Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bremont ionBird!

Got to try one of these on yesterday, after surprisingly finding it in a local AD already!!

I was quite taken with it, a lovely light piece on the wrist, and has a lovely vintage feel to it without using the marmite "vintage" lume. And I am firmly in the camp of preferring no partnership branding on the dial. Looking at it it simply as another timepiece from Bremont, I would happily have one!

BUT, I do have to agree with the sentiments of others in that
    - It could have some sort of reference to the partnership or project on the case-back at least.
    - I don't really get how a mechanically driven, vintage styled watch is a good match to a project all about an ultra-modern, super fast, electrically powered plane.
    - Being the official timing partner there could maybe be a timing complication/tachymeter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4631 2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	4710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4632.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	4711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4634.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	4712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4637.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	4713  
    Last edited by chipbutty55; 10-02-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Hey M, good to see you here. How are things?

FWIW, I didnít think of that - I assumed that the watch was celebratory, and the ĎOfficial Timing Partnerí bit was covered by the in-cockpit stopwatch theyíve designed?

J.
    Hi J, all good thanks, playing big computer games for a living now!

I get that they have made something for the cockpit but I think they missed an opportunity to add another Ďvarietyí of watch to their range. Iím sure they donít have a piece with a tachymetre, would have been a nice addition.

Quote Originally Posted by chipbutty55 View Post
    Got to try one of these on yesterday, after surprisingly finding it in a local AD already!!
    Beautiful watch, I really like this one and the Griffon, well done Bremont. Thank you for sharing the pictures.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 10-02-2020 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarders View Post
    Hi J, all good thanks, playing big computer games for a living now!

I get that they have made something for the cockpit but I think they missed an opportunity to add another ‘variety’ of watch to their range. I’m sure they don’t have a piece with a tachymetre, would have been a nice addition.
    Agree - I'm glad to hear you're doing well and having fun (!?) playing big video games..!

As for the tacho, two of the Jaguar watches have one - the Mk II and the D-Type LE. I agree that it would have, at the very least, been a welcome addition here and made sense on this watch, too.

It would have been nice to have seen a 247-based ionBird watch, as that would happily fulfil the timing criteria, and in this vintage-esque styling, I think would have looked great.

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 10-02-2020 at 03:48 PM.

As for the tacho, two of the Jaguar watches have one - the Mk II and the D-Type LE.
    and the Norton V4?

Quote Originally Posted by chipbutty55 View Post
    Looking at it it simply as another timepiece from Bremont, I would happily have one!
    that's more or less my sentiment ar the moment.

as a watch in its own right I think it looks very nice in pictures, I've yet to see it in person. However, the more I think about the ionBird project, the less I see the point. With ionBird, a project team have effectively taken a plane that has done over 400mph with its standard engine, spent nearly £7 million and come up with an electric version that doesn't go as fast but has zero emissions from the power train itself. So where does zero emission air travel link in with a mechanical watch?

As for the tacho, two of the Jaguar watches have one - the Mk II and the D-Type LE. I agree that it would have, at the very least, been a welcome addition here and made sense on this watch, too.

It would have been nice to have seen a 247-based ionBird watch, as that would happily fulfil the timing criteria, and in this vintage-esque styling, I think would have looked great.

J.
    Iíll get my coat.....

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    and the Norton V4?
    That too - Iíd forgotten that that had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarders View Post
    Iíll get my coat.....
    Youíll need it today too, itís a bit wet out there....

J.