Thread: What's the America's Cup Story

What's the America's Cup Story

I have noticed that Panerai are now the Official Timing Partner of the Oracle team and that Bremont have been airbrushed out of pics on their site and on the official AC site. What's occurring? I can't find anything online about Bremont being ditched.

Correct. Panerai took over for OTUSA, yet Bremont are still the Americas Cup timing partner.

I asked about this recently, and here is the reply.

Bremont has supported the America’s Cup Event Authority and Oracle Team USA for the duration of the Louis Vuitton America’s Cup World Series. For 2017, Bremont’s focus will be on the development of its America’s Cup range of watches celebrating the wonderful heritage of the event, which began back in 1851 off the South Coast of England. Bremont has thoroughly enjoyed working with Oracle Team USA and is very proud of its Limited Edition OTUSA range of watches. Bremont will be using the technology developed in this range as a springboard for future innovations. Bremont will be launching its new America’s Cup timepieces, to the mark the final of the 35th America’s Cup, over w/c 27th February at the Bremont Townhouse in London.

Something doesn't quite stack

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker9 View Post
    Correct. Panerai took over for OTUSA, yet Bremont are still the Americas Cup timing partner.

I asked about this recently, and here is the reply.

Bremont has supported the America’s Cup Event Authority and Oracle Team USA for the duration of the Louis Vuitton America’s Cup World Series. For 2017, Bremont’s focus will be on the development of its America’s Cup range of watches celebrating the wonderful heritage of the event, which began back in 1851 off the South Coast of England. Bremont has thoroughly enjoyed working with Oracle Team USA and is very proud of its Limited Edition OTUSA range of watches. Bremont will be using the technology developed in this range as a springboard for future innovations. Bremont will be launching its new America’s Cup timepieces, to the mark the final of the 35th America’s Cup, over w/c 27th February at the Bremont Townhouse in London.
    Thanks for the information but having contacted The Event Authority they deny that Bremont continue to be the Official Timing Partner and, as their website also indicates, say that Panerai are the sponsor. They were strangely coy about the whole thing and I am even more confused now than before.
    I have also checked the earlier literature about the sponsorship and it doesn't mention anything about only sponsoring the LV Series...and to be honest, who would. No, there's something more than a little fishy about the whole thing and, as a result, I have decided to go with Panerai. It pains me to do this as I was really excited about a British brand sponsoring the AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Gladys View Post
    Thanks for the information but having contacted The Event Authority they deny that Bremont continue to be the Official Timing Partner and, as their website also indicates, say that Panerai are the sponsor. They were strangely coy about the whole thing and I am even more confused now than before.
    I have also checked the earlier literature about the sponsorship and it doesn't mention anything about only sponsoring the LV Series...and to be honest, who would. No, there's something more than a little fishy about the whole thing and, as a result, I have decided to go with Panerai. It pains me to do this as I was really excited about a British brand sponsoring the AC.
    Well that's interesting and also bizarre in equal measure! Time will tell, I guess.

(Pardon the pun!)

J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully it all gets sorted. I, for one, think the Panerai LE's are hideous. Especially compared to the classic designs that Bremont had in their AC pieces.

ALT1-WT/WH | ALT1-P/BL

All sounds a little cloak and dagger.
    It's a shame if they aren't doing it now as I agree with Stewphil the panerai's are up to much. I flirted with getting one a while back. So glad I didn't tbh.

I like Panerai own two of the classic Luminors (Inc a diver) but then again I own a few Bremonts also - agree that (generally) there are a few manufacturers out there who simply try too hard with their LE's, Panerai are one such. Bremont on the other hand are glorious in their LE offerings

Bremont U2/51
    Bremont Alt-Z1

Just have noticed that Bremont have renamed their formal OTUSA branded watches. Sticking with the Americas Cup partnership and branding from this point on, it appears.

I am sure they will have updated casebacks, as well.