Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bremont ionBird!

Bremont ionBird!

Hey everyone,

Announced this morning, in partnership with Rolls-Royce is a new watch - the Bremont ionBird.

Here is what Bremont say about it..

Introducing the new Bremont ionBird, a pilot’s chronometer developed in celebration of Rolls-Royce plc 's ‘Spirit of Innovation’. The all electric plane has been designed to break the world speed record for ‘the world’s fastest electric aeroplane.’

As Official Timing Partner, Bremont was involved in the design of the plane’s cockpit and has machined the stopwatch as well as canopy release components from its Henley-on-Thames manufacturing facility. To celebrate this partnership and look to a new age of aviation, Bremont is releasing a new mechanical chronometer, the Bremont ionBird.

My favourite thing about this new release is actually one of the straps (which is coming soon!) It's called the 'Alerting Strap' and will connect to a Bremont App to provide the user (specifically pilots) with checklists and warnings etc via a haptic tap on the wrist. Cool!

As well as making the watch, Bremont have made a stopwatch for the cockpit of the record-breaking aircraft and also machined some parts for the cockpit canopy in their workshops, so the partnership runs deeper than ‘just’ a watch - a lovely touch.

Prices are £4495 on leather, or £4895 on a bracelet. What are everyone's thoughts?

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 09-24-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Beautiful watch with a cool story. It looked like the area above the crown was in two pieces in the video?

I'm intrigued by the smart strap and what features it will have for day to day use.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    - TexZan -

Quote Originally Posted by TexZan View Post
    Beautiful watch with a cool story. It looked like the area above the crown was in two pieces in the video?

I'm intrigued by the smart strap and what features it will have for day to day use.

Hey Tex - that’s not gone unnoticed, it certainly appears there is a ‘fault’ on the watch in the video? As you can see, it’s not there in the press shot I’ve added below.

J.

Interesting they left that in the video. I assumed it was intentional.

The only negatives I would say are the lack of the RR logo somewhere indicating its lineage, and the date window at 4:30. Overall I like it, though.

- TexZan -

Oh, I like it. Generally not a fan of gold, but I like the little accents and the red helps everything pop.

I'm undecided at the moment. My initial reaction was that I didn't like it but it is starting to grow on me a little. As TexZan mentioned it would have been nice to see the Rolls Royce logo somewhere.

One thing I can't fathom is the point of the project itself. An electric aircraft has already been done and this one simply goes faster which is an inevitability with battery and motor technological advances. The world does seem to be pushing the idea of electric powered everything without any consideration of where that electricity has to come from and more importantly, how the batteries can be safely disposed of/receycled. Rant over!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Hey Tex - that’s not gone unnoticed, it certainly appears there is a ‘fault’ on the watch in the video? As you can see, it’s not there in the press shot I’ve added below..
    There's still a join line above the crown, if that's what's being referred to. It's more obvious and actually slightly uneven in the video, I presume it's just a necessity for machining the case in this design?

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    There's still a join line above the crown, if that's what's being referred to. It's more obvious and actually slightly uneven in the video, I presume it's just a necessity for machining the case in this design?
    It's not the line, as you say, that's a necessity - it was there on the original Model 1, as you know. It's how the two pieces of the case appear different thickness and 'offset' from each other. Over on the Bremont Fans page, it's certainly been a talking point.

J.

I talked over on another thread about the Boeing link having finished and what happens if the relationship turns sour or the project is a failure.

It's amazing engineering but the opposite of what Bremont do - Bremont watches specifically don't do batteries; this project is all about batteries. Now if RR could make a fast long-range clockwork aircraft that would be something!

But it is great marketing and no doubt if you're close to the project you'll be very keen on the watch (which I think looks great esp. with the position of the crown).

Funny you should mention both the Boeing and the Ionbird, they are making good use of that case design now the Boeing partnership has ended.
    Without any reference to RR on the watch there isn't much of story to tell.

What are everyone's thoughts?

I like the watch, I like the position of the crown which is also very nice.