Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it about Bremont?

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    True but there's also a very good chance that the various 'crevices' on a bracelet will hold some of the salt water even after rinsing where as a watch case is (hopefully) sealed and has very few crevices. I can also imagine that some people won't give the watch a thorough rinse after each visit to the ocean. On their own heads be it of course.
    Divers will know to rinse thoroughly and I think it unlikely that any salt will remain afterwards. As I said, I've been diving, spearfishing and surfing for years and never had an issue. My son (surf_fit_academy on insta) has subjected "his" SMP to very frequent and regular surf sessions and sometimes forgets to rinse, but no problems. Of course, if a watch is subjected to salt-water immersion a lot and never rinsed, then that's different.

Old article but worth a read to put things in perspective:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/bremont...y-closer-look/

Quote Originally Posted by nellydog View Post

Thanks a great read and cracking pics in there.
    3 of my favourite British icons got a mention, namely the Spitfire, (Etype) Jaguar and the Norton (70's Commando)

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing this great article.

Agreed, a very good read, thanks for the link.

Have a Bremont MB3 and couple more incoming due to stumbling accross a couple of rediculously good sales offering 50% off.

Build quality is excellent and quality is undoubtedly good, but can fully understand why some question the brand.

- I personally find the never ending limited editions tedious and the links between the subject matter and Bremont tenuous at best and almost childish in their nature.

- Some of the best qualities of Bremont watches can only be fully appreciated by handling the watches, I think many that criticise the brand have probably never handled a Bremont.

- The product range in my opinion is a bit too large and some of the designs are cookie-cutter type designs.

- Price-point is high whatever people say, Breitling Colt with COSC movement is considerably less than a Solo for instance, or while different fully in-house brands such as Nomos / Grand Seiko start at a lower price point and comparable brands such as Sinn or Damasko are considerably less. What Damasko offer for just over 1000 is incredible in comparison to Bremont (and from experience and viewing sales listing their case hardening is massively superior).

- Power reserve of movements is poor and there is limit to what people will pay for an ETA (Giving the movement a different name doesn't stop it from being an ETA). Bremonts modifications are very very minor, compared to what Sinn and Damasko have done for some models.

- If you are not particularly into watches you will choose by brand name and go for Rolex, Breitling or Omega. If you are into watches you would likely look at Sinn or Damasko - just imagine what Bremont would charge for a Damasko DC86, I imagine about 8,000, compared to Damasko's 3,000. (Germany is not exactly a cheap country to manufacture in either).

- Having said all of the above Bremont make great watches and I largely forget about all of the above because overall I like the product, but I fully understand why others may not be able to - especially as nowadays so many people purchase watches online without even handling the product.

- Due to depreciation and the competition I would not consider purchasing a Bremont until they are approx 40% off so they are in the range of Damasko / Sinn - If that is peoples viewpoint it cannot be good for the brand
    Last edited by jonobailey; 01-05-2021 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonobailey View Post
    Have a Bremont MB3 and couple more incoming due to stumbling accross a couple of rediculously good sales offering 50% off.
    Would be great if you would kindly share some pictures of your new incoming Bremont watches.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 01-07-2021 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Fixed quotation.

Quote Originally Posted by jonobailey View Post

Build quality is excellent and quality is undoubtedly good, but can fully understand why some question the brand.

- I personally find the never ending limited editions tedious and the links between the subject matter and Bremont tenuous at best and almost childish in their nature.

- Some of the best qualities of Bremont watches can only be fully appreciated by handling the watches, I think many that criticise the brand have probably never handled a Bremont.

- The product range in my opinion is a bit too large and some of the designs are cookie-cutter type designs.

- Price-point is high whatever people say, Breitling Colt with COSC movement is considerably less than a Solo for instance, or while different fully in-house brands such as Nomos / Grand Seiko start at a lower price point and comparable brands such as Sinn or Damasko are considerably less. What Damasko offer for just over 1000 is incredible in comparison to Bremont (and from experience and viewing sales listing their case hardening is massively superior).

- Power reserve of movements is poor and there is limit to what people will pay for an ETA (Giving the movement a different name doesn't stop it from being an ETA). Bremonts modifications are very very minor, compared to what Sinn and Damasko have done for some models.

- If you are not particularly into watches you will choose by brand name and go for Rolex, Breitling or Omega. If you are into watches you would likely look at Sinn or Damasko - just imagine what Bremont would charge for a Damasko DC86, I imagine about 8,000, compared to Damasko's 3,000. (Germany is not exactly a cheap country to manufacture in either).

- Having said all of the above Bremont make great watches and I largely forget about all of the above because overall I like the product, but I fully understand why others may not be able to - especially as nowadays so many people purchase watches online without even handling the product.

- Due to depreciation and the competition I would not consider purchasing a Bremont until they are approx 40% off so they are in the range of Damasko / Sinn - If that is peoples viewpoint it cannot be good for the brand
    I think your view is much the same as mine.

The question i am struggling with answering is . How do Bremont get people to get their hands on their watches and appreciate why the RRP is what it is? While one way is the military route , but the military already are aware of the discounts available. And i would doubt would never want to pay full price. ( my alt1tude DLC is the only 1 of 9 i have paid RRP) . The AD'S seem to have massive discounts . So if its a shop you pass regularly, you will see these reductions. Enticing to go and have a look and try, but will only have a negative effect on watches at full price.

I still say decreasing the discounts to the military and on their commissioned watches will be a start.

But this approach could be a risk of bremont not selling so many watches. Which they probably rely on to keep their company growing.

No easy answers. But what is highlighted they seem to struggle selling watches at RRP unless it is a specific LE. Even then the H4 and Hawking are still available online New. Whereas the ones before seemed to sell out immediately.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post

I still say decreasing the discounts to the military and on their commissioned watches will be a start.

But this approach could be a risk of bremont not selling so many watches. Which they probably rely on to keep their company growing.

No easy answers. But what is highlighted they seem to struggle selling watches at RRP unless it is a specific LE. Even then the H4 and Hawking are still available online New. Whereas the ones before seemed to sell out immediately.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    I recall a figure from a few years ago which put the Bremont Military & Special Projects 'arm' at over 25% of the total production for Bremont - I would be willing to bet that figure is much higher now. Another thing, as you and I well know, is that side of the business is 'easy' marketing direct to your ideal target market, which for the brand as a whole can only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156
    Even then the H4 and Hawking are still available online New. Whereas the ones before seemed to sell out immediately.

Good spot. I think this is all a hang over from the WF 'issues' - just think, up until very very recently you could find them still at AD's, 6 years after the launch. You'd have been hard pressed to find a P51 or EP120 6 minutes after...!

Quote Originally Posted by jonobailey
    Agreed. There seems to be a lot of 'flack' out there for the brand from those who don't understand or have even never seen or handled one in the flesh. As you say, once you do I think you 'get it.' Everything else aside, there has to be a reason many people who buy one Bremont buy another - that's not something that happens with every brand.

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 01-07-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens
    Agreed. There seems to be a lot of 'flack' out there for the brand from those who don't understand or have even never seen or handled one in the flesh. As you say, once you do I think you 'get it.' Everything else aside, there has to be a reason many people who buy one Bremont buy another - that's not something that happens with every brand.
    So true, Bremont is the only watch company that I ever owned more than one model at any one time and I am looking to get a third one!

I love mechanical watches and have previously owned , PP, L&S, VC, JLC, IWC , Panerai and many others that have come and gone but I have never kept two or more models form any one brand at the same time.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 01-07-2021 at 02:34 PM.