Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bremont Supersonic - The 2018 Heritage Limited Edition

Bremont Supersonic - The 2018 Heritage Limited Edition

Bremont have just announced their latest major LE watch, the Supersonic - a 50th anniversary celebration of the supersonic airliner that despite being retired, remains a modern technological marvel - the Concorde. Bremont and British Airways have teamed up on this project to create a truly unique piece that will likely resonate deeply with fans of the legendary Concorde aircraft.

Traditionally, Bremont take the opportunity to show off their technological achievements by incorporating unique complication into these yearly LE projects. The Victory had a double retrograde movement, the Codebreaker used a flyback chronograph, the Wright Flyer the BWC-01 movement, the 1918 had an AM/PM indicator window, and now the Supersonic is the first use of a manual wound movement, complete with an impressive 8 day power reserve, with indicator at the top portion of the dial.

As the Supersonic is the first non-Automatic Bremont, this certainly feels like unexplored territory for the brand. Bremont have worked with their Swiss movement partner, La Joux Perret, to create this particular movement, dubbed the BE-11M. Many of us have come to associate these Heritage LE projects with their unique movement rotors, which often incorporate a precious material of historical significance along with a distinguishable color scheme. Well, the English brothers haven't strayed too far from their successful LE formula, as they've found a way to display the movement innards through a unique bridge plate window shaped as a Concorde silhouette. The movement is tastefully finished in a Côtes de Genève motif, and surrounded by a dark ring of aluminum collected from...you guessed it...a Concorde! Not just any Concorde mind you, but one from the British Airways fleet named "G-BOAB" or "Alpha Bravo" for short. This plane had a distinguished history, being the third Concorde in the British Airway fleet, with first flight in May 1976 and recorded a total of 6,688 trips before being retired in 2000. During that span, it was documented as reaching a top speed of Mach 2.05. These flight facts are memorialized on the aluminum ring encircling the manual movement and visible through the rear caseback crystal.

The Supersonic comes in the standard Bremont size of 43mm, with 22mm lug width, complete with Trip-Trick case. The watch height measures at 14.56mm. You may notice that the top-case looks somewhat different than the standard Bremont case. This particular case has been used at least once before on the small run 10th Anniversary Watch that Bremont released in 2017.

There are several Concorde design cues positioned across the watch. The 12H red dial arrow is actually in the shape of a Concorde.

The watch dial is white with silver tones, with a subtle sunburst pattern. Bremont are calling it "Sunray Silver White" which is meant to compliment the unique and specialized reflective paint used on the Concorde itself. There are blue accents on the handsets and straps which are a nod to the British Airways color scheme. At the 6 o'clock position there is a running small seconds window with a textured Concorde pattern slyly incorporated. This is somewhat reminiscent of how Bremont incorporated the Auld Mug onto the dial of their Americas Cup range, specifically the AC35 and AC1 watches. I feel as though Bremont have walked a fine line here, and pulled off a detail that is both tasteful and clever without looking out of place or gaudy.

The watch crown features four Concorde inlays that are composed to look like compass needles, or even a star.

The Supersonic is being offered in 3 varieties: polished Stainless Steel, White Gold, and Rose Gold. The stainless version will be limited to 300 pieces, while the gold versions will be shipped at 100 units each. There are a few subtle, yet notable distinguishing features between the models. The steel version has painted Arabic numerals, omits a date window border and features blued steel minute and hour hands, with a blue leather strap. The gold versions feature coordinating gold applied Arabic numerals, a gold date window border, a gold handset, and uses crocodile leather straps in blue for white gold, and brown for rose gold.

The presentation packaging for the Supersonic is sure to titilate fans of the Concorde! It is an aluminum desk stand shaped as the iconic Concorde nose. When the nose is depressed/lowered, as it would be in a take-off or landing situation, the watch is revealed from the rear fuselage. Too cool! As far as I am aware, there are no extra straps or accessories with the Supersonic.

The price of the Supersonic is as follows:

Stainless Steel - $12,495 / £9,495 / €10,895

White Gold - $23,995 / £17,995 / €20,495

Rose Gold - $22,995 / £16,995 / €19,495

I am told that they are to begin shipping as early as Mid-November 2018.

What do you all think? Is the Supersonic everything you were hoping for? Do you plan to add one to your collection? Did they miss out on an opportunity this year? I'd love to hear your feedback below. If you have any specific questions, I’ll do my best to track down an answer.

Jeremy
    Last edited by jwalker9; 10-24-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Love the Manual Movement! Dial design is nice and clean. Only dislike is placement and size of Supersonic on the dial. Wish it was a bit more subtle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----------------------------------------------
    Current Bremont Watch List:
    Bremont P-51, ALT1-C, ALT1-B, AC1, Alt1tude SE

The Other Stuff:
    Rolex, Oak & Oscar, ML Ponto S Diver, Longines, Seiko, G-Shock, Tag Heuer

Shame about the supersonic and Bremont wording on dial. For me it just does not look right. Other than that another stunning looking watch.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Love it. Sadly couldn’t be there tonight but my wife and my Dad reported back and are delighted with it. I’m in. So cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Supersonic LE (no.76]
    1918 LE (no.18)
    MBii Orange
    Alt1-C / CR (sold)
    Alt1- C / PW
    Supermarine S500 BK
    Omega Constellation
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega de ville co-axel chronometer

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for posting this.

Well, what do we make of this new watch? I think it is absolutely stunning--all three versions. Also, I think it looks best in SS. The contrast with the blue hands really makes the dial pop. The face is beautifully proportioned, and the dial is very uncluttered and reflects great balance with the small seconds and date indicator. I think the manual wind, eight day power reserve feature just below the red Concorde marker is a wonderful feature, and gives the watch a critical function--I'm a big proponent of power reserves on manual watches. Its also a step up for the Bremont team in terms of technical watchmaking prowess. All in all, I think its a very fine dress watch and I applaud Bremont for their efforts.

