Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bremont MB1.5

Hello J,

I was aware that the modifications to the dial were limited to the chapter ring but I was not aware of the construction and whether this was attached to the main 'face' or separate. I was however aware that the handset modification was the solid yellow MB1 second hand. As per my previous comments, it comes down to personal taste but I personally like how the yellow print on the chapter ring, in line with the MB1, and special yellow seconds hand set the face apart from the MBII.

Chances are that I'll never have to use a MB seat (trying to avoid empting fate!), so the MB1.5 and the aesthetic of it appealed to me. Were I not to own this watch, I'd be very happy to own an MBII because it is a very handsome watch as well but as I said above, the extra yellow on dial just lifts it imho.

After all these years, the early Bremont designs are still my favourites and the MB is just a very good looking time piece.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Just a point of note for those who want to learn more about these rare watches (I am sure you are aware of this, AM) - the MB1.5 does not have the dial from the MB1, it is a standard MBII dial. The MB1 dial as only appeared on a very limited run of other watches, aside from the MB1, which were made for Martin-Baker employees and named the MB1.25.

The features borrowed from the MB1 and used on the MB1.5 are the chapter ring with yellow numbers and the solid yellow seconds hand.

J.
    Hi, sorry to jump into this thread.
    I have what you describe as an MB1.25
    MB on the dial, yellow sweep hand and yellow numbers on the minute scale.
    Can I ask if the designation '1.25' is official Bremont or is it just a familiar name among the Bremont community?
    Also do you know how many were in this run?
    Interestingly in the comms from Bremont when it was in for service a few years back they referred to it as a MB1 - despite the none-red barrel.
    Maybe they round the numbers down - Hahahahahahaha :-)
    Cheers,
    Andy...

Last edited by andyo; 04-16-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    AndyO...
    Edinburgh/Scotland
    24heuer.com

Quote Originally Posted by andyo View Post
    Can I ask if the designation '1.25' is official Bremont or is it just a familiar name among the Bremont community?
    Andy, I was waiting for someone more knowledgable to answer your question but as they haven't, I'll give you my take on it.

My MB1.5 has that name etched onto the back of the watch and when it was sent into Bremont, they referred to it as an MB1.5 in the correspondence (and on the paperwork at time of sale). So that covers my watch.

I believe the only difference between your watch and mine is that yours has a small MB logo on the dial and, obviously, neither of them have the red barrel. For servicing purposes, Bremont would need to be able to change parts, where applicable, and therefore, they must have noted that your watch was neither an MB1 or an MB2 and therefore, the moniker of MB1.25 would make sense (to avoid it being redialed (if needed) with a standard dial). I would suppose that your serial number is registered with Bremont and designates the specification, if only for servicing and warranty purposes.

Thanks m8,
    Makes sense.
    So, MB1.5 = official Bremont designation.
    MB1.25 = maybe official Bremont designation.
    Incidentally, mine has always had the 'Martin Baker Ejection Seat' triangle on the caseback.
    When it went back to HQ for a service though they engraved it with MB/serialNo.
    Cheers,
    Andy...
    AndyO...
    Edinburgh/Scotland
    24heuer.com

Quote Originally Posted by andyo View Post
    Thanks m8,
    Makes sense.
    So, MB1.5 = official Bremont designation.
    MB1.25 = maybe official Bremont designation.
    Incidentally, mine has always had the 'Martin Baker Ejection Seat' triangle on the caseback.
    When it went back to HQ for a service though they engraved it with MB/serialNo.
    Cheers,
    Andy...
    Sorry for the slow reply.

MB1/1.25/1.5 etc are all designations used by Bremont - say it to them, and they'll know exactly what you mean. Some, though, are more well known than others!

J.

