Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion

Opinion

Gents what’s the general opinion on this one? I’ve rather fancied it as a BREMONT dress watch - interested you hear what you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 06-06-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Edited the format - picture was splitting the text up.
    Bremont U2/51
    Bremont Alt-Z1

General opinion on the DH88? Absolutely gorgeous watch. As a dress watch though, my reservation would be the thickness - 16.2mm makes it a hefty chunk on the wrist. Maybe too much so to kit comfortably under the cuff?

Where is this one for sale? I take it that it’s a good price?

J.

PS: as per my note, I edited your post to rearrange the picture and text, as the picture was splitting the text up when viewed on a web browser. I hope you don't mind.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 06-06-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Itís a possible deal
    I think the back is one of the best Iíve ever seen
    Iím not into thin watches so chunk doesnít worry me

Bremont U2/51
    Bremont Alt-Z1

As has been mentioned, it's quite a thick watch and will struggle to go under a shirt cuff but if that's not a problem** then it's one of the best looking dress watches I've seen from any brand, especially for black tie. Both the front and back are stunning to look at, in fact, the only thing about the DH-88 that I've never understood is why it doesn't hold its value. I have a preference for the stainless steel version over the rose gold version but both are very nice watches.

** someone did once say to me that if you have a watch that looks this good, why would you want to hide it under a shirt cuff anyway. Just pull the cuff slightly back!

There's an interesting post on Bremonts Instagram today asking people which they would choose, a DH-88 or an EP120. There are fans of both watches, myself included but interestingly the DH-88 seems to have more fans.

A touch on the large side for me; Iíd prefer a solo or something similar. But Iím also not into dress watches (my perfect dress watch is the 1675 or 1680).

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. :smokin::twit::smokin:

SS Submariner no date 1992 (flipped); SS GMT II 2007 (flipped); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (flipped); SS Sub C 2011 (flipped); 16753, '81 TT GMT 'Root Beer'

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    There's an interesting post on Bremonts Instagram today asking people which they would choose, a DH-88 or an EP120. There are fans of both watches, myself included but interestingly the DH-88 seems to have more fans.
    If I'm allowed to hypothesise for a second, I suspect this could be for two reasons.

1. As we all know, the EP120 was released in 2008 - right in the infancy on Bremont. I suspect this is reflected in the popularity - many not knowing about the watches existence or the story behind it, compared to the LE's launched more recently as the brand has gained popularity.

2. The DH88 remains more accessible now, 4 years after it was launched, than the EP120 ever was for the majority, with the watch even appearing on well known auction and sales sites for under list. I suspect this could also be a reason why it is more popular in a poll like this, as people can see themselves actually being able to own such a watch.

I could be far of the mark here, but it's all done to provide something to debate during lockdown - so debate away!

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    but it's all done to provide something to debate during lockdown - so debate away!
    as you asked

I think that's it's something more simple than what you suggest. Bearing in mind that we live in a very superficial world now. The DH-88 is simply the better looking watch. It has a more vintage and classy look to it than the EP120. I like the EP120 but for me that watch is more about it's historical significance than with the DH-88. I suspect that those on Instagram who prefer the EP120 in the main knew about its historical significance. Those who preferred the DH-88 probably didn't know or care too much about its historical significance. For me, if the photos showed both the back and front of each watch then the DH-88 would be the most preferred option by a margin.

one thing I do agree with you about is the DH-88's accessibility. I have a feeling that those who bought the EP120 are unlikely to sell it. I can't actually recall seeing a pre-owned one for sale. The DH-88 on the other hand is still available in rose gold brand new from a certain retailer. I think the stainless steel ones all sold but the pre-owned value is surprisingly low. That is one thing I can't figure, a reason might be that those who bought it stretched their budgets a little and now need the cash back in their hand which has ended up with quite a few being available pre-owned and hence the price drops. That's the ONLY reason I can think of as it's a stunning watch that doesn't deserve the low pre-owned prices it's currently offered at.

Opinion

I can see why the DH-88 would be more appealing to the general consumer - especially as a dress watch. As youíve mentioned itís more accessible than the EP120 and itís stunning. However I think the background to a watch in many cases can outweigh aesthetics. The EP120ís historical significance personally makes the watch more desirable for me. And I think the rarity can make the watch even more enticing.

Also I think the thickness of the DH88 is something I wouldnít be comfortable with. So Iím on team EP120 (if there are sides) ;-)

Though I canít wait to see what they bring out in the next week, if itís anything like either watch Iíd be pleased.

Last edited by blazingiron12; 06-13-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blazingiron12 View Post
    Also I think the thickness of the DH88 is something I wouldnít be comfortable with. So Iím on team EP120 (if there are sides) ;-)
    Fyi, I believe that the DH-88 and EP120 are the same thickness, 16mm.