Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bremont Fawley wall clock!

New Bremont Fawley wall clock!

Hey everyone,

Check out this new MBII wall-clock released by Bremont today..

Made in limited numbers, and £695.

More information here: https://www.bremont.com/products/bre...ley-wall-clock

J.

Simply awesome. Only question is, how do I talk the wife into making this our new display piece? ; )

Only 40cm? Another 3cm and it would be exactly 10 times the size.

It's a quartz movement!!!!! Wrong, just wrong!

I like it but the price seems rather steep for a quartz wall clock. It's one of those objects that you might need to see in person to justify the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRichieM View Post
    It's a quartz movement!!!!! Wrong, just wrong!

My reaction at first but then if you're going to make a modern looking wall clock what options are there? Of course, there is the argument that they shouldn't have made it in the first place....

It's also something that I saw pointed out not so long ago on another forum. Bremont are getting a reputation (and not a good one) for the number of limited editions that they bring out, almost as if it's an over used marketing ploy. While I've never had a problem with that for the watches, I'm not so sure how I feel about a 'limited edition' quartz wall clock.

^^^ Yes, it's clearly not meant for me.

I hope it's not made cheaply in China and with a massive margin when sold by Bremont.

It does say painstakingly tooled in the marketing blurb so maybe it is made by them. It does say 'London' on the dial after all. I suppose a handwound version would have cost a *little* more than £695 but isn't that the point of Bremont timepieces?

Yep, this one's not for me!

On another random point, the watches that have been made for the Jaguar range (I think it is) that fit in the dash of the car... how are they powered? Presumably an automatic movement wouldn't do with a car sitting still for long parts of the day. A hand wound version would only work if you drive it every day and remember to wind it. There can't be many of those in production, or was it just a one off? It's just the wall clock made me think of it.

I hope that's the case as well and there is a picture on the Bremont website that makes me imagine that it is a 'solid' wall clock and I can imagine that a lot of the cost will have come from creating the case in aluminium. If that has been manufactured in the UK then a potential customer could see where the cost has come from, that's why I think it's one that you would have to see in person. In all fairness there are plenty of quartz watches available at the same price point so the decision will simply be whether it has a quality 'feel'. I tried to compare against other watch brand wall clocks but there don't seem to be too many. Mondaine do what looks to be a quality one at around half the price. As Mondaines watches are far less expensive then Bremonts clock compares favourably.

If the clock was manually wound I think that would be off putting. It would make the clock a lot more expensive but also, could you imagine having to wind your wall clock every two to three days? I'm sure that it would soon become an irritating exercise. In reference to what you mention about the dash clocks in the cars, I could be corrected but I think the first one was in a Jaguar and the later one in an Aston Martin. While they were a nice touch I did also wonder how they were wound but I think that an automatic mechanism would work in a dash mounted timepiece. After all, if you are driving those cars how they are meant to be driven, the car will rarely be on a horizontal plane.

Great observations about the wall clock.

My car is mostly driven an hour, then sits for 8 hours doing nothing before being driven an hour back, to sit doing nothing again and I'm not sure that would keep an automatic movement going!

But that's more about me. Someone with a far more interesting job and, of course, a beautiful Jaguar would get the full benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    In reference to what you mention about the dash clocks in the cars, I could be corrected but I think the first one was in a Jaguar and the later one in an Aston Martin.
    They have made one for the XJ75 Concept Car, one for the C-X75 Concept Car, and then some for the Queen’s fleet of Jaguars.

Most recently they have made them for the Aston Martin Vanquish 25 - designed and made to actually be taken out of the car and used as a pocket watch.

(Picture from Nick English)

Interestingly, Bremont also made the instrument cluster for the above car - apparently a World first...

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 10-18-2020 at 12:46 PM.