Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake Supermarine S500 Warning.

Fake Supermarine S500 Warning.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I just purchased an S500 off eBay...I know, taking my chances and it didn't work out. It was an unusual dlc S500 so I rolled the dice. Anyway, It was purchased from a guy in Canada, but sent from Hong Kong. I several S500's listed from Hong Kong from different sellers on eBay right now. After I got it the watch looks like the packaging and watch itself are real, but it was gaining somewhere like 30 seconds a day and the day disc was jumping two days for every one, so my flag started to go up. Well, fortunately I have the tools and I took off the back and the faraday cage lid...someone had taken out the COSC 2836 movement and replaced it with a Seagull junk movement, as in the total lowest clone that would fit in there (raw brass garbage). I know that this seller has several of these listed. It is possible that this is a one off deal, but I kind of doubt it. It looks like I am going to get my money back because I don't believe that the seller was in on this, but BEWARE. Who knows how many of these might be floating out there if this is something that is going on right now as a scam, which I suspect it is. If it has a closed case back and you do not know the seller be careful folks.
    MBII-topper
    U2-t
    Wright Flyer
    Some old submariners, Zenith, Blancpain, GO, Omega, Breitling etc...

Hi Christian, this is an unlucky incident, but unfortunately not an isolated one. If you get the chance, some pictures would be appreciated.

I've been aware of these replicas (all appear to be S500s) for a few months, since Giles gave me the heads up. There are a few tell tale giveaways on the watch however, if anyone wants me to do a quick guide on spotting what they are I can do, although I will check with Bremont first as we don't want these scammers to get any better than they already are!

Here's a picture of them taken by Giles, just so everybody can see what we're on about:

Both of the above are replicas. Worrying, eh?

J.

I will take some pics before I return it. You are correct, very worrying. I have owned a real S500 and an Oracle and this one looks right all the way down to the packaging...other than the junk movement of course. A very good reason to stick with a trusted seller/jewelry shop, which is what I will be doing from this point forward. The only think that really looked off to me what that the date window frame was not polished and all the other ones I have seen were and the shock protection had a strong rubber small that is not present in my MBII. It was correct right down to engraving "Bremont" inside the case back.
    MBII-topper
    U2-t
    Wright Flyer
    Some old submariners, Zenith, Blancpain, GO, Omega, Breitling etc...

Dang. Hate that for you, Doc. Jake had shared the above pictures of the S500 replicas that Bremont have in their possession several weeks ago. As you can tell, they look quite good. It's unfortunate that one now has to worry about replica Bremont popping up, but it appears that we are at that point.

Thanks for sharing your story with us!

Jeremy

Crap...... Looks like I just bought a fake Bremont from the same guy Doc. I purchased the Blue Supermarine 2 weeks ago. I have not reviewed mine yet though. Probably will be here in a week.

Couple questions (and please send via DM) - how do I tell if it is fake outside of the movement?

Second- how did you get your money back? PayPal dispute?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----------------------------------------------
    Current Bremont Watch List:
    Bremont P-51, ALT1-C, ALT1-B, AC1, Alt1tude SE

The Other Stuff:
    Rolex, Oak & Oscar, ML Ponto S Diver, Longines, Seiko, G-Shock, Tag Heuer

Yikes! Those replicas look really good...scary good. I have been noticing man S500 listings from Hong Kong, they usually use the same photos.

On the bright side, it seems that Bremont, as a brand, has achieved the level of "worthy of being bootlegged".

I'd be interested to see how they've copied the case, the pics I've seen on eBay seem to be taken straight on.

PayPal dispute open as soon as you can

Bremont U2/51
    Bremont Alt-Z1

That's very bad.

It's a good warning to everyone about them

Thanks for sharing.

Always frustrating and bemusing when fakes start popping up of a brand of watch you own. I remember telling me they had seen some one on holiday selling fake Tags back in about 1987. I couldn't believe it at the time. Rolex yes, Tag no !!

Like Jake says best to keep the tells to ourselves as the forgers definately look to forums as a way of building those tells out of their fakes.
    Also beware of new members saying they just bought one and how can they tell.....forgers again.