Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Britain Collection

Battle of Britain Collection

Specials arenít my kind of thing (I am a one watch guy, so collecting isnít an interest). The spitfire is nice, but I donít know anything about the robustness of the pvd coating. The dial is easy to read and tastefully done, though. I like the Ďtime of tripí on the 12 oíclock dial.

Iíve no idea what the lume is like ó I hope they lumed the 2-24 on the chapter ring too. The gmt hand is a lovely shape, but the arrow is too small to be useable at night. Lume is one of the most important aspects of a watch to me. The more the better.

The closed casebacks are outstanding. Theyíd be outstanding even if they werenít engraved or decorated (in fact, theyíd be better plain imho ó but I get that these are collectors pieces and are duly decorated). Solid casebacks are always the way forwards: I donít have sapphire crystal windows in my Rover V8 block or heads ó so why would I want them on a watch?

I canít comment on the Hurricane piece, as itís not a gmt and thus of no interest to me. It looks like a fine three hander if youíre into that sort of thing. As always, the solid caseback is a massive improvement on a display back.

The box is a nice affair, I suppose, given itís collectors focus; but not really any use to me as a watch wearer. I havenít opened my Bremont leather pouch in the 4 years Iíve owned it!

Overall, Iím sure this is a nice set if you are in to collecting things ó but only the Spitfire is of interest to me (due to its gmt complication). Itís a handsome enough watch and hopefully thinner in case due to the solid caseback (and, consequently, a massive improvement on the standard Alt1 case). I also tend to be against a focus on dial variations (which I find banal) and would have preferred a new case or complication instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shedlock2000; 06-18-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. :smokin::twit::smokin:

SS Submariner no date 1992 (flipped); SS GMT II 2007 (flipped); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (flipped); SS Sub C 2011 (flipped); 16753, '81 TT GMT 'Root Beer'

Love the spitfire watch. Wish I could grab a set but a bit out of my price range at the moment. Well done regardless!

-----------------------------------------------
    Current Bremont Watch List:
    Bremont P-51, ALT1-C, ALT1-B, AC1, Alt1tude SE

The Other Stuff:
    Rolex, Oak & Oscar, ML Ponto S Diver, Longines, Seiko, G-Shock, Tag Heuer

These are really nice watches! I would love to add them to my collection, but may be a bit out of my price range. Donít know that Iíd be able to make it to the UK any time soon for the Spitfire ride - think theyíd deduct the value of that from the price?

No doubt it would be a great experience to take to the skies in a spitfire for 2.5k and something to be remembered. An Airco and an Alt1B 7.5k. Have a couple more flights and pocket the change

Web site lists the set as ďSold OutĒ already!

Retailers will have taken the vast majority of them if not all,wouldn't take much at only eighty.

Are two of the standard line watches dressed up and displayed in a wooden box worth double the price?
    Last edited by Ticktoc; 06-21-2020 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticktoc View Post
    Retailers will have taken the vast majority of them if not all,wouldn't take much at only eighty.
    I disagree. With such a limited edition run and with a lot of Bremont/Spitfire fans around I think the vast majority will already have been pre-ordered by collectors.

It's an interesting release in my opinion and I'm actually quite conflicted about it. On the one hand I think they are two beautiful watches, very much compliment the complete package and are certainly a collectable release. On the other hand there are a number of 'negatives'. The solid case back I like but on the Spitfire watch I would have preferred a display back. After all these are more likely to be collectors watches rather than 'tool' watches. I also think that the £15k asking price is a bit steep (bear in mind that's not too far behind a SS Wright Flyer). They are a very limited and appealing run so the price may be justified that way but they're also very closely based on standard release watches which has already been commented on. I'm afraid that the biggest negative for me is the flight in the Spitfire. That may sound odd as it's an excellent opportunity but it also introduces some problems. Firstly, the flights are not an exclusive but are readily available to those who wish to pay for them (a substantial sum of course). So you don't have to buy this collection to be able to fly. Secondly, as it's a collectors edition, potential buyers may be concerned about residual values. Given the regular cost of the flight and that being something the original buyer gets, any residual value will automatically lose that sum on the pre-owned market. Of course, some may not even like flying. You can like aeroplanes without actually wanting to be in one.

That said, they are two very nice watches. I'm not a fan of DLC as it inevitably wears off over time (that won't matter on a collectors watch) but the Spitfire watch really suits it, in the same way as it suits the EP120 I guess. I actually really like the Hurricane watch as well but that's probably because I like the Airco which it seems to be based on but with a more vintage 'feel'.

Would I buy a set (if I could afford one)? Most likely yes. The set taken on its own I can't really find fault with. It's the price and flight that create uncertainty for me. If the flight was taken out of the equation and the price for the collection was £10k-£12k it would be far more appealing. As it stands, I would feel as if I'm paying an extra £3k for something that I may not want.

Mariner I tend to think the very limited run has been done to deflect from the standard watches that they are. I agree with a circa £11k price tag for the package and no doubt there will be a market for them at full asking price.
    The Airco's are very nice watches especially for the smaller wrist or someone who prefers a smaller dial size as for the DLC they are not for me either.

I love the EP-120 and was hoping that the next limited edition would be more like that or the P-51 as we have had a lot of dress watches recently.

That said, Iím more inclined to purchase the Alt1-P2 Jet, I think thatís a spectacular looking watch, which has got me thinking as I had a deposit on the U2-51 Jet but didnít complete.

£15k for this problematic as it starts to compete with other watches I am contemplating including the new JLC Master Control which are outstanding watches also.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo81 View Post
    I love the EP-120 and was hoping that the next limited edition would be more like that or the P-51 as we have had a lot of dress watches recently.

That said, Iím more inclined to purchase the Alt1-P2 Jet, I think thatís a spectacular looking watch, which has got me thinking as I had a deposit on the U2-51 Jet but didnít complete.

£15k for this problematic as it starts to compete with other watches I am contemplating including the new JLC Master Control which are outstanding watches also.

Agree with you in the new alt1 p2 jet - I prefer it to my U2/51 jet - hmmmm

Bremont U2/51
    Bremont Alt-Z1