Thread: Bracelets

Bracelets

I thought it was only the Titanium bracelet that had different/ deeper engaving to the bracelet ends . (Might have to go in the loft and dig out at my Alt1-c SS bracelet).

But while flying with BA over the weekend I noticed in their magazines that the new S300 has the same look. I didn't take a photo of the advertisement however here is a link to a review that shows what I mean.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/bremont...neup-2017/amp/

It has always puzzled me and I think it just looks a little odd. At first I thought it was a QC issue, however 2 years on and new watches still being released with this look, it is obviously meant to be.

My question, why have they decided on this design?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I've got a few bracelets, at least one of each, there all the same. Regardless of the width, material and finish they all have main links made from 5 separate pieces pushed together with solid half links and endlinks. Interestingly the dlc braclets are finished complete, hanging as one piece so when bent on the wrist you can see where the finish has failed to penetrate between the gaps completely ( also make sure you don't loose any screws from the bracelet as you can't get black ones).

The only reason the endlinks look different to the mainlinks is it is alot easier to mill it from a single piece of steel rather than perfectly mill 5 pieces of steel that have to fit together perfectly to match the bracelet. Its the same with the half links, there's too tight a margin between the edges of the link and the centre for it to be built in the same way as the main links so they just cut them out of one piece. The grooves on the solid links seem a little wide but I can imagine the mils minimum cutting bit can only get so small.

Rolex bracelets are made in pretty much the same way but the design hides this a bit better than the bremont design.

What is very clear is that the the 43mm bremonts cases are not designed for bracelets (besides the s500/s200/Tera nova). The spring bar holes are right at the edge of the lugs and that works perfectly for curved leather straps but will always result in a bit of the endlink sticking out. The newer 40mm cases have longer lugs with the pin holes much closer to the barrel and therefore the end links fit near perfectly flush with the case.

I think it would be a good idea for bremont to redesign the main 43mm case to have lugs that will accommodate the bracelets on there next major refresh. They could potentially offer users a replacement bezel with lugs that would fit better with a bracelet when they send there watch in for a service. It would be interesting to know how many people actually have bracelets on there bremonts, I personally have bracelets on four of my watches and the others a mix of canvas, leather and rubber. though 50% of my watches have bracelets I think most people stick to leather and natos and the shorter lugs do look better with these straps. Its interesting to see what they will do next with these. I hand polished the edges of the centre of links on one of my steel bracelets and it makes the bracelet look alot more highend while helping the endlinks blend in better.

Ryan

Bracelets

I always wore Rolex until I purchased a Bremont (because Iím British and like to support British industries). I wore my 16753 on a nato, but mostly the Jubilee bracelet. All my SS Rolexes were on Oysters (and Iíd have preferred one on my 16753 too).

When I moved to Bremont, I was disappointed with the case size and very much miss a 41mm gmt. I also miss my bracelet! Iím not really a strap guy, and I am not a fan of the large case thickness of Bremont watches ó a size which is made worse by wearing the watch on a nato. To be honest, the Bremont buckle actually irritates my wrist a bunch, and I had to put it on a nato.

That said, I currently wear my ALT1 ZT/BK on a nato and have become very fond of it. In fact, so fond that Iím hesitant to switch to the less functional Endurance that Iíve pre-ordered. Iíve ordered the Endurance for two reasons: firstly, who doesnít love the orange!? And secondly, because it comes with a matching bracelet.

What I can tell you is that, were a properly matching bracelet available for the ALT1, then I donít think Iíd switch. Iíve never tried a Bremont on with a bracelet ó and I might be foolish to buy the Endurance just for the titanium bracelet (well, and the orange), but a bracelet is a big deal for me.

Personally, I feel Bremont really need to sharpen their pencil on the bracelet side of things. Iím told that neither the titanium nor the steel brackets come with a comfort link quick extension (which is pretty much de rigueur on most other watches of this caliber), and their steel bracelets are not the same colour as the heat treated SS cases. Having felt one of the steel bracelets, I was also somewhat disappointed in the fit and finish. In short, I think that ó despite pilotsí watches being strap focussed ó Bremont really do need to up their game in the bracelet department.

To be honest, if Tudor had a British connection, Iíd be all over that new Pepsi like a cheap t-shirt.

Here are a few photos of some of my past watches (Iím a one watch guy, so I like one watch that does everything well ó curiously, the new Tudor blue/red GMT is pretty much that watch, but I really do miss the case size of the 16750/3 (the Tudor being 3mm thicker and the Endurance being a full 7mm thicker!): (the Endurance wrist shot is courtesy of Hodinkee) (Tudor photo courtesy of Watch Insider).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shedlock2000; 04-19-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. :smokin::twit::smokin:

SS Submariner no date 1992 (flipped); SS GMT II 2007 (flipped); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (flipped); SS Sub C 2011 (flipped); 16753, '81 TT GMT 'Root Beer'

Haha! Rockin a £4.5k watch in the gym! love it shedlock2000

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

The only reason the endlinks look different to the mainlinks is it is alot easier to mill it from a single piece of steel rather than perfectly mill 5 pieces of steel that have to fit together perfectly to match the bracelet. Its the same with the half links, there's too tight a margin between the edges of the link and the centre for it to be built in the same way as the main links so they just cut them out of one piece. The grooves on the solid links seem a little wide but I can imagine the mils minimum cutting bit can only get so small.

Ryan
    Thank you for taking time to answer. A very good read and informative.

I would have thought with CNC machining they could get alot closer match. Engineers work in thousandth's of a mil. I would have preferred the bracelet to be matching throughout. Just seems bundled together with nearest off the shelf bits.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk