasko tech is brilliant, although I agree some of the design can be a little dull. The DC86 specifically has an modified Vaijoux where over 50% of the parts are replaced to achieve a central chronograph hand which circles the dial once an hour, while a separate central minute hand jumps at 1 minute intervals, making the chrono incredibly easy to use. This replaces the out of production Lemania 500 movement which is out of production.

In addition my Damasko watches which are 6 or 7 years old are in perfect condition as the case hardening is so effective - even after hitting it against a rough brick wall and metal posts it was spotless, on the other hand I have seen many scuffed and scratched Bremonts and have even received some apparantly new Bremonts with scratches and dents from the AD. Other models offer in house movements with lengthy power reserves and silicon anti-magnetic movements for less than the entry level Bremont.

Damasko offer remarkable value, whereas Bremont decided to almost go head to head with Omega, IWC, Breitling, Tudor.... I think some peoples issue is that they almost see this as arrogance from a 'new kid on the block'. Again this isn't a criticism of Bremont, otherwise I wouldn't own some, its just that they have really put themselves in a competitive price point.
    Iíve toyed with one of these too. What puts me off is the size (same thing that has caused me to move away from Bremont). Why canít the Damasko be 42mm and 14mm thick. Rolex can build a gmt in a 40mm x 12mm case, so why does everything have to be so damn fat. It drives me nuts.

Damasko have made leaps and bounds in the right direction ó I would prefer a bit of polishing here and there, though. Just because Iím rough on my watches doesnít mean I donít like them to look nice under a shirt.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. :smokin::twit::smokin:

SS Submariner no date 1992 (flipped); SS GMT II 2007 (flipped); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (flipped); SS Sub C 2011 (flipped); 16753, '81 TT GMT 'Root Beer'

Quote Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
    Iíve toyed with one of these too. What puts me off is the size (same thing that has caused me to move away from Bremont). Why canít the Damasko be 42mm and 14mm thick. Rolex can build a gmt in a 40mm x 12mm case, so why does everything have to be so damn fat. It drives me nuts.

Damasko have made leaps and bounds in the right direction ó I would prefer a bit of polishing here and there, though. Just because Iím rough on my watches doesnít mean I donít like them to look nice under a shirt.

The Damasko is 42mm diameter and 14mm thick?

They wear very well.

What is it about Bremont?

The Damasko is 42mm diameter and 14mm thick?

They wear very well.
    It is? When I reached out them by e-mail, they told me it was 44mm x 15mm thick? Did they confuse it with a different model?

Their bracelet is a bit industrial ó Iím not a fan of the screws in each link, and there would be the same issue of trying to find a third party bracelet due to the case hardening match.

Do you have a wrist shot?

Last edited by shedlock2000; 01-11-2021 at 12:15 AM.