Thread: Limited Edition Resale Profiteering

Limited Edition Resale Profiteering

I got to say this as I've seen a lot of these special editions with silly prices. I think its a little scummy when someone buys one of these limited editions then try's to sell it for twice the price down the line. I feel the same when someone buys a discounted ( Half price) special projects watch then try's to sell it it at more than standard RRP. If you're a fan enough of Bremont to buy a special edition why would you choice to sell it and if so why not offer another Bremont fan a chance to buy the watch at reasonable price (you don't have to make a loss but why not resell it at the same price you paid rather than just be focused on profit ).

Its my opinion that a special edition or military/special project watch should belong to someone who cherishes the watch and loves the brand. This buying watches then flogging them at crazy prices cheapens the whole experience. If you have the money to buy a limited edition I doubt you need even more money. If you plan buying a Bremont limited edition with the intention of selling down the line for a ridiculous profit, then you can afford it but do you deserve it?

If I was selling a limited edition watch Id much rather it go to someone making £30k a year, who had to scrounge together every penny they had to buy it for £7k, someone who would wear it every chance they get and really cherish it.

Apologies if I've offended anyone but as someone who is a big Bremont fan and a little sick of the naked profiteering we see everyday, I'd love to see it not infect the Bremont community as well. Just my 2 cents

Much love
    Ryan

PS Don't get me started on an MB1 for £27k, I'm lucky enough to have once passed to me by my father and you would have to kill me to get it off my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    PS Don't get me started on an MB1 for £27k, I'm lucky enough to have once passed to me by my father and you would have to kill me to get it off my wrist.
    Oh wow, that's a great story. If you can, do post a picture of it - we'd all love to see it, and maybe hear a little bit about how your Father came to need the help of a 'bang' seat.

J.

Iím with J ó Iíd love to hear your dadís MB1 story!

Iíve pre-ordered the Endurance, and I expect to wear the s#*t out of it ó it wonít be for Re-sale unless something dramatic happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. :smokin::twit::smokin:

SS Submariner no date 1992 (flipped); SS GMT II 2007 (flipped); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (flipped); SS Sub C 2011 (flipped); 16753, '81 TT GMT 'Root Beer'

Re sell the hell out of it! just don't charge someone 10k for the pleasure

My dads ejected twice, once from a jet provost and once from a Jaguar. He was part of the old cold war crew who spent alot of time in his HAS in Germany. Both times my dad got pretty injured with the JAG ejection being extra nasty. When I asked my dad what it was like to eject his response was always "its one better than death" when I respond with it "must have been quiet the experience" his reply is "being tortured is an experience, doesn't mean you want to do it" from this I get the impression its not an enjoyable.

He's had a pretty impressive flying career and moved to BEA after RAF and is currently in Saudia Arabia working with the PC21 ( I've actually got a dlc Military edition PC21 MB3 he gave me as well, he's one generous dude and this watch kicked off my Bremont collection). He always giggles at the concept of the MB series being designed to survive an ejection, he was wearing a cheap Seiko when he ejected and that thing continued to work perfectly for many years after. Hes actually got a military edition JAG MB3 with a red barrel which is pretty cool.

any way here is the watch with a Tera Nova bracelet and endlinks on it (what is cool is that it has two serial numbers on the back and two dates for both his ejections)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54567653604__3E914408-D19C-45F8-9FAE-870F97EAE82B.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	4179

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I got to say this as I've seen a lot of these special editions with silly prices. I think its a little scummy when someone buys one of these limited editions then try's to sell it for twice the price down the line. I feel the same when someone buys a discounted ( Half price) special projects watch then try's to sell it it at more than standard RRP. If you're a fan enough of Bremont to buy a special edition why would you choice to sell it and if so why not offer another Bremont fan a chance to buy the watch at reasonable price (you don't have to make a loss but why not resell it at the same price you paid rather than just be focused on profit ).

Its my opinion that a special edition or military/special project watch should belong to someone who cherishes the watch and loves the brand. This buying watches then flogging them at crazy prices cheapens the whole experience. If you have the money to buy a limited edition I doubt you need even more money. If you plan buying a Bremont limited edition with the intention of selling down the line for a ridiculous profit, then you can afford it but do you deserve it?

If I was selling a limited edition watch Id much rather it go to someone making £30k a year, who had to scrounge together every penny they had to buy it for £7k, someone who would wear it every chance they get and really cherish it.

