Thread: In house movements - does it matter?

In house movements - does it matter?

I found this article online which I thought was very interesting and it also mentions the Wright Flyer.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/magazine/...-p_33676/#gref

I know that I could be opening a can of worms here but I'll carry on regardless. Bremont for some time have been aiming to manufacture their own movement in the UK and came in for some criticism years ago with the Wright Flyer by stating that it had an in house movement. What I find interesting about the above article is that it could indeed be argued that the BWC/01 movement does meet much of the criteria for being called 'in house'. What I find more intriguing is the prestige surrounding the idea of an in-house movement. My question is, why does it matter? Surely an out sourced movement with a quality standard to match the watch that houses it should be just as well thought of as a watch with an in-house movement? After all, the outsourced movement is almost certainly manufactured to the same or better standard than an in-house movement. I would also ask why an enthusiast should be expected to pay more for an in-house movement than for an outsourced one? An in-house movement will be cheaper to manufacture in the long term. For a relatively new company such as Bremont there are expenditures to consider such as new machinery but for watch companies that have manufactured their own movements for years, there are savings to be made by manufacturing in-house. Yet those same companies charge more for watches with their own movements, possibly due to the prestige attached. I can see the reasons why a company owner might want to make an in-house movement, it's an achievement but for the customers, is it so important? As 'bounce' commented in the 'accuracy' thread, his Bremont with an outsourced movement has been keeping better time than his Rolex with a (presumably) in-house movement. So there are possibly no technical gains. Thoughts?

Consumers purchase expensive goods and immediately pay additional money to customise or improve them - what’s the difference then in in-house modifications to a standard watch movement? Of course it would be “nice” to have a BREMONT home grown movement, but considering current prices for BREMONT “special/LTD” models I for one would not consider paying the considerable premium an in-house movement would carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bremont U2/51
    Bremont Alt-Z1

In-house isn't something that bothers me either way. I want a reliable movement with decent accuracy and I think Bremont achieves that with what it does. I have two Rolexes (though now gifted one each to my kids who don't wear them!) and whilst they have a renowned and deserved reputation, I can't say I've noticed any real-world difference between the other brands I have (Bremont, Omega and Breitling).

I am also not bothered either way who makes the movement as long as the watch is reliable & accurate.
    A number of years ago I had an Exp II (in house) that went back 3 times for regulation & was still out of spec on the last attempt.
    I also had a Seamaster Bond that had I believe a modified ETA movement (Omega 1120) & that was perfect for all the years I owned it.
    So as far as I am concerned if I like the watch & the price is right I will buy it.

An in house movement is unlikely to be more accurate or reliable than an out sourced movement so for those considering just the reliability, an in house movement shouldn't matter. It's interesting that those who have answered so far aren't bothered either way. Yet, it seems to be somewhat of a big deal in the watch world as a whole. I often see comments along the line of a certain brand being better because they use their own movement.