Thread: Bremont losing time

Question Bremont losing time

As a newbie to the forum, but an owner of an ALt1 for 3.5 years, i was interested in the comments on watches gaining and losing time. I appreciate that anything mechanical such as a Bremont watch is open the vagaries of user and local weather/atmospheric conditions. Are there specific problems that are known which might speed up or slow down a timepiece?

gbav8r, welcome to the forum - it's great to have you here, and thanks for joining us! What ALT1 model do you have?

As I'm sure you know, the 'big' issue with mechanical watches generally is magnetism - that can easily cause big variations in timekeeping, as the hairspring becomes 'stuck' to itself as it unwinds, creating a shorter spring and thus a gain in time. Aside from that, as you say, a lot of issues can cause issues - temperature, knocks or vibration to the watch, even laying the timepiece in a certain position (crown up, down etc..) is known to influence the timekeeping.

Bremont have done well to limit many of these issues using faraday cages and shock mounts in models like the MBII, but not all models in the range get the same full treatment. Obviously, with the COSC (now ISO 3159) standard to which Bremont conform, anything wildly outside of -4/+6 seconds/day is a good indication something is wrong, and it should be looked at.

Hope this helps.

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 08-24-2020 at 07:38 AM.

Slow timepiece

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    gbav8r, welcome to the forum - it's great to have you here, and thanks for joining us! What ALT1 model do you have?

As I'm sure you know, the 'big' issue with mechanical watches generally is magnetism - that can easily cause big variations in timekeeping, as the hairspring becomes 'stuck' to itself as it unwinds, creating a shorter spring and thus a gain in time. Aside from that, as you say, a lot of issues can cause issues - temperature, knocks or vibration to the watch, even laying the timepiece in a certain position (crown up, down etc..) is known to influence the timekeeping.

Bremont have done well to limit many of these issues using faraday cages and shock mounts in models like the MBII, but not all models in the range get the same full treatment. Obviously, with the COSC (now ISO 3159) standard to which Bremont conform, anything wildly outside of -4/+6 seconds/day is a good indication something is wrong, and it should be looked at.

Hope this helps.

J.
    Thank you for the information. I have a ALT1_P/BL which after exactly 3.5 years stopped working altogether. It is back at Bremont for service. I asked how many of Bremonts fail after this time-period and as expected they did not provide any insights. However, they did say "Regrettably we do not hold these type of statistics, the requirement for service greatly depends on individual usage and wear & tear." I would have thought this kind of information was key to building a better product and making sure they were not producing poor quality timepieces, which would ruin their reputation. This is not my first timepiece, I also have the other "B" which has never stopped although as expected slowed down and has been serviced.

Best, C.