Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Top 5 Watches you always dream of buying.

  1. #11
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,422

    Top 5 Watches you always dream of buying.

    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    so what are they and why are they your dream watches? There's a lot of watches I like a lot that I could theoretically afford but I can't really call them dream watches as I could quite happily buy them. Dream watches are effectively unattainable. For someone who likes cars, their dream car wouldn't be a family hatchback, it would be a six or seven figure sports or luxury vehicle.
    Agree.

    Using the same analogy, as an aircraft geek, my ‘dream’ aircraft isn’t an ‘attainable’ PA28 - it’s an original Spitfire - something worth many many millions and few get to even fly, let alone own.

    I view my above list of watches (aside from the AP) in the same way. I will never be able to spend £500k+ on a watch, so that’s why it is a ‘dream.’

    J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 05-27-2020 at 09:53 AM.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    so what are they and why are they your dream watches? There's a lot of watches I like a lot that I could theoretically afford but I can't really call them dream watches as I could quite happily buy them. Dream watches are effectively unattainable. For someone who likes cars, their dream car wouldn't be a family hatchback, it would be a six or seven figure sports or luxury vehicle.
    Yea, I also don’t think my dream watches are necessarily my favourite watches. They are just the watches that are vastly elusive to me. If price wasn’t an issue I would of course go for the most expensive pieces I could find!

  3. #13
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,422
    Quote Originally Posted by blazingiron12 View Post
    Yea, I also don’t think my dream watches are necessarily my favourite watches. They are just the watches that are vastly elusive to me. If price wasn’t an issue I would of course go for the most expensive pieces I could find!
    I agree.

    That said, one of my dream pieces is a new 116610. It's not even financially unobtainable, but it is literally unobtainable (aside from the grey market or WELL above list!)

    I've been offered them £1-2K above list, but let's not start that conversation..!

    J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 05-28-2020 at 08:36 PM.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    AP Royal Oak Offshore Diver (the only one of this list that I MAY be able to get one day - maybe when I retire!)
    I'm curious, what is it about the AP that appeals as a 'dream' watch. I like them but still see them as fairly ordinary from a design perspective which is not something I would want in an expensive watch.

    I'll try and avoid getting drawn into the Rolex conversation as that is one watch brand that I have just never seen the appeal in. I can't knock their marketing as they've created an incredible demand for something that in my view is nothing particularly special when compared to other watches at the same price point.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by blazingiron12 View Post
    Yea, I also don’t think my dream watches are necessarily my favourite watches. They are just the watches that are vastly elusive to me. If price wasn’t an issue I would of course go for the most expensive pieces I could find!
    Sounds good to me. I think that favourite watches would be ones that you would consider wearing if you could afford them. Dream watches on the other hand you may never see yourself wearing even if you could afford them, there's just something about them that catches your eye and that's not just the price tag.

  6. #16
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,422
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I'm curious, what is it about the AP that appeals as a 'dream' watch. I like them but still see them as fairly ordinary from a design perspective which is not something I would want in an expensive watch.

    I don't deny it being a fairly ordinary looking watch, but the finish and quality is exemplary - from the dial, to the case design and shape, to the movement (with engraved bridges and finished with a 22-carat gold rotor.)

    On the subject of the design though, in my opinion the AP design is somewhat iconic. It's a small slice of Gérald Genta magic and my inner watchnerd loves that - hence it making the list.

    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I'll try and avoid getting drawn into the Rolex conversation as that is one watch brand that I have just never seen the appeal in. I can't knock their marketing as they've created an incredible demand for something that in my view is nothing particularly special when compared to other watches at the same price point.
    I agree - their marketing machine is a thing of immense power, and their market tactics somewhat intriguing. Just look up the recently exposed dealings with AD's and the grey market in (if I recall) Hong-Kong. Staggering!

    J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 05-29-2020 at 07:45 AM.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    I don't deny it being a fairly ordinary looking watch, but the finish and quality is exemplary - from the dial, to the case design and shape, to the movement (with engraved bridges and finished with a 22-carat gold rotor.)

    On the subject of the design though, in my opinion the AP design is somewhat iconic. It's a small slice of Gérald Genta magic and my inner watchnerd loves that - hence it making the list.
    Just to be clear, I do like AP watches. However, none has really stood out to me, in fact when I first started taking notice of five figure watches, what was immediately obvious was how similar AP and Hublot watches looked. I like both brands but it's more 'like' than 'love'. Of course, it's just a personal observation and both brands, in my opinion, make very high quality watches. To be perfectly honest, I'd struggle to choose a watch from either brand over a Bremont at half (or less) of the price.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    I agree - their marketing machine is a thing of immense power, and their market tactics somewhat intriguing.
    I think what Rolex done - and exceptionally well at that - is to convince the market that you must have one of their watches. I still think of them on the wrist of a 70's footballer (and hence they hold little appeal) but they created a demand, created a belief that they were the watch to have to show you had wealth and then constantly affect the supply so that the demand is always higher than the supply. Then it becomes self perpetuating. If the demand is higher than the supply, the cost of pre-owned goes up as wealthy customers fight over them and while that happens Rolex stifle the supply. The demand keeps going up as do the prices and then 'power' comes in to play. If it were being discussed by the police you could almost be describing the supply of illegal narcotics. What I don't quite understand is that despite Rolex often being negatively commented on in regard to their sales tactics, the same customers who complain about them stay on waiting lists and inevitably buy into the brand.

  9. #19
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,422
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I'd struggle to choose a watch from either brand over a Bremont at half (or less) of the price.
    Indeed. Given the choice, I'd take an EP120 or P-51 over almost any equivalently-priced watch. But I know a LOT outside of these very small collectors circles would vehemently disagree!

    J.

  10. #20
    I agree and I think it's an interesting discussion point. In many cases it's simply a personal choice and that's fine, we all have different tastes. What I'm interested in are those who would choose a different watch brand for either technical reasons or perceived brand value. That interlinks with my Rolex comments. An example of this is perceived pre-owned values. I know someone (and see comments from many) who owns a few Rolex simply because he believes that over time the value will rise. He likes the watches but isn't a watch fan and doesn't really have any knowledge of other brands, he just decided he wanted a Rolex. On the other hand, there are lots of comments online of how low the pre-owned value of a Bremont can be. I've recently seen someone selling a DH-88 SS for around £5k which is quite a reduction from the RRP and in my view, surprising, as the DH-88 in my opinion is the best looking watch that Bremont have produced, both front and back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Top Watch Sites