Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bremont IAF DEMO team blue

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Being a relative newcomer to his forum and Bremont, can someone explain to me what is so great about this watch? It's a nice looking watch for sure but doesn't appeal to me any more than a typical MB so I assume the value of this watch is in its historical/military relevance?
    Theyíre rare in that they were made in low numbers and regular folks canít buy them first hand. All the Military & Special Projects watches are variations of regular production watches. I ran a FB group called ďBremonteursĒ aimed at people who collect military Bremonts and nobody asked to join that group in a year. That says quite a bit about how limited the demand is. Bremont sells them at a deep discount also which leaves a double bad taste in some ways, ie ďhey, we have all these really cool watches but you canít buy themĒ combined with ďhere, have a custom Bremont at wholesale priceĒ (if youíre eligible). Obviously, if youíre eligible itís a pretty good deal. Just about every Bremont loses 50-65% if itís value instantly but with the price paid for the military ones you have a decent chance of breaking even.

I can see the appeal with some of the military watches as they are nice designs but personally, I wouldn't want to own one unless I'd served time in the branch of the military that they were available to.

I can also see why Bremont would choose to sell the military watches at a discounted price but it could be somewhat annoying if you're a retail Bremont customer.

I can see the appeal with some of the military watches as they are nice designs but personally, I wouldn't want to own one unless I'd served time in the branch of the military that they were available to.

I can also see why Bremont would choose to sell the military watches at a discounted price but it could be somewhat annoying if you're a retail Bremont customer.
    It’s important to keep in mind that in the last three decades the “military” watch as such has died a quiet death and that few if any armed forces issue watches to personnel and those who do issue watches of a different quality than before. I own “issued” vintage watches with military history and from my point of view these Bremonts are a modern substitute. I look at everything Bremont has made in terms of Military & Special Projects watches and my question is which of them I think are the standouts. That obviously presumes that I’m ok with owning them despite not having a direct connection to the group whose members it was sold to originally. The Globemaster is one of the watches that I was looking for. I could easily have bought the civilian version, but to me the military version with military airport identifiers rather than cities on the internal bezel, the custom rotor and the C-17 on the dial is a rarer and cooler watch to own. The seller I purchased it from is a Loadmaster in the 99th RAF and he was selling it to buy the 99th Squadron 100th anniversary watch that Bremont recently put out. I got the watch, box, papers, a patch and documentation. He got the funding he needed and I got a watch that has been worn on countless flights to bases in Afghanistan and elsewhere. To me that’s a win-win.
    Last edited by Reviewspeed; 05-03-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviewspeed View Post
    It’s important to keep in mind that in the last three decades the “military” watch as such has died a quiet death and that few if any armed forces issue watches to personnel and those who do issue watches of a different quality than before. I own “issued” vintage watches with military history and from my point of view these Bremonts are a modern substitute. I look at everything Bremont has made in terms of Military & Special Projects watches and my question is which of them I think are the standouts. That obviously presumes that I’m ok with owning them despite not having a direct connection to the group whose members it was sold to originally. The Globemaster is one of the watches that I was looking for. I could easily have bought the civilian version, but to me the military version with military airport identifiers rather than cities on the internal bezel, the custom rotor and the C-17 on the dial is a rarer and cooler watch to own. The seller I purchased it from is a Loadmaster in the 99th RAF and he was selling it to buy the 99th Squadron 100th anniversary watch that Bremont recently put out. I got the watch, box, papers, a patch and documentation. He got the funding he needed and I got a watch that has been worn on countless flights to bases in Afghanistan and elsewhere. To me that’s a win-win.
    Reviewspeed. Do you wear the watches you collect? I realise we all have different ideas on this and I’ll confess I’m not one that could wear a military watch if it was not connected to me. I’m not saying you shouldn’t, just a difference of opinion.
    I do understand your logic that the watch is rarer as I also like that part of it, and I have mostly ended up with limited edition Bremont watches because of this.
    Regards John

To me that’s a win-win.
    Nothing wrong with that at all.

