Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bremont and Boeing Partnership

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    This has always been a concern for me with regards to brand ‘partnerships’ - if the partnered brand goes rogue, surely the value of the watches will drop? And will it hurt the rest of the brand?

I’m trying to think of an example where this has happened, but am struggling. Has there been one?

J.

I don't think it would be likely to happen. Brands don't go into partnerships on a whim and even if they don't have a hugely positive effect, I think they rarely have a negative effect. I think the partnership with the Isle of Man TT was a strange choice and many won't even know about the associated watch. On the other hand I think the Americas Cup partnership worked quite well and the watches were well thought of (even if there are one or two from the range which people may not know about).

I guess we need to remember that such partnerships are intended to promote the brand and expand the demographic of both. It's hard to imagine anything matching what Bremont has with Martin Baker, but I'd like to see what might come out of something with a brand like Apeks, another independent engineering company started by two friends making seriously world-class dive regulators and equipment. It may be a bit of a niche market, but a probably untapped one in terms of divers using / owning a British dive watch to go with their Apeks kit.

Quote Originally Posted by nellydog View Post
    but I'd like to see what might come out of something with a brand like Apeks, another independent engineering company started by two friends making seriously world-class dive regulators and equipment. .
    I was going to say that was a good shout but they're not independent, they've been owned by Aqua Lung since the late 1990's.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I was going to say that was a good shout but they're not independent, they've been owned by Aqua Lung since the late 1990's.
    Ah! Didn't know that. Still, same can be said of Jaguar, though (Tata Motors) and Norton, too, I believe.

I don't think it would be likely to happen. Brands don't go into partnerships on a whim and even if they don't have a hugely positive effect, I think they rarely have a negative effect. I think the partnership with the Isle of Man TT was a strange choice and many won't even know about the associated watch. On the other hand I think the Americas Cup partnership worked quite well and the watches were well thought of (even if there are one or two from the range which people may not know about).
    I suppose the most high profile failure was Swatch and Tiffany. I recall Swatch initially chased them for $4b in damages, but IIRC they only paid about $500m in the end.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by nellydog View Post
    Ah! Didn't know that. Still, same can be said of Jaguar, though (Tata Motors) and Norton, too, I believe.
    Absolutely. Though if you look at how Bremont have placed themselves with Jaguar it's all about the brand from the it was British owned (D-Type and E-Type). The Norton is a slightly different story but still based around a British brand. Up until very recently the Norton brand was British and in its original incarnation it was also British.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    I suppose the most high profile failure was Swatch and Tiffany. I recall Swatch initially chased them for $4b in damages, but IIRC they only paid about $500m in the end.
    That was quite a strange partnership and as it involved Swatch you could imagine that there was more of a power play than a partnership involved. To me, a partnership is taking a non watch brand and making it part of a watch for the benefit of both parties. I don't know enough about the Swatch/Tiffany agreement but to me it seemed more like an attempt by Swatch to own a jewellery watch brand without actually buying it. Seemed quite an oddball move.

Absolutely. Though if you look at how Bremont have placed themselves with Jaguar it's all about the brand from the it was British owned (D-Type and E-Type). The Norton is a slightly different story but still based around a British brand. Up until very recently the Norton brand was British and in its original incarnation it was also British.
    Yeah, of course, truly independent brands are becoming more rare, I guess, in all areas and across the globe. I remember when R M Williams became incorporated into LVMH I felt a little disappointed that it was losing part of it's identity. The way global economics is these days.