Thread: COSC vs ISO 3159?

COSC vs ISO 3159?

Gents,

Just realized on Bremont's site all core watches are now tested to ISO 3159 standard. I know COSC certification also follow the ISO 3159 standard so I am wondering if there is any differences.

Does it mean starting from 2019 any new timepieces will not have a COSC certificate but will come with ISO 3159 certificate instead? If so who is doing the testing or issuing this new certificate?

Just wondering...

Thanks guys!

/H

ISO 3159 and COSC both allow variance of -4/+6 per day so no difference there it would seem.

There's something reassuring about COSC somehow though, even for no particular reason.

I was told at the townhouse event that it is down to the Swiss tightening up on the industry as a whole.
    Hence the ISO certificate.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Suppose the tightening is due to less and less Swiss parts in our watches (which is a good thing as it means Bremont is one stepper closer to manufacture more movement parts in the UK). As long as the test condition is the same then it shouldn't make any difference. Thanks guys...

Quote Originally Posted by mapledraco View Post
    Suppose the tightening is due to less and less Swiss parts in our watches (which is a good thing as it means Bremont is one stepper closer to manufacture more movement parts in the UK). As long as the test condition is the same then it shouldn't make any difference. Thanks guys...
    I think you’ve summed it up pretty well here. It should be seen as a good sign, although to the uninitiated it could seem like a backwards step, as COSC is very much the ‘industry standard’ for high end wristwatches.

J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer that the testing is labelled as the ISO standard rather than COSC. Given that COSC simply follows the ISO standard and is purely the Swiss testing labs, there's no reason to think that the testing wouldn't be done as well elsewhere. I might be wrong but I don't think the German watch manufacturers use COSC either. I suppose there could be a certain 'value' attached to having movements tested at the same labs as Rolex etc. but in terms of engineering, Bremont are on an international stage now and the ISO standard is quite fitting.

Just received my SE301 and it comes with the ISO 3159 certificate. So guess I have answered my own question earlier that all new watches made in 2019 should come with the new certificate instead. Agree it is a good sign to bring Bremont to the international stage especially with the new in-house movement coming in 2020.