I'm of the same train of thought as Prestjoh that I wouldn't wear a military watch without having a connection to it. I wouldn't have an issue with anyone that would, it's just not for me. I think the closest I'll get is when I eventually purchase the Argonaut which I'm sure will happen at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Prestjoh View Post
    Reviewspeed. Do you wear the watches you collect? I realise we all have different ideas on this and I’ll confess I’m not one that could wear a military watch if it was not connected to me. I’m not saying you shouldn’t, just a difference of opinion.
    I do understand your logic that the watch is rarer as I also like that part of it, and I have mostly ended up with limited edition Bremont watches because of this.
    Regards John
    Hi John, I’ve worn each of the ones I’ve bought for a bit after I got them, but they’re not worn regularly. I have a U2/T that I bought to wear. There was a murdered (blacked out) Kingsman on eBay earlier this year that I should have bought at $2k when it was for sale but I passed on it. I’ve got an Instagram account with the same username as this one where there’s photos of many of the watches in my collection. The Bremont military thing basically started about three years ago when a friend and I were chatting over drinks at a RedBar meeting and I said that I thought the military Bremonts in many cases were cooler than their civilian counterparts and that if I were to pick up one a year for ten years I’d have a nice little collection of them. If there isn’t a secondary market for them then like the regular Bremonts they’re not going to keep their value and that’s a shame for the brand in the long run in my view. In order for Bremont overall to do well there has to be descent market for their preowned watches and only people who collect them can do that. I don’t have any big qualms about wearing a pre-owned military one. I know what it is but other than a RedBar meeting I’ve never had anyone say “hey, is that a Bremont” when I’ve worn them. If you look in my IG feed, I’ve got a military issue Pulsar chronograph that was worn by a British helicopter pilot for four tours in Afghanistan in the Helmand Province. That’s a true military watch in the old school sense of the term and I’m fine wearing that around (in my view obviously) just like any UK military issue watch bought off of eBay for around a grand. There’s probably also an age-of-the-watch thing in play. If a watch is 20-30 years away from its connection with the military then maybe it’s easier to wear it? It’s an interesting discussion for sure
    Last edited by Reviewspeed; 05-04-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Hi John, Iíve worn each of the ones Iíve bought for a bit after I got them, but theyíre not worn regularly. I have a U2/T that I bought to wear. There was a murdered (blacked out) Kingsman on eBay earlier this year that I should have bought at $2k when it was for sale but I passed on it. Iíve got an Instagram account with the same username as this one where thereís photos of many of the watches in my collection. The Bremont military thing basically started about three years ago when a friend and I were chatting over drinks at a RedBar meeting and I said that I thought the military Bremonts in many cases were cooler than their civilian counterparts and that if I were to pick up one a year for ten years Iíd have a nice little collection of them. If there isnít a secondary market for them then like the regular Bremonts theyíre not going to keep their value and thatís a shame for the brand in the long run in my view. In order for Bremont overall to do well there has to be descent market for their preowned watches and only people who collect them can do that. I donít have any big qualms about wearing a pre-owned military one. I know what it is but other than a RedBar meeting Iíve never had anyone say ďhey, is that a BremontĒ when Iíve worn them. If you look in my IG feed, Iíve got a military issue Pulsar chronograph that was worn by a British helicopter pilot for four tours in Afghanistan in the Helmand Province. Thatís a true military watch in the old school sense of the term and Iím fine wearing that around (in my view obviously) just like any UK military issue watch bought off of eBay for around a grand. Thereís probably also an age-of-the-watch thing in play. If a watch is 20-30 years away from its connection with the military then maybe itís easier to wear it? Itís an interesting discussion for sure
    I checked your IG out. Definitely a cool collection.

In my opinion, buying Bremont Military watches may be similar to buying IWC Top Gun or JLC Navy SEAL watches? Except the Bremont Military watch may have some stories behind it!!!
    @mr.airwristi

Current collection:
    Bremont MBII Military and Special Projects (Titanium Barrel)
    Bremont MBIII Military and Special Projects DLC (Jet Barrel)
    Bremont RAAF Medical Branch
    Rolex Explorer 2 16570
    Tudor Prince Oysterdate Chrono-Time 9121/0S

If there isn’t a secondary market for them then like the regular Bremonts they’re not going to keep their value and that’s a shame for the brand in the long run in my view. In order for Bremont overall to do well there has to be descent market for their preowned watches and only people who collect them can do that.
    That's the part I can't quite fathom. If I was part of a particular section of the military and ordered a Bremont watch specific to that section, I wouldn't ever sell it, I would consider it part of my history to be passed on to a relative. If there is a preowned market for them it suggests that they no longer hold an appeal to the owners which is a shame and given that those watches sell for far less than the retail ones it almost becomes a 'grey' market devaluing both the brand and the retail watches, or at least those retail watches that the military versions are based on.

That's the part I can't quite fathom. If I was part of a particular section of the military and ordered a Bremont watch specific to that section, I wouldn't ever sell it, I would consider it part of my history to be passed on to a relative. If there is a preowned market for them it suggests that they no longer hold an appeal to the owners which is a shame and given that those watches sell for far less than the retail ones it almost becomes a 'grey' market devaluing both the brand and the retail watches, or at least those retail watches that the military versions are based on.
    I think that’s true for most of the watches they sell. The seller of the Globemaster I bought told me that his squadron buys another watch every five years or so and that the 100th anniversary one would be available if and when they buy the next watch. The seller of the second USAF Red Team watch I bought was pairing down his watch collection and he remembered that I had reached out to him a good while back about his watch. A certain percentage will come for sale for various reasons, most likely because someone is (a) not using it and (b) having $2-4K outweighs the sentimental value of the watch. Bremont has taken steps to try to discourage military buyers from selling them again. For all of the military watches except the MB1 ejection watch a sale within three years voids the warranty. For the MB1 ejection watch, Bremont reserves the right to turn the watch into a standard MB.
    Last edited by Reviewspeed; 05-05-2019 at 04:48 AM.

I have several close friends who have got Bremont Military & Special Projects watches for themselves. Whilst theyíve not sold them on, lots of their colleagues have. It seems the opportunity to make several thousand pounds outweighs what the watch represents - especially if they know another one is in the pipeline soon, which is often the case.

Letís not forget, to a lot of these guys and girls, it isnít a Bremont, nor an MBII, it is Ďjustí a watch.

J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk