Thread: Salon QP Article on Future Plans For Bremont

Salon QP Article on Future Plans For Bremont

I enjoyed reading this article in Salon QP about future expansion for Bremont. Go give it a read!

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker9 View Post
    I enjoyed reading this article in Salon QP about future expansion for Bremont. Go give it a read!
    For me, this was the most interesting bit:
    ...the first movements designed and created for Bremont by Irish horological whizz Stephen McDonnell. He has been on the job for a couple of years now, and Giles estimates one more full year of his time is still needed. The target is a family of modular complications built around a workhorse base of comparable quality and robustness to the Rolex 3135, but with greater flexibility – oh, and a bespoke geartrain too.
    The 2018 date in the article is probably a bit optimistic but it is looking good.

I had thought the licensed mechanism in the Wright Flyer was going to be the one they would use as a basis for their movements. Has the plan changed to something totally bespoke and more like the Christopher Ward SH-21 idea?

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    The 2018 date in the article is probably a bit optimistic but it is looking good.
    Agree. I'd estimate they could probably be 5 years off. Given the time and money it took the 'big boys' of Breitling and Omega et al to achieve in-house, I think that's a more than fair time estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    I had thought the licensed mechanism in the Wright Flyer was going to be the one they would use as a basis for their movements. Has the plan changed to something totally bespoke and more like the Christopher Ward SH-21 idea?
    Well, that movement wasn't ever 'in-house' - it was built in collaboration with LJP for the Wright Flyer. That and this 'in-house' Bremont movement are two different things. Whilst both are, and will be, achievements, one is very much a bigger deal than the other both for Bremont and the wider watch community.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Well, that movement wasn't ever 'in-house' - it was built in collaboration with LJP for the Wright Flyer.
    J.
    Thanks for the clarification. Based on what I had read I had thought the idea was they would license the design and gradually make it all themselves.

Was the reason that a non ETA movement was chosen due to the expense of the watch? It seems odd to have done that just for a one off but I suppose it makes the Wright Flyer more prestigious than having a modified off the shelf movement. Was the movement larger so it was able to be thinner and indeed is that the plan with the new movements? Most Bremont cases are much bigger than the movement itself. Using a wider diameter would allow a thinner movement and so a thinner case. The main complaint I hear from others about Bremont watches is that the height of the case makes them harder to wear.