Having said that, I have three complaints with the watch, and I'd be interested in the thoughts of others. Firstly, I really do wish it had a World Timer (WT) function. Celebrating Concorde is one thing, but I think it would have been appropriate to celebrate what the aircraft did: dart around the planet in style, dropping people in far flung corners of the world. This watch celebrates the technical marvel that Concorde was, and does it through the power reserve function. The watch doesn't celebrate Concorde's functionality, in reflecting a more glorious age of travel. The power reserve function is an incredibly subtle feature, and doesn't do Concorde justice. I think the watch could have celebrated both the aircraft's technical prowess and its functionality. Having a WT function would have ticked the second box, and really contributed to celebrating both aspects of Concorde. Concorde was about shrinking the globe, and a WT function would have been perfect. As it is, I think the watch lacks something. By the by, I would not have gone with a GMT as Bremont do that on so many other watches, and put one on the 1918 last year.

Secondly, the watch is 43mm and 14.5mm, which I think is a too big for a dress watch. If there was one complaint I had with the 1918 was that it was and is a big watch. It did fit under the cuff nicely, and it certainly had wrist presence. But, it felt a bit too big--which hit me after a few days (my wrist is 7.5 inches). Sure, its not an IWC Big Pilot's Watch. However, its still big. Perhaps because I've gotten used to wearing a 40mm, 12.5mm 1675 GMT for the last year, I'm used to a smaller watch. I'm not, as I've worn big 45mm watches in the past. I just wish that the watch was more 40-42mm and 10.5-12.5mm, which is more in keeping with a dress watch, and that's what the Supersonic is.

Lastly, I think the placement of the words "Supersonic" looks odd on the face opposite "Bremont." It feels as if the words were added to make the dial symmetrical, but they don't look quite right, especially with different fonts and font sizes.. To me, this supports the notion that Bremont should have added the WT. Its as if the dial could have reflected another feature, but Bremont limited its functionality.

All in all, a beautiful time piece which I'm sure looks just wonderful in the flesh. However, I confess to a pang of disappointment. I love the Bremont brand, and what they are doing. As I've written before, no other watch manufacturer makes LE historical watches, and those that do don't come close to the quality of Bremont. Further, as they only make one historical LE per year (and thank goodness, as any more would saturate the small market of buyers for these watches), I think they really need to hit the mark. For me, whilst really lovely, the Supersonic misses the mark a little in not fully exploring the Concorde concept in watch form. It doesn't miss the mark by much, but I would not want to look at a watch and think, "I wish Bremont had..."

Thoughts on a post card to Barry Took, C/O BBC Television Centre.

Best,
    Argo
    Last edited by Argo; 10-24-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Awesome! The execution of the movement bridges is genius!

Maybe I am seeing things...

We obviously have the Concorde silhouette. But, I see it breaking the sound barrier while zipping across the Atlantic. Check it out:

Blue - Concorde
    Green - Earth
    Yellow - The sound barrier going KABOOM!

...now, you are seeing things. You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by awildermode View Post

We obviously have the Concorde silhouette. But, I see it breaking the sound barrier while zipping across the Atlantic. Check it out:

Blue - Concorde
    Green - Earth

And now I can't un-see it

Having had the pleasure of going to the launch event last night, I got to look at, handle and photograph the watches. The PM pieces were left in the cabinets, so only the SS pieces were out and available to "touch"!!

I have to say, leading up to this launch, I was full of excitement as I have loved Concorde from an early age. Seeing and hearing it going out routinely over the West Country where I lived and in later years have the good fortune to control the aircraft as it flew through UK airspace.
    It is a truly iconic and special machine and can say that it was actually quite emotional watching the archive footage of Concorde in action in the Bremont movie at the launch.

The watch itself is a beautiful design and pays tribute wonderfully to the beautiful design of the aircraft. It is also wonderful to see Bremont using this piece to have their 1st Manual Wind movement coupled with their 1st Power Reserve feature.
    The Crown is also a nice touch, being a different, new shape. It seems to look thinner when looking down on the watch, but wider across, when viewing from the side. Bremont have also taken the opportunity here to move away from the Bremont propellor logo on the crown, to show 4 Concorde shapes, which creates an amazingly cool pattern!!
    To allay fears of "size" of the watch, yes its 43mm but is considerably slimmer on the wrist than nearly all of the other other historical LE's released - probably very similar to the Wright Flyer if anyone has had the good fortune to try or own that! It is also a very good (light) weight so feels more of a dress watch.
    The movement is something special to look at for sure, and as shown in the post above - paints an entire picture!!!

I do however agree on the "Supersonic" text on the dial looking a space-filler, or as someone has suggested, to create balance with the Bremont branding.
    My other issue on the Night, was that a lot of the lighting around where the watches were, was mainly of the coloured neon variety, and trying to get an idea of what the dial actually looks like was pretty difficult. Needless to say, it didn't photograph very well under these conditions and the dial looked very silvery to me, more often than white.

So, to sum up, it's a beautiful watch. A beautiful clean dial, great new spec/features and thinner than usual historical LE's. It ticks a lot of boxes for me.
    Will I buy one..? It's possible! I just have to see that dial in the daylight to check how it will actually look once its out in the wild, and that I can live with that "Supersonic" wording being so obvious on the dial...

If I can work out at any point how to post photos here now, I'll try to put some up!!
    Last edited by chipbutty55; 10-28-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by awildermode View Post

Blue - Concorde
    Green - Earth

Plausible but only under the influence....