Thread: New MB1

New MB1

I wanted to share pictures of the new MB1 just received by my Squadron-mate, Col. Chuck Schmitz. He ordered his the same day as I ordered my F4 SE and I requested help to get them for us in time for a reunion on Nov. 4. The factory came through in 4 weeks! He got his yesterday and mine ships on Monday.

Great job Bremont! I will take some side-by side shots and post them soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E488297B-33BA-42A5-BF23-9816CF5D9AC8.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	4037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80299064-5B79-456A-81CE-B24A39720990.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	4038  

Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil because the RF-4C is one fast son of a b........

That's great, Spyvito. I hope your Squadron-mate is pleased with the watch, is it his first Bremont?

I'm sure several of us here would be intrigued to hear the story behind this MB1. If either yourself or your friend would (or are allowed to) share, I'm sure that'd be appreciated. It's always fascinating.

J.

I’ll tell what I know, Schmitzel might want to join the forum someday and tell it his way. In the 70s and 80s our squadron, out of Zweibrucken, Germany, had 2 missions; All-weather Day/Night tactical reconnaissance (540kts 200ft) and Long-range stand-off reconnaissance. One mission we had required refueling then proceeding on track. Usually we pushed up to 37000 dragging 3 full externals and a pod.

One early turn on this route required a high angle turn to stay in international airspace. On this day it is suspected a frozen tank created an unstable platform and the aircraft stalled. Recovery started at about 20000 and the airplane then stalled again. Descending uncontrolled through 10000agl, Schmitz initiated ejection from the back seat.

Both crew members safely got into their rafts. Meanwhile, patrol boats were launched to grab the guys. Their wingman saw this and circled at low level about 10 miles away to draw the boats. Then a NATO helicopter picked them up.

The seats worked perfectly.

Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil because the RF-4C is one fast son of a b........