Poll: Which Model Suite Me Best?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Bremont and in need of guidance on which watch model.

Cool New to Bremont and in need of guidance on which watch model.

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and new to Bremont. I first came across Bremont at Heathrow airport and was rather taken with the ALT1 ZT-51 (I really liked the vintage lume hands and markers). I am thinking of selling my 16753 root beer to move into a Bremont (I am a one-watch guy). However, I am struggling (hard) to narrow my selection. I am looking for help in this endeavour. Firstly, thought, let me tell you about about myself as this may help you find the right model for me .

I started my career as an officer in R.E.M.E. and then became a service engineer for Mirrlees Blackstone. When they closed up, I became a tipper driver and worked in quarries in the Peak District. During this time, I also turned to agricultural contracting. I owned my own international logistics company for a while before immigrating to Canada (where I still live). I drove trucks here in North America for about 5 years before going back to school to become a medical doctor. That shifted to Philosophy (I am a metaphysician, not a physician), and I am now finishing up my PhD at Helsinki (though I still live in Canada). I've driven trucks in 88 countries and travelled 111; I am a keen river kayaker, camper, and hiker; I am a huge Land Rover enthusiast (with all the drama that brings) and generally passionate about all things British (probably emphasised due to my living abroad). It is for this reason (in part) that I seek to move to Bremont (though some of the reviews and customer care stories I have read on here encourage me to be part of a more closely knit group than that of Rolex et al.). I am rough on my watches, and wear them while splitting wood, working on my Zara (my Disco), and while 'pushing iron' at the gym.

I have owned a Rolex since I was about 21, and have had many. I like to be unusual (my favourite quote, tattooed in Galifreyan on my arm) is from Epictetus (a 4th Century B.C. stoic Philosopher) who (roughly) remarked 'seek always to be the purple thread in a toga; that small part which is bright and makes the rest appear graceful and beautiful'), so my rollie of choice is a vintage root beer with the TT purple dial. I use the GMT function regularly as I travel a lot; I am also betrothed to the date function. I find the GMT by Rolex to be one of the most perfect (for me) watches ever as it can be both dressy and sporty in any occasion; it is large enough to be a statement, but has a low case back which results in a case width of 12mm and fits very well under a shirt sleeve. I regularly 'suit-up' and need something that can rise to any occasion and am a little worried about moving away from a bracelet to a leather strap. I never take my watch off, and so getting it wet is a daily activity (for which I really like the security and resistance of a bracelet over a strap); I also wear my watch a little loose and appreciate the bracelet for that feel and aesthetic. For a while, I tried a nato on my Rollie -- while I liked the feel, I also noted that the nato stretched a bit as a function of getting wet and was not as comfortable as the jubilee. It also left a bit to be desired when worn with a suit. I have a 7 1/3" wrist with a prominent Ulnar Styloid.

To that end, I am struggling to decide whether or not to go with the ALT1 WT/BK, the MBIII OR (GMT), or something else (What stopped me buying the ALT1 ZT-51 was that I didnt think it dressy enough to wear with a suit). I need the watch to be suitable for dressy occasions, tough enough for the knocking associated with splitting wood, to carry as many functions as possible while also being clear and precise, to have excellent lume (I like the lumed Arabic numerals on the MBIII), and yet to carry a hint of 'that purple thread'. As a rule, when guiding my sartorial choices, I usually ask myself 'what would Bond wear' -- this has been, actually, more useful than you might imagine.

Thoughts, experiences, and suggestions please!?

Also, if Bond wore a Bremont, what would he wear (and Supermarine is probably the wrong answer here; Bond may be Navy, but the real Bond would value usability over diving capacity, and would probably value a chrono function over depth rating).

Hi shedlock.

Reading your autobiography makes me realise what a boring old fart I am! And I know a few people on here would agree that I am

Before I reached your choice of watches I was thinking MBlll with all that functionality and massive shock protection.

The harder choice would be what to wear it on but a bracelet/ NATO combo would probably be the most robust.

Whatever you decide on, enjoy one of these fantastic watches.

Welcome to the Forum

David

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Hi shedlock.

Reading your autobiography makes me realise what a boring old fart I am! And I know a few people on here would agree that I am

Before I reached your choice of watches I was thinking MBlll with all that functionality and massive shock protection.

The harder choice would be what to wear it on but a bracelet/ NATO combo would probably be the most robust.

Whatever you decide on, enjoy one of these fantastic watches.

Welcome to the Forum

David
    Thanks for the welcome, David!

I don't think anyone is boring: everyone has interesting experiences -- they just don't always seem like that from the first-person perspective!

Yeah, the MBIII is still high on the list. I am hoping to pop down to Topper's next week (it's a 2500 mile journey, so not much of a 'pop') -- I think Rob has a few things there that I'll try on and select one from the many!
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. :smokin::twit::smokin:

SS Submariner no date 1992 (flipped); SS GMT II 2007 (flipped); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (flipped); SS Sub C 2011 (flipped); 16753, '81 TT GMT 'Root Beer'

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Hi shedlock.

David
    I have heard tell that the bracelet is not heat treated in the same way as the case and that this leads to a colour differential between the case and the bracelet that is quite noticeable. Is this the case? There are a number of photos online, but the photos make it difficult to tell if the issue is shading due to the brushed steel or a general difference in colour of the two.

Have you seen the bracelet on the watch or do you have any clear photos?
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. :smokin::twit::smokin:

SS Submariner no date 1992 (flipped); SS GMT II 2007 (flipped); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (flipped); SS Sub C 2011 (flipped); 16753, '81 TT GMT 'Root Beer'

Quote Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
    I have heard tell that the bracelet is not heat treated in the same way as the case and that this leads to a colour differential between the case and the bracelet that is quite noticeable. Is this the case? There are a number of photos online, but the photos make it difficult to tell if the issue is shading due to the brushed steel or a general difference in colour of the two.

Have you seen the bracelet on the watch or do you have any clear photos?
    I have my MBIII on the bracelet--they're distinctly different colors with the face more 'gunmetal' and the bracelet brighter silver. I rather like the dimensionality of the contrast, but ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Shedlock

I voted for 247 GMT. For you it should most definately be a GMT. The model is tough, dressy enough and can be worn at anytime. The strap doesn't mind getting wet.
    I live in Helsinki so if you want to go for a pint sometime while you are here let me know.

Cheers, Cisse

ALT1-ZT/BK is a personal favourite but the ALT1-WT might work better with a bracelet.

Happy shopping!
    MBII-GN / Rolex GMT Master / Rolex Explorer / Schofield Signalman / Omega Seamaster / Breitling Intruder / Orange Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Cisse View Post
    Hi Shedlock

I voted for 247 GMT. For you it should most definately be a GMT. The model is tough, dressy enough and can be worn at anytime. The strap doesn't mind getting wet.
    I live in Helsinki so if you want to go for a pint sometime while you are here let me know.

Cheers, Cisse
    I'm not residing in Helsinki just yet, Cisse -- but I'll probably be heading over sometime next year to undertake my course seminars and stuff. I will certainly look you up when I get there -- I'll be eager to make contacts while I'm there.

Thanks Geezerbutler! I like the white too -- I have gone with the BK, though -- as my g/f is not a fan of white dials.

Thanks for the input, guys! I called in to see Rob at Topper's while I was down in CA. He found me an ALT1-ZT/BK which I walked away with. I am still getting used to the increase in size from my 16753 and I am disappointed that the GMT hand does not have a larger triangle on it, but I am sure that'll wain.

I am, however, struggling with the bracelet issue (or, more accurately, the lack of one that matches); I never take my watch off and want something a bit more showy for dressy occasions. I am not a fan of the leather straps as they (apparently) don't hold up to water well and the rubber strap felt a bit like it was pulling at my arm hairs. I left with a nato in black -- but I really want something more dressy. Any suggestions?