Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazing accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Which brings me to a question which I think I'll start a new thread for....why does that matter? (definite can of worms opener!)
    Careful - you’ll wake up the trolls...!

FWIW, I don’t think it matters at all.

From a practical point of view, things may get interesting if/when ETA finally stop the supply of movements and parts to ‘third party’ brands - THEN it may matter that Bremont are still reliant on them. Then again, so are hundreds of other people, so it’s not exactly a unique issue.

Until then? It’s a ‘nice to have’ but not a dealbreaker in any way, for me.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    From a practical point of view, things may get interesting if/when ETA finally stop the supply of movements and parts to ‘third party’ brands - THEN it may matter that Bremont are still reliant on them.
    I'm curious as to whether the competition authorities will get involved with this one. If they do stop the supply of ETA movements to third party brands it must breach fair competition laws. It's different if they'd never supplied them in the first place but as they have, it's a blatant attempt to manipulate the market, surely?

I thought a lot of watch companies have turned to Sellita now to supply clones of ETA movements, I know C Ward use them now & I am pretty sure Tag have started using them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    I thought a lot of watch companies have turned to Sellita now to supply clones of ETA movements, I know C Ward use them now & I am pretty sure Tag have started using them as well.
    Correct - a quick Google tells me that IWC, Breitling, Hublot etc have all made the switch so far. The ETA/Sellita 'thing' is very interesting really, when you consider ETA sent their movements to Selitta for finishing (and indeed they used to manufacture parts & assemble ETA movements too!)

I'm curious as to whether the competition authorities will get involved with this one. If they do stop the supply of ETA movements to third party brands it must breach fair competition laws. It's different if they'd never supplied them in the first place but as they have, it's a blatant attempt to manipulate the market, surely?
    Agree - and indeed Switzerland's Competition Commission, Comco, thought so. In response, Nicolas Hayek said this:

"We are in a ridiculous situation that would be like having BMW supply all the engines for Audi and Mercedes. In no other industry do you have one company supply all the critical parts to the people who then compete directly with it."

J.

Nicolas Hayeks comment was odd but there again the whole watch making hierarchy in Switzerland seems odd. I don't know of any other industry where a company would supply so many other companies with a critical component and then suddenly decide not to. It seems like nothing more than an attempt to create a huge monopoly by destabilising competitors.

This is also down to the Swiss themselves, the Swiss Anti-Trust regulators (COMCO) worked with the Swatch Group in 2013, to bring in a Swiss law regarding the supply of 3rd party parts and movements also the supply chain of watch movements. This law should of came into effect in 2020 but has been delayed for the moment.

I had a brief read about the history of the Swatch Group and also ETA. It seems quite difficult to find a distinct line between the commercial private enterprise and the Swiss government. It did make for an interesting read though, especially as I dare say that most non watch enthusiasts will think of Swatch as simply the relatively cheap fashion items and not a hugely powerful company in the world of watch making.

It did make for an interesting read though, especially as I dare say that most non watch enthusiasts will think of Swatch as simply the relatively cheap fashion items and not a hugely powerful company in the world of watch making.
    100% agreed.

My first Baselworld was the eye opener for me with regards to the power of Swatch: 18 or so brands, who invested $50m+ in to the show annually. As you know, they've now pulled out of Basel and the show has all but collapsed in it's current form. As a result of the turmoil the fair is in, I see just a few days ago that they've now rebranded Baselworld as HourUniverse.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    I see just a few days ago that they've now rebranded Baselworld as HourUniverse
    Thanks for that link, the web page has an interesting quote:- "In April 2021, the community will meet in Basel, Switzerland. The exact date of the show will be aligned with Watches & Wonders in Geneva"

Given that the major players who left Baselworld, aligned themselves with Watches and Wonders, I can't decide whether the new HourUniverse 'meet' will be in collaboration with Watches and Wonders or a direct competitor? Being held at the same time one would hope it's a collaboration but given that Basel and Geneva are some distance from each other, it's hardly an easy trip for anyone wanting to attend both so it sounds more competitive?

Thanks for that link, the web page has an interesting quote:- "In April 2021, the community will meet in Basel, Switzerland. The exact date of the show will be aligned with Watches & Wonders in Geneva"

Given that the major players who left Baselworld, aligned themselves with Watches and Wonders, I can't decide whether the new HourUniverse 'meet' will be in collaboration with Watches and Wonders or a direct competitor? Being held at the same time one would hope it's a collaboration but given that Basel and Geneva are some distance from each other, it's hardly an easy trip for anyone wanting to attend both so it sounds more competitive?
    I can't speak for the 'new' Baselworld, but lets not forget the 'new' Salon at the Palexpo in Geneva (with Rolex, Tudor, Patek, Chanel & Chopard), organised in conjunction with the FHH/W&W and being held at the same time.

As you say, this leads to an interesting split of brands and locations - so I can only imagine the HourUniverse show to be a competitor? Which, in these strange times, seems like an odd move for the Swiss watch industry as a whole?

J.