Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it about Bremont?

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    That's an interesting question. The price of Bremonts is a common point of discussion. It's interesting that they're often considered overpriced when similar offerings from other manufacturers cost the same. This Omega for instance - https://www.watches-of-switzerland.c...01/p/17331760/ - more expensive than the Hawking and yet in no way superior that I can tell?
    If I had a choose I would not even have to think about it. It would be the Omega 50th anniversary all day long.

Even the presentation out does Bremont this time around.

https://youtu.be/5TK3_pDtxz8

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andyg156; 11-25-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    If I had a choose I would not even have to think about it. It would be the Omega 50th anniversary all day long.

I have to agree with the choice, I would go with this particular Omega every time, its a cracking watch. I have the Professional model, but this is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
    Well, it’s lighter, prettier, better constructed, has an in-house movement that has 50 years of well-defined heritage, it has the much loved (not that I understand it) snoopy tie-in, the chronograph function, the tachometer function, a better bracelet (in that it comes with one AND it’s better), has better case dimensions, and the list goes on.
    Interesting points, let me take them one by one.
    Lighter - assuming that you're right, why is lighter better? I prefer heavier.
    Prettier - subjective and I happen to disagree
    Better constructed - in what way? I suspect that's more of an opinion than fact
    In house movement - how is that better or worse? Irrelevant in terms of cost.
    50 years of well defined heritage - doesn't make a product better or worse, simply that the company has a history.
    Snoopy tie in - ok, I'll give you that one
    Chronograph function - many less expensive Bremonts have that feature so cost irrelevant
    Tachymeter function - again, some less expensive Bremonts have that feature so again, cost irrelevant
    Bracelet - subjective, many people, myself included, prefer straps
    Case dimensions - subjective

In short, you have in no way shown how the Omega is any better than the Bremont for an equivalent cost. Subjectively, you have shown how the Omega is your preference but not how the watch is any better. For the record, I like the Omega but actually prefer the Bremont.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    I have to agree with the choice, I would go with this particular Omega every time, its a cracking watch. I have the Professional model, but this is amazing.
    Interesting choices. What is it about the Omega that appeals to you more than the Bremont? The last few responses bring me back to my original question and topic of the thread, what is it about Bremont?

Curiously, I thought the Omega presentation was awful. I like the watch and the box it comes in but the youtube video would have put me off.

Let's add a Breitling into the mix for a bit of variety. Again, similar cost and stainless steel case.

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watc...2/AB01181A1Q1/

Interesting choices. What is it about the Omega that appeals to you more than the Bremont? The last few responses bring me back to my original question and topic of the thread, what is it about Bremont?

Curiously, I thought the Omega presentation was awful. I like the watch and the box it comes in but the youtube video would have put me off.
    I really like the design & the heritage of the Moonwatch & the Snoopy tie in. The back case design is also a cool feature as well.

As for the Breitling you have shown, no sorry not for me, I would take the Bremont ALTI-ZT every time over the Breitling.

I love the Bremont S500 BL that I own & can tell you it is every bit as well made & designed as my old Seamaster Pro that I used to own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    I really like the design & the heritage of the Moonwatch & the Snoopy tie in. The back case design is also a cool feature as well.

As for the Breitling you have shown, no sorry not for me, I would take the Bremont ALTI-ZT every time over the Breitling.

I love the Bremont S500 BL that I own & can tell you it is every bit as well made & designed as my old Seamaster Pro that I used to own.
    The Breitling does nothing for me neither.
    The only Breitling I like is the Superocean but that's only my opinion.
    I've heard Breitling's service costs make Rokex look like a Timpson battery change but I may be wrong??
    The Omega on the other hand is simply stunning but again that's just my opinion and I love white or cream dialled watches even though I haven't got one.
    I agree also on the Supermarines, I love mine even though it's currently back at Bremont being fettled and I'm missing it and it's sunburst dial.
    I've got a Tag Aquaracer on at the minute which also had to go back under warranty with a problem with the calibre 5 movement.
    When I first searched watch forums it was to see if this problem was a one off but I found it was, if not common, not rare either.
    People have had problems with Rolex, Tudor, Breitling, Omega etc etc and some of the customer service stories haven't gone as smooth as Tag Heuer and Bremont so I'm happy so far.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but did you miss the presentation box for the Bremont Hawking. It looks much like the standard watch wallet which comes with the majority of Bremont's. Yes the box captures a bit of the Cambridge Blue. But that is about all. It seems very lazy for a LE.

I’m really not very interested in limited editions, because they’re usually too expensive for what they are and I am rarely interested in the subject.

I would just prefer a set of watches that have usable functionality. The shock absorbency is such a function, as is a lumed bezel. Bremont have done relatively well in this respect, but so have many other brands — thus it’s reputation is not especially earned.

In order to earn a reputation you need to do something outstandingly or novelly — or well-enough for a long time. Bremont doesn’t seem to be able to pull any of these out of its hat, and to make matters worse, the world is calling out for smaller watches and Bremont perpetuates with its big cases and avoids doing anything interesting with its smaller cases (why would you put the ion-bird in the Boeing case instead of the S301, for instance? Knock-off Chinease Etas have been squeezed into 11mm thick cases for 30 years — so it’s not that a gmt can’t be made practically thin it’s that Bremont choose the easy (boring) path).

Bremont’s rep will likely improve over the years, as they don’t make a bad product. But they do need to pay their dues — which I don’t believe they are. Omega’s new Bond thing, the NTTD watch has already sparked a number of homages from smaller brands — and it largely uses a pre-existing case design. What they’ve done is put some actual thought into the dial and handset and the balance of the watch. Then they’ve paired it with a novel mesh (because what use is leather on a watch that is meant to dive). Bremont have ignored their bracelet option for too long — the damn thing doesn’t even match their case colour unless you get the watch in titanium.

Bremont need to be more careful in their designs, they need to heed the market needs more and respond accordingly (Omega saw the upturn of vintage watches and thinned out their smp case and let the Crystal do some of the work, vintaged-up the dial, handset, and markers, and then shoved it all in a titanium case with a (pretty much) first ever tapered titanium mesh. Bremont get a dude to paint a dial or throw someone’s name onto a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. :smokin::twit::smokin:

SS Submariner no date 1992 (flipped); SS GMT II 2007 (flipped); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (flipped); SS Sub C 2011 (flipped); 16753, '81 TT GMT 'Root Beer'

I'm sorry but did you miss the presentation box for the Bremont Hawking. It looks much like the standard watch wallet which comes with the majority of Bremont's. Yes the box captures a bit of the Cambridge Blue. But that is about all. It seems very lazy for a LE.
    I wasn't debating the packaging, I agree that the Omega presentation box is very nice. I thought that the packaging around the Hawking may have been better but some do prefer having a usable wallet as a opposed to a box that serves no practical purpose. I'd prefer the box. Bremont have in the past pulled out all the stops though such as with the Supersonic, Battle of Britain collection, 1918, Victory etc.

What I really didn't like was the presentation video for the Omega that you linked to. I thought it was very bland and very poor compared to the Hawking presentation video.

To be perfectly honest, I do like both the Omega and the Hawking but given the choice of one or the other, I would choose the Hawking.