Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A monumental U2 faux pas?

A monumental U2 faux pas?

Morning all,

It's been a while, how's it been?

So, a question for you. As some of you may recall (I don't blame you if you don't!), I'm a bit of a sweaty beast and I've pretty much ruined my leather, NATO, and Temple Island straps for my U2 SS. I was interested when the Brothers introduced a metal bracelet for the U2 / MB series as 1) I like bracelets on watches, and 2) a bracelet isn't as sweat-averse as leather or fabric.

But.

Is a metal bracelet really right on a U2? I've been wrestling with this for a while now - ever since the bracelet was introduced - and I'm just not sure. Problem is, I've started wearing my Oris Diver basher more than my U2 becasue of the "natural" strap issue. So, any thought folks? U2 - To bracelet or not to bracelet, that is the question....
    Bremont U2 SS
    Omega Speedmaster Pro
    Oris TT1 Divers - white dial / blue bezel
    Suunto Traverse

Turbo, in my personal opinion, the MB and U2 series look fantastic on bracelets - go for it! Just be aware that a few people who wear them/wore them on bracelets for extended periods complained about the end links and/or bracelet rubbing the barrel. Nothing that cannot be rectified easily by HQ, but a 'problem' some could do without!

If you decide to go for it, do post some pictures as you don't see many on bracelets. I'm currently toying with the idea of a bracelet for my S500, but I'm being indecisive as I really do like the look and feel of the S500 on the rubber with deployment clasp. Hmm....

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 09-13-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Got to love the feeeeeel of rubber hmmmmm

Oops sorry wrong forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bremont U2/51
    Bremont Alt-Z1

Quote Originally Posted by thebounder View Post
    Got to love the feeeeeel of rubber hmmmmm

Oops sorry wrong forum

Not sure whether to ban you for that or not.......

Just kiddin'

J.

😋😁

Bremont U2/51
    Bremont Alt-Z1

A monumental U2 faux pas?

Did anyone see on eBay recently the red star U2 offered on a dlc bracelet
    Looks good

Last edited by thebounder; 09-13-2016 at 11:31 AM.
    Bremont U2/51
    Bremont Alt-Z1

Great question. But I must first ask about the Temple Island strap. In what way did it not hold up? I've found that I prefer my DLC Alt1tude SE on the black TI strap most of the time over other straps. It looks incredible and holds up to the elements very well from what I've experienced.

I think the DLC bracelet is a decent option. I assume you've already tried nylon, via a standard NATO or a GGB strap? They are washable