Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Thinking of a Bremont- are they really that tough?

  1. #1

    Thinking of a Bremont- are they really that tough?

    Hi guys, just joined the forum but have been looking at Bremonts for a little while, ever since randomly checking out their boutique in NYC. One of the things that impressed me was the "toughness" that they market, as well as the truly great design.

    So, my question is- is the toughness real, or just marketing? I'm not looking to abuse my mechanical watch but mostly looking for a rugged watch that I can take biking, running, hiking etc. but still enjoy for the office and other uses. My favorites are the Alt1-ZT and the MBII/III. Thanks for the opinions!

  2. #2
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,949

    Thinking of a Bremont- are they really that tough?

    Hi wooden_spoon, thanks for joining and welcome to the forum!

    Bremont are as tough as their marketing suggests. I’m not easy on mine at all (especially my S500) and they look as good as the day I picked them up from the AD. In fact Jeremy posted a photo on Facebook the other day of his 7 year old ALT1-P. You’d believe him if he said it was new!

    As I’m sure you know, Bremont harden their cases with B-EBE2000 technology - in non-watchnerd speak, that’s 7 times harder than a normal watch case, around about 2000Hz.

    And then, when it comes to their sapphire crystals, they have a Mohs hardness rating of 9. The Anti-Reflective coating is also applied to the crystal in nine layers - and mine still looks perfect (whereas I’ve scratched other watch brands without even thinking about it!)

    You can read more about the above here: Bremont Technology

    J.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 05-23-2018 at 08:26 AM.

  3. #3
    Hi wooden_spoon

    Bremonts are pretty tough and tougher than any other watch I have owned ( except my casio dw5600), however in my experience there not invincible. I've got 8 and they all have some damage in one way or another. My dlc mb3 has a large dent from walking into a door and the dlc coating looked pretty rough on the lugs as well as some of the enamel being knocked out of the crown. My MB1 has a trashed barrel and dented lug from an encounter with some concrete. My alt1 p's crystal cracked whilst i was wearing it ( this is being fixed under warranty as a fault). Both my solo and alt1b's barrels came loose from the main case ( fixed under warranty). My jag has a loverly scratch on the ar coating on the glass and theres a fair few scratches on the lugs from strap changes. My boeing 247 has nice scratch on the display back glass (I must have rough skin). The bracelets are made out of butter and will scratch if you just look at them. All this damage is just from day to day wear and i wouldn't dream of wearing them out to do anything active ( my casio is tougher, more accurate and has more functionality than any of my bremonts so i wear that for those type of things).

    However the great thing about Bremonts is you can just send them in and they will replace your cases, barrels, crowns and all that jazz for next to nothing (in watch terms). For £380 i got my mb3 looking as good as new with a new barrel, case and crowns plus they gave it a test to make sure it was running perfectly!

    If your watch comes into contact with any form of rock, tarmac, gravel or anything else rock based it will loose every time. In terms of shock resistance, let put it this way, my old man ejected out of a jaguar and his little cheap automatic seiko survived perfectly and ran like a dream for many more years, that says it all about that.

    Long story short, buy an Alt1-ZT and wear it every chance you get then when you get on your bike or go scrabbling in the dirt put on your Casio Dw5600.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hi wooden_spoon

    Bremonts are pretty tough and tougher than any other watch I have owned ( except my casio dw5600), however in my experience there not invincible. I've got 8 and they all have some damage in one way or another. My dlc mb3 has a large dent from walking into a door and the dlc coating looked pretty rough on the lugs as well as some of the enamel being knocked out of the crown. My MB1 has a trashed barrel and dented lug from an encounter with some concrete. My alt1 p's crystal cracked whilst i was wearing it ( this is being fixed under warranty as a fault). Both my solo and alt1b's barrels came loose from the main case ( fixed under warranty). My jag has a loverly scratch on the ar coating on the glass and theres a fair few scratches on the lugs from strap changes. My boeing 247 has nice scratch on the display back glass (I must have rough skin). The bracelets are made out of butter and will scratch if you just look at them. All this damage is just from day to day wear and i wouldn't dream of wearing them out to do anything active ( my casio is tougher, more accurate and has more functionality than any of my bremonts so i wear that for those type of things).

    However the great thing about Bremonts is you can just send them in and they will replace your cases, barrels, crowns and all that jazz for next to nothing (in watch terms). For £380 i got my mb3 looking as good as new with a new barrel, case and crowns plus they gave it a test to make sure it was running perfectly!

    If your watch comes into contact with any form of rock, tarmac, gravel or anything else rock based it will loose every time. In terms of shock resistance, let put it this way, my old man ejected out of a jaguar and his little cheap automatic seiko survived perfectly and ran like a dream for many more years, that says it all about that.

    Long story short, buy an Alt1-ZT and wear it every chance you get then when you get on your bike or go scrabbling in the dirt put on your Casio Dw5600.
    Awesome thanks for the opinions. Great to hear about the watches and especially ease of service!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The bracelets are made out of butter and will scratch if you just look at them.
    They are the only gripe I have about the watches at the moment. The bracelet, whilst good, does let the side down just a tad.

    I absolutely love the look and feel, and itís the best thing Iíve done (putting it on my S500), however it doesnít match up to the rest of the watch in terms of durability, which is a huge shame. If HQ could work out a way of hardening the bracelet to the same standard as the case, that would 100% be a winner.

    Donít get me wrong, itís still brilliant and seems to wear better than other bracelets Iíve owned (especially Rolex!), but there is room for improvement in my opinion.

    J.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    73
    I wear mine all the time (Alt1-ZT-BK) and itís held up pretty well. I am moving over to the endurance for the anti-shock, which I think I might benefit from, but my Alt has held up well so far!

    I never take my watch off, and I can tell you that the straps are rubbish. Iíd take a bracelet any day, but the colour discrepancy is an issue for me. Iíve resorted to a cheap ZULU, which I prefer very much. The straps are not built for water, and I bathe, swim, wash, and get my watch wet all the time. Straps suck.

    The Endurance is titanium, and the bracelet matches; I canít add much to the discussion of titanium bracelets, as I have not received it yet.

    I said I live in mine, well, here is a photo of mine at the gym.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. :smokin::twit::smokin:


    SS Submariner no date 1992 (flipped); SS GMT II 2007 (flipped); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (flipped); SS Sub C 2011 (flipped); 16753, '81 TT GMT 'Root Beer'

  7. #7
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,949
    Quote Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
    I never take my watch off, and I can tell you that the straps are rubbish. Iíd take a bracelet any day, but the colour discrepancy is an issue for me. Iíve resorted to a cheap ZULU, which I prefer very much. The straps are not built for water, and I bathe, swim, wash, and get my watch wet all the time. Straps suck.
    In the interests of balance - thatís not just an issue Bremont have. Itís a leather strap, itís not meant to be swam with!

    J.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Senior Member CaptLeslie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Litchfield Park, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    603
    The Bremonts I wear for all out door activities are on their rubber straps! They are awesome and will take any thing you throw at them, they are comfy and look great! Cheers Jim
    Breitling Navitimer, Omega PO, Rolex Datejust,Platinum Yacht Master ,Rado Sinatra, Bremont MB1,S500 Supermarine, Blue ALT1-P, 37 & 43 White Solos ,Bronze MBIII, White Boeing Model 1, F-16 Viper DLC Blue, and the Wright Flyer! Speake-Marin Wing Commander

  9. #9
    wooden sp0on

    If you want one Bremont to rule them all. Buy yourself a Boeing 247ti. Its got a screw down crown, screw down pushers, great lume packed bezel, great lume on the dial, hex key lugs that are super strong, its titanium so its light and strong plus the colouring is nicer than steel, matching titanium bracelet that really fits the case ( unlike the rest), large display back with decorated rotor and the matching Seattle strap fits great/is waterproof/super comfy. The watch looks great on a bracelet, nato ( mine goes on a green one), vintage brown strap or even a shiny crocodile one to dress it up. its the best watch they sell. just buy that. just do it, dont mess around with the rest of them. Just bloody buy one of those already before I blow my top!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    wooden sp0on

    If you want one Bremont to rule them all. Buy yourself a Boeing 247ti. Its got a screw down crown, screw down pushers, great lume packed bezel, great lume on the dial, hex key lugs that are super strong, its titanium so its light and strong plus the colouring is nicer than steel, matching titanium bracelet that really fits the case ( unlike the rest), large display back with decorated rotor and the matching Seattle strap fits great/is waterproof/super comfy. The watch looks great on a bracelet, nato ( mine goes on a green one), vintage brown strap or even a shiny crocodile one to dress it up. its the best watch they sell. just buy that. just do it, dont mess around with the rest of them. Just bloody buy one of those already before I blow my top!
    yes I agree that one is fantastic!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Top Watch Sites