Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wright Flyer or Victory most iconic

Wright Flyer or Victory most iconic

As the title suggests, I've been wondering which is the most iconic Bremont between the Wright Flyer and the Victory. The Victory is completely sold out and pre-owned watches are commanding higher than retail prices (although that said, there was one on this forum for sale for quite some time and possibly still is?) where as the Wright Flyer is still available as a new watch and pre-owned watches have a relatively low resale value compared to their rrp.

The most talked about watch seems to be the Wright Flyer. Ask a Bremont fan which they would like to own and the Wright Flyer always seems to come up.

From my own point of view the Victory seems to be the more collectable watch but there's definitely something appealing about the Wright Flyer, especially the rose gold version. There again the rose gold Victory is a nice watch as well, just shame about the £30k+ pre-owned price tag.

An interesting question and this is my Two Pennyworth on the subject.
    The Victory watch is one of the best Limited Editions that Bremont have done in my opinion. The case restyling was great and the retrograde seconds hand was quite captivating to watch if you're lucky enough to have handled one. I have always been interested in the history of the Napoleonic Wars and Nelson's victory at Trafalgar secured our island and the reputation of the British Navy up until recent years. I was lucky enough to be on board HMS Victory for the launch of the watch and could only marvel at the conditions the sailors and Marines had to live in given that mostly they were conscripts.
    My only reservation about the watch was that the case wasn't hardened.
    BUT in global historical terms the Wright Flyer has greater context. I bet everyone who has ever posted on this great Forum has flown or been a passenger in an aeroplane. That is the legacy of Orville and Wilbur Wright. I have.
    However I've never knowingly sunk a French or Spanish Battleship!! The Victory has limited Global appeal (particularly in France & Spain!) Nelson (and Wellington) had a better approach to Brexit than any of the bunch running these countries today.
    Having said that The Wright Flyer was of no historical interest to me. Also it's announcement, sadly, was a nadir in the Bremont story that turned away a lot of watch collectors and those people are like elephants - they never forget.
    Doubtless there will be others for whom the Wright Flyer is "THE" watch, but not me.
    And surely, for the brand, it's a good thing if prices are high on the secondary market.

Great reply and an interesting perspective which I agree with in many respects. The announcement at the release of the Wright Flyer never bothered me. It seems that the people who would turn away from the watch for that reason were simply looking for a reason to turn away from the watch. In reality it's a fantastic watch although most likely overpriced to those who don't have an interest in the piece of cloth suspended in the rotor.

As you've seen the Victory up close, if you don't mind me asking, how does it 'wear' as a watch. I've never seen one in person and the impression I get is that it is quite a deep watch? Did the watch that you were offering for sale on the forum on behalf of a customer ever sell?

Your last point I agree with but it's also one of the reservations I mentioned about the Wright Flyer in my original post. The Victory is holding it's value well on the preowned market. The Wright Flyer on the other hand is barely selling at 2/3 of its rrp. So one is good for the brand but it could be argued that the other may not be?

The Victory is undeniably a "big" watch on the wrist but is only 1mm deeper than, say, my ALT1-C (18mm & 17mm approx. respectively)
    That compares to my Rolex Datejust 41 which is just 11mm deep.
    The Victory watch that you were referring to is not sold and currently is with me at the shop in Nantwich if you fancied seeing it.
    As I say it is a truly stunning watch in my view.

The most talked about watch seems to be the Wright Flyer. Ask a Bremont fan which they would like to own and the Wright Flyer always seems to come up.

From my own point of view the Victory seems to be the more collectable watch but there's definitely something appealing about the Wright Flyer, especially the rose gold version. There again the rose gold Victory is a nice watch as well, just shame about the £30k+ pre-owned price tag.[/QUOTE]

I owned a Victory but sold it last year, it’s a superb watch and I love the retrograde seconds hand however I struggled to see the date and didn’t realise it doesn’t have any lume on the face.
    That said it’s a beautiful well designed watch, it just didn’t get the wrist time my P51 does.
    On your point of commanding higher than retail, I purchased my Victory from the original owner under RRP.
    I’ve not owned a Wright Flyer but would definitely consider one especially the rose gold version. Not sure I’d throw that much money at one though, lots of choices at that money.
    Last edited by Prestjoh; 08-21-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    The Victory is undeniably a "big" watch on the wrist but is only 1mm deeper than, say, my ALT1-C (18mm & 17mm approx. respectively)
    The Victory watch that you were referring to is not sold and currently is with me at the shop in Nantwich if you fancied seeing it.
    Nantwich is a bit out of my way unfortunately but if I end up passing at some point I will call in.

Thanks for the info regarding wearing the watch. I don't find the Alt1-C too deep and I was surprised when I read that the difference between the Victory and the Alt1-C is only 1mm as reviews online suggest that it's a deep watch but there again, as you say, when a Rolex Datejust is only 11mm, suddenly 18mm seems very deep. The Wright Flyer is apparently only 14mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Prestjoh View Post
    On your point of commanding higher than retail, I purchased my Victory from the original owner under RRP.
    I’ve not owned a Wright Flyer but would definitely consider one especially the rose gold version. Not sure I’d throw that much money at one though, lots of choices at that money.
    That may be the case with your Victory but of the ones I've seen for sale, they're all above rrp. The steel Wright Flyer on the other hand is selling at 2/3 or less of rrp.

I agree with your sentiment about the rose gold Wright Flyer. There are a lot of watches for that kind of money and what a buyer would also have to consider is that the AC35 which uses the same movement and is also rose gold, sold for about £10k less so effectively a purchaser would be paying £10k for the wing material in the Wright Flyer rotor.

Love both of those. Enjoying the 1918 today - one of my personal favourites. So much aviation history in one watch Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4255.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	4463

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Supersonic LE (no.76]
    1918 LE (no.18)
    MBii Orange
    Alt1-C / CR (sold)
    Alt1- C / PW
    Supermarine S500 BK
    Omega Constellation
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega de ville co-axel chronometer

Totally agree, the 1918 is a truly stunning watch, both from the front and the back!

Oddly though, it's not one that is talked about aa much as I feel it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    I agree with you, I also remember Victory watches and I think they are amazing.