Just a word of caution when it comes to pricing these special/limited edition Bremonts: Make sure to price it correctly. What I've been noticing lately is that when something like a Victory or P51 comes up for sale, it tends to sit unsold for months (and a few cases for years). Even the MB 1.5 that Topper is attempting to sell has been unsold since at least December according to WatchRecon:

https://www.watchrecon.com/detail.ph...nt&cid=3848004

As to why a limited edition goes unsold for ages, well, here is my theory:
    1. Your average watch enthusiast is not the intended buyer. No, that demographic is reserved for your Bremont fan.
    2. Said Bremont fan has to both be willing and able to shell out the usually ridiculous (IMO) premium/coin commanded for a sold out limited edition.

And for me personally, I can't justify paying a premium for the various MB derivatives because I see them as just that—derivatives. Yes, I understand that your special edition MBs have meaning behind them—I get that—but for me personally, it's nothing more than a standard MB but with different markings on the dial, a different colored seconds hand, etc. From a strictly technical and overall design perspective, I feel there is nothing significantly or materially different that would justify a premium. The exact same technical specs remain: Same ETA movement, same case, etc. Again, I understand that each MB derivative, especially the MB I, is made for specific purpose, but to me an MB is an MB is an MB. And I'm not just singling out Bremont here; many a brand employ this tactic. For example, XYZ Watch Company will change the dial color on one of their standard production models, call it a limited edition, and slap a $2k upcharge just for the privilege of owning what is essentially a standard production model, but with a blue dial instead of black. This is one tactic in the watch industry that has always infuriated me. So going by this mindset, paying nearly $6k for Topper's pre-owned MB 1.5 when an MB II can be had for about $2.5k on the secondary market simply makes no sense to me at all.

Feel free to completely disagree with or disregard what I've said. I freely admit that most of it is my opinion anyway, and you know what's said about opinions: They're like a**holes; everybody has one.

That being said, I'm not knocking the OP in any way. Anyone selling anything certainly reserves the right to sell for whatever price they see fit.
    Last edited by Vig2000; 04-27-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Sorry for the slow reply.

MB1/1.25/1.5 etc are all designations used by Bremont - say it to them, and they'll know exactly what you mean. Some, though, are more well known than others!

J.
    That's great to know - thanks for the info.
    Cheers,
    Andy...
    AndyO...
    Edinburgh/Scotland
    24heuer.com

Newb

Wink Thoughts on MB 1.5 price

I think you'll get a good price for your 1.5, but it might take 6-9 months to sell. You have to wait for the right person who wants the 1.5 over the other limited editions. That might take awhile. I also think the LEs are something that appeal to a tiny fraction of the small number of people who desire not only a Bremont, but a Bremont Martin Baker that is unlike most others.

Maybe think of it this way:
    Humans: 10000000
    Humans who like watches: 100
    Humans who like Bremont watches: 10
    Humans who like Bremont watches enough to know and appreciate the MB, the MB1.5, and the MB1.5 LEs: 2

To sell to one of those 2 humans, you have to wait for them to (1) want a new watch, (2) have the money, (3) want an MB, and (4) want it now.

Quote Originally Posted by alohaj View Post
    I think you'll get a good price for your 1.5, but it might take 6-9 months to sell. You have to wait for the right person who wants the 1.5 over the other limited editions. That might take awhile. I also think the LEs are something that appeal to a tiny fraction of the small number of people who desire not only a Bremont, but a Bremont Martin Baker that is unlike most others.

Humans who like Bremont watches enough to know and appreciate the MB, the MB1.5, and the MB1.5 LEs: 2

To sell to one of those 2 humans, you have to wait for them to (1) want a new watch, (2) have the money, (3) want an MB, and (4) want it now.
    Alohaj, welcome to the forum - thanks for joining us. Also, thanks for sharing your opinion on this topic, that's certainly an interesting way of looking at it!

Do you own any Bremont? If so, do head over to this thread and share a bit about you and your watches!

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 04-27-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vig2000 View Post
    As to why a limited edition goes unsold for ages, well, here is my theory:
    1. Your average watch enthusiast is not the intended buyer. No, that demographic is reserved for your Bremont fan.
    2. Said Bremont fan has to both be willing and able to shell out the usually ridiculous (IMO) premium/coin commanded for a sold out limited edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by alohaj View Post

I think your formula is better than my theory!