Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bremont ionBird!

Quote Originally Posted by Ticktoc View Post
    Funny you should mention both the Boeing and the Ionbird, they are making good use of that case design now the Boeing partnership has ended.
    Without any reference to RR on the watch there isn't much of story to tell.
    At first I thought this must be a limited edition but it doesn't appear to be? Then I thought well, at least it will have a reference to Rolls Royce or Ionbird on the watch but I can't see one? I think it's a nice enough looking watch but the link to Ionbird is spurious at best. This could have been a newly released watch as a core piece of Bremonts range without the Rolls Royce linked marketing. I'm still really not sure what I think of the watch overall.

No doubt the project will have started way before covid struck and I'm sure one day it will lead to cleaner aeroplanes. Sadly though the the watch is now linked to a company that is laying off 9000 staff with no doubt a lot more in the future if what my nephew says is true, and he should know he works there.

I'm dubious about the idea of any motorised transport being 'cleaner' because it has batteries. The emissions from the vehicle are obviously cleaner but the overall package from production to decommissioning might well be less clean. If we want to be cleaner we simply have to stop consuming as much as we do. Ironically the virus for a relatively brief moment has caused this to happen.

As for the watch being linked to a company laying off many staff, despite that being very close to home for you, it's not an easy situation for any company. Rolls Royce Aerospace is on such a large scale and the downturn in air travel has been so profound that lay offs on a large scale were inevitable. Bremont themselves have made staff redundant. It's a sad inevitability of where we are now. It will change but slowly.

Whoa! I had no idea that the Boeing partnership ended.

To pardon the pun "it was maxed out". Another company that has had its problems.

Fortunately my nephew was one of the lucky ones who survived the first wave of redundancies (ex army and held in high regard) but knows its only time before more jobs are unsustainable.

With no reference on the watch the link with RR could have been dropped and launched as a standard watch, a very nice watch I might say.

Poor timing on Bremont's part.
    Last edited by Ticktoc; 09-28-2020 at 07:01 AM.

Bremont ionBird!

Quote Originally Posted by Ticktoc View Post
    To pardon the pun "it was maxed out". Another company that has had its problems.
    Definitely - and it’s nowhere near over yet for them as a company. The rebranding of the aeroplane by customer airlines as the 737-8 won’t help matters either.

That said, I do believe the director of the FAA has said he’ll fly in the Max before its Release to Service, so that shows confidence in the product at a high level. The famous saying is still true for an overwhelming majority, though - ‘if it ain’t Boeing....’

With no reference on the watch the link with RR could have been dropped and launched as a standard watch, a very nice watch I might say.
    The lack of branding is an intriguing one - it seems you’re either in a ‘love’ or ‘hate’ camp when it comes to visible branding. I’ve seen lots of comments from people asking WHY there is no branding on the watch to tie in to RR. I’d be very interested to find out why.

Maybe - just maybe, though - it’s a strategic move? If it’s unbranded, people who would be put off by (or feel no connection to) aviation or RR will feel more inclined to buy the ionBird? And as we know in these hard times, the more watches sold, the better..

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 09-28-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Maybe RR drew the line at marketing and making parts, not in the same league kind of approach.

Maybe - just maybe, though - it’s a strategic move? If it’s unbranded, people who would be put off by (or feel no connection to) aviation or RR will feel more inclined to buy the ionBird? And as we know in these hard times, the more watches sold,the better.

Now that would be a change of heart from Nick and Giles
    Last edited by Ticktoc; 09-28-2020 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    TMaybe - just maybe, though - it’s a strategic move? If it’s unbranded, people who would be put off by (or feel no connection to) aviation or RR will feel more inclined to buy the ionBird? And as we know in these hard times, the more watches sold, the better..
    If that is the case then why bother with the association to the project at all? It wouldn't surprise me if Rolls Royce told Bremont that they couldn't use their logo on the watches. It's a very confusing scenario altogether.

I think we're all agreed that on its own it's a nice watch, it's the ionBird link that seems somewhat at odds with the watch.

I can’t help but feel they’ve missed the point, if they’re the official timing partner then why does the associated watch not have a stop watch/tachymeter?

Quote Originally Posted by Yarders View Post
    I can’t help but feel they’ve missed the point, if they’re the official timing partner then why does the associated watch not have a stop watch/tachymeter?
    Hey M, good to see you here. How are things?

FWIW, I didn’t think of that - I assumed that the watch was celebratory, and the ‘Official Timing Partner’ bit was covered by the in-cockpit stopwatch they’ve designed?

J.