Thread: RAF Typhoon Pilot / Olympian / Bremont wearer - Roger Cruickshank interview

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RAF Typhoon Pilot / Olympian / Bremont wearer - Roger Cruickshank interview

Hey all,

Andy Green here from OT: The Podcast. I thought you might like to have a listen to the latest episode of the show, which features the remarkable story of RAF Typhoon Pilot, Roger Cruickshank.

Show description:

Today's guest has amassed quite the resume. Roger Cruickshank is an Olympian, RAF Pilot, Distinguished Flying Cross recipient and author. In our conversation with Roger, we quickly discovered that his journey wasn't an easy one. A talented skier from an early age, Roger had to make tough decisions about choosing to pursue his dream of being a professional skier, or becoming a pilot, eventually choosing the latter. Luckily the RAF supported his Olympic dream and Cruickshank was on course to do both. Until a debilitating accident in 2005 grounded him and shattered his sporting dreams.

But in a comeback story worthy of Hollywood, Cruickshank pushed through rehabilitation to qualify and compete in the Turin Winter Olympics, and have a long and distinguished RAF career, much of it in Eurofighter Typhoons. Of course, we quiz Cruickshank on the important business of pilot's watches, and if he ever checks his Breitling, Bremont or Casio in the cockpit. On a more serious note, Cruickshank is also a keen mental health advocate, a Headfit ambassador and co-author of the book Speed of Sound, Sound of Mind, in which Cruickshank explores the importance of mental resilience beyond the 'stiff upper lip' approach.

Listen here: https://otpodcast.libsyn.com/ep26-ro...ank-ot-podcast

Or, visit our website:https://www.otpodcast.com.au/find-ot and find the show on your podcatcher of choice.

Thanks!

ANDY
    @andygreenlive
    @ot.podcast

RAF Typhoon Pilot / Olympian / Bremont wearer - Roger Cruickshank interview

Thanks for sharing Andy - I’ll go and have a listen. I remember Roger talking on ‘Aircrew Interview’ - a remarkable story, which his book tells perfectly. If anyone hasn’t read it, I would 100% recommend.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Thanks for sharing Andy - I’ll go and have a listen. I remember Roger talking on ‘Aircrew Interview’ - a remarkable story, which his book tells perfectly. If anyone hasn’t read it, I would 100% recommend.

J.
    Hey J, thanks for listening! I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Do you have a link for that interview? I imagine it's going to be pretty wild, just like Roger's story!

AG

Quote Originally Posted by andygreenlive View Post
    Hey J, thanks for listening! I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Do you have a link for that interview? I imagine it's going to be pretty wild, just like Roger's story!

AG
    Sure - here's the two I could find for you. The first one is about his experiences with the Typhoon, and the second a more general Q&A surrounding flying and mental health topics.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    ... and the second a more general Q&A surrounding flying and mental health topics.

I've embedded them both here for ease in case anyone else wants to watch them. Whilst aviation-centric, they are extremely interesting insights for those who may not be aware about that goes on.

J.

Many thanks for sharing.