Thread: Trouble understanding ALT1-WT

Trouble understanding ALT1-WT

I own an ALT1-WT. THeres one part I find confusing.
    On another GMT watch of mine, a Rolex Explorer II, you’re instructed to use the 24 hr GMT hand as your home time. The minute and hour hands are set the same. When you change time zones, you only change the hour Hand. The date changes past midnight in your new locale. Easy.

With the WT, since the GMT hand is synced with the minute and hour hand, when I change time zones, and reset the minute and hour hands to my new locale, it also moves the GMT hand. So, now LONDON GMT time is wrong. Does that mean that every time I change locations, I have to reset LONDON GMT time? It would have been easier if the hour hand could have disconnected.

I hope this wasn’t too confusing.

Regards,
    Richard.
    Owner/Producer: FOOL ON THE HILL RECORDING STUDIO, NASHVILLE TN
    BREMONT ALT1-WT/WH, ROLEX SKY DWELLER, ROLEX EXPLORER II, TUDOR PELAGOS LH, CHRISTOPHER WARD C65 GMT, JUNGHANS BILL MAX, JUNHANS BILL MIX CHRONO, JAEGER LECOULTRE REVERSO, DUBEY & SCALDENBRAND AERODYNE

Wow....not one person on this forum knows how to operate an ALT1-WT?? Bummer!!!
    BREMONT ALT1-WT/WH, ROLEX SKY DWELLER, ROLEX EXPLORER II, TUDOR PELAGOS LH, CHRISTOPHER WARD C65 GMT, JUNGHANS BILL MAX, JUNHANS BILL MIX CHRONO, JAEGER LECOULTRE REVERSO, DUBEY & SCALDENBRAND AERODYNE

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Landis View Post
    I think you just rotate the bezel to which ever country you want to know which time it is to the 12 o'clock position then read the numbers off the bezel as the correct 24 hr time. I think its pretty much that basic. its just a 24hr bezel with some additional locations added.

Trouble understanding ALT1-WT

Richard,

First off, it’s good to see you posting here again.

Now, to answer you question - there are essentially two types of GMT watch: a ‘true’ GMT watch and a ‘non-true’ GMT watch. Let me explain...

In a ‘true’ watch, the GMT hand and the hour hand move independently, whereas in the ‘non-true’ the hour and minutes remain fixed, whilst the GMT hand moves. As I am sure you are away, you can adjust the GMT hand independently by pulling the crown to position two and rotating the crown anti-clockwise.

Practically, for you with your WT, this means that you have to set the new time of your location, adjust the GMT hand as required, and read off the time in whichever place you wish to using the rotating chapter ring, by placing that place at the 12 o’clock position.

J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 11-24-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Richard,

Now, to answer you question - there are essentially two types of GMT watch: a ‘true’ GMT watch and a ‘non-true’ GMT watch. Let me explain...

In a ‘true’ watch, the GMT hand and the hour hand move independently, whereas in the ‘non-true’ the hour and minutes remain fixed, whilst the GMT hand moves. As I am sure you are away, you can adjust the GMT hand independently by pulling the crown to position two and rotating the crown anti-clockwise.

Practically, for you with your WT, this means that you have to set the new time of your location, adjust the GMT hand as required, and read off the time in whichever place you wish to using the rotating chapter ring, by placing that place at the 12 o’clock position.

J.

That's what I said

Ha! It seems that some of us (at least in US) were in a turkey comma and/or out on Black Friday between your two posts. I am still recovering from the past two days.

Richard,

J.

That's the answer I was waiting for. I have a Rolex Explorer II, and the hour hand can be set independent of the GMT or minute hand....so, when I leave Nashville for London, I just move the hour hand forward 6 hours, and I'm done....the date changes based on the time at my new location. It's very convenient. Unfortunately, with the ALT1-WT, when I move the time forward 6 hours, it moves the GMT hand as well, making the GMT time inaccurate, so I then have to reset that hand to GMT time. Not so convenient. I had wondered if I was doing something wrong....you've straightened me out. Thank you.....Richard

Thank you.....Richard
    Pleasure, Richard. Thanks for partaking in the forum and asking the question - do stick around.

J.

Richard,

J.

I am new to this forum, and considering a purchase of the ALT1-WT at the moment.

My understanding is the following:

A true GMT watch works in a way that the GMT hand can be set as a constant to the "home" time, irrespective of where "home" is. While the H+M hands can be moved to wherever one travels, without having to move the GMT hand. That way, H+M shows local time (and date relatively), GMT hand shows "home". And a 24 hour bezel can be adjusted to a 3rd timezone relative to "home".

However, in the ALT1-WT, one has to set H+M hands to "local" time during travel. The GMT hand also moves relatively when moving the H+M hands, so one has to manually 'reset' the GMT hand back to GMT (or "home"). And then use the 24 hour bezel to tell a 3rd timezone relative to the GMT hand.

Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by blryoda View Post

However, in the ALT1-WT, one has to set H+M hands to "local" time during travel. The GMT hand also moves relatively when moving the H+M hands, so one has to manually 'reset' the GMT hand back to GMT (or "home"). And then use the 24 hour bezel to tell a 3rd timezone relative to the GMT hand.

Is this correct?
    Yes!

I always forget which way to turn the crown when setting the date (stupid non-31 day months) and sometimes adjust the GMT hand.