Apologies if I've offended anyone but as someone who is a big Bremont fan and a little sick of the naked profiteering we see everyday, I'd love to see it not infect the Bremont community as well. Just my 2 cents

Much love
    Ryan

Even though your MBI is cool, allow me to directly address the crux of your post: Basically, I couldn't agree more with you. Many will tell you that owners of these special/limited editions are only pricing them according to the market. I don't really buy that since it is profiteering, pure and simple. Case in point: There's a member here whose been trying to sell his P-51 since July of last year. Here we are and it's almost May and yet the owner of that P-51 has failed to make a sale. Logic would dictate that such a desirable limited edition would've sold rather quickly, even at several thousands pounds above its original retail price, but pricing it that high evidently proves that logic false (although, worth mentioning is that the owner has reduced the price a few times since originally posting). And that P-51 isn't a one-off either. Many other LE Bremonts have collected dust and gone unsold for months (or years) because of such profiteering. You say that you'd love to see this practice not infect the Bremont community, but it already has unfortunately. And to be fair so as not to single out Bremont, such profiteering is not limited to the Bremont community. Definitely happens with other brands as well.
    Last edited by Vig2000; 04-26-2018 at 05:10 AM.

Limited Edition Resale Profiteering

Quote Originally Posted by Vig2000 View Post
    Even though your MBI is cool, allow me to directly address the crux of your post: Basically, I couldn't agree more with you. Many will tell you that owners of these special/limited editions are only pricing them according to the market. I don't really buy that since it is profiteering, pure and simple. Case in point: There's a member here whose been trying to sell his P-51 since July of last year. Here we are and it's almost May and yet the owner of that P-51 has failed to make a sale. Logic would dictate that such a desirable limited edition would've sold rather quickly, even at several thousands pounds above its original retail price, but pricing it that high evidently proves that logic false (although, worth mentioning is that the owner has reduced the price a few times since originally posting). And that P-51 isn't a one-off either. Many other LE Bremonts have collected dust and gone unsold for months (or years) because of such profiteering. You say that you'd love to see this practice not infect the Bremont community, but it already has unfortunately. And to be fair so as not to single out Bremont, such profiteering is not limited to the Bremont community. Definitely happens with other brands as well.
    Whilst I agree with your post, would Bremont be where it is today if it wasn't for the early Limited Edition pieces gaining the notoriety they did/have, and thus the associated price increases as a result of increased collectability/desirability? I'd say probably not.

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 04-26-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Whilst I agree with your post, would Bremont be where it is today if it wasn't for the early Limited Edition pieces gaining the notoriety they did/have, and thus the associated price increases as a result of increased collectability/desirability? I'd say probably not.

J.
    Who truly knows what would have become of Bremont had they not released any of their early LE pieces. Would they be where they are today? I don't know if anyone can truly answer that question because who knows what Bremont would have done differently to increase their exposure and notoriety.

But my point is, when an EP120 or P51 takes months or years to sell, that to me puts into question how high such LEs are priced. If they were so desired and collectable, then logic would dictate that such pieces would be snatched up instantly regardless of their price. But they're not. That to me says your Bremont fan is either unable or unwilling to pay such prices, and perhaps pricing these LEs so high should be seriously reconsidered.
    Last edited by Vig2000; 04-26-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post

J.
    I think the answer to that question is most likely yes. Bremont limited edition watches tend to be known by those who know and possibly like and support the brand but are known by very few, if any, people that view the standard collection on the high street or in their local jewellers. I didn't find out about the brand because of its limited edition models, more so that it was manufacturing watches in Britain.

as far as the point about profiteering is concerned, I think that recent events are showing that it's not really possible. Of course some people will try and make a substantial profit on the sale of their watch and why shouldn't they? We do the same for houses. Anything there is a demand for will inevitably increase the value. In Bremonts limited editions case though there isn't enough of a demand to force a substantial increase in value even if some owners attempt to do so. A case in point might be the Wright Flyer. An iconic Bremont watch no doubt but despite being a limited edition, the stainless version is still readily available. That said, the Tag Heuer Monza which is also a 'limited edition' at 4000 units I think, is currently being heavily discounted in a high street jeweller. So Bremont watches don't do too badly.

In reference to the MB1 for £27k., given the reasons that people are allowed to own these, why would someone want to buy one? A similar train of thought to buying an Olympic medal surely or even a Doctorate?

I purchased my Wright Flyer SS two years after the launch and debacle concerning the in-house comments. I paid full price at the AD knowing full well I would take a hit if wanted to sell it after purchase. I still canít believe I own a piece of the first plane to fly, I have spent my whole life in aviation from apprentice mechanic to airline CEO and every other crappy position in between except flight-deck. My WF will go to my son and hopefully to his son and so on. Bremont produce watches that appeal to certain people only so in my humble opinion are not a good trading asset like a Daytona or Speedy etc etc. we are the Jensen Interceptor drivers in a world of Aston Martins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 367-80 View Post
    I still can’t believe I own a piece of the first plane to fly, I have spent my whole life in aviation from apprentice mechanic to airline CEO and every other crappy position in between except flight-deck.
    That certainly appears to be a recurring theme with this particular watch - it seems to be used or desired as a commemoration piece, which is a very nice thing to do.

It's also a good point that you make about the slightly more limited appeal. Unlike the (Rolex) Daytona or (Omega) Speedy though, Bremont is a new brand - give it time, and it may well come.

It's good to see you back 367-80, do stick around.

J.