Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is there no news out there since so long?

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    That's the main thing that I like about the Bremont brand, it's so friendly and being at a Townhouse event where an owner of the company quite casually walks up to you and has a chat is something that I would never expect from another international watch brand. Even just walking into a boutique is relaxing. You get the feeling that everyone who works for the brand likes the brand which is a selling point in itself.
    I think you’re right — it’s certainly different than for the other brands, for sure!

I actually like that Steinhart.
    It’s proportions aren’t too bad, but it’s a bit uninspired on the dial and handsets. It’d be nice to see a bit of stainless or something. The titanium is a touch to dark for me too. I saw one being reviewed, and the bracelet marked very easily and very badly. The lugs are a bit off — too pointy, maybe? I may very well have picked one up if it was available in stainless, though. It’s not terrible. It’s got the same movement in as the Bremont gmts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. :smokin::twit::smokin:

SS Submariner no date 1992 (flipped); SS GMT II 2007 (flipped); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (flipped); SS Sub C 2011 (flipped); 16753, '81 TT GMT 'Root Beer'

Why is there no news out there since so long?

Is that comment not stretching the truth a little bit? Didn't Bremont become main sponsors for Nims Project Possible?

Peter Hickman becoming an ambassador also coincided with Bremont becoming official timing partner for the IOM TT.

I'm not suggesting that there's anything wrong with it but I don't think all the ambassadors are wearing the Bremont watches because they are fans of the brand and paid for the watches. Some for sure but not all.
    Yeah, OK, maybe it is - and I've blurred the line a bit (I got confused!) between the Military side of the business and the Ambassadors. My apologies.

Ben Shepherd is famously on record as buying all his Bremont himself, though, that much is true.

As for Nims, he was already wearing their watches before the Project Possible endeavour - he was famous for wearing the S300 on his climbs. Further than that, I can't comment.

Quote Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
    That is interesting! Those SS watches are really hard to find!

Absolutely - I've been on waiting lists for mens SS Sports Rolex since the beginning of time - or so it feels! Their artificial restriction of the product is annoying, but works for them. I'd love to know what the breakdown is in terms of amount of each model made. It's well known they make c. 1 million watches a year...

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 06-14-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
    That’s quite fair, really. I hadn’t thought about it, but it’s a reasonable position to take. Curiously, even though I don’t follow the brand ambassador thing, I know more people (ambassadors) that wear Bremont than for other watch producers. I can’t think of one for Rolex (only the usual vintage names form the 60/70s). I don’t think they were ambassadors either — they just happened to wear them, perhaps? I don’t know — perhaps Eastwood was given one for his movies.

I think it’s fair to say that Bremont have a different type of ambassador — usually focussed on their target of endurance rather than on the fact that a person is famous. That helps me somewhat because it’s the endurance aspect about which I care. While I’ve no connection to being ejected, I kinda care that the shock protection developed for it might protect the watch from other shocks.

The Rolex point is pretty interesting.

Paul Newman, Eric Clapton, James Cameron (and Steve McQueen, but that’s a contested point!) have all become associated with famous, and now very desirable, Rolex models, but I don’t know if they were ever officially ambassadors?

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Yeah, OK, maybe it is - and I've blurred the line a bit (I got confused!) between the Military side of the business and the Ambassadors. My apologies.

Ben Shepherd is famously on record as buying all his Bremont himself, though, that much is true.

As for Nims, he was already wearing their watches before the Project Possible endeavour - he was famous for wearing the S300 on his climbs. Further than that, I can't comment.
    No apologies necessary.

I think what you said was true once upon a time but to me it seems that times have changed. Possibly the original era of Orlando Bloom, Charlie Boorman, Tom Hardy and Ben Shepherd (possibly) buying their own watches has changed somewhat. The association with the Venom film via Tom Hardy was what first made me question the 'ambassador' associations. I couldn't for one second imagine any film production allowing product placement or direct advertising without some sort of contract being signed. Then Bremont becoming official timing partner for the IOM TT and also for England Rugby with their associated ambassadors. Somewhere in the middle we also have Project Possible. The 1947 collection was also an interesting one. Although Ronnie Wood is not officially an ambassador, his collaboration took a £17k (estimate on my part) watch and turned it into a £39k watch by adding a hand painted dial. I don't know where that extra £20k went but there was no mention of charitable donations.

I'm not mentioning these associations as a negative for the brand, its simply marketing that every brand does. However, on a personal level, it's not something I approve of as in the end, it's the customers of Bremont that are paying for all the contracts associated with these 'ambassadors'.

The 1947 collection was also an interesting one. Although Ronnie Wood is not officially an ambassador, his collaboration took a £17k (estimate on my part) watch and turned it into a £39k watch by adding a hand painted dial. I don't know where that extra £20k went but there was no mention of charitable donations.
    Did anyone here end up buying one? I don’t think I’ve seen a photo of one out in the wild yet.

J.

I'm not sure who's on this forum so I couldn't say who might have one. I might be wrong but I think there were two main types of buyer for those watches. There were the die hard Ronnie Wood/Rolling Stones fans and the investors who might believe that as RW's artwork commands high prices, that a watch showing his artwork might as well. The latter will most likely never wear the watch. The former have spent £39k on a one-off watch so I suspect that you'll be lucky to see one in an everyday photo.

To be fair, there were half a dozen that looked really good, may be not £39k really good but still very good. However, the remainder were very average. My favourite quote came from two gentleman having a conversation about who Ronnie Wood was and it went something along the lines of "oh, he played in that band with that famous singer, what was his name again?"

My favourite quote came from two gentleman having a conversation about who Ronnie Wood was and it went something along the lines of "oh, he played in that band with that famous singer, what was his name again?"
    Ouch!

The 1947 designs are not my kind of thing at all. I like a watch to have a plain dial and be quite restrained. Bremont’s can be a little busy for me in some cases; I think this is sometimes tricky with chronos, though, due to the sub dial markers.

I guess I just like watches to tell the time and have some restrained pretty quality. What puts me off the Steinhart Ocean One is the plain plots and basic handset — that’s too austere, the Alt1 is a bit too busy; the broadsword is better; the Rolex Explorer II is better still.

Last edited by shedlock2000; 06-15-2020 at 03:45 AM.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. :smokin::twit::smokin:

SS Submariner no date 1992 (flipped); SS GMT II 2007 (flipped); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (flipped); SS Sub C 2011 (flipped); 16753, '81 TT GMT 'Root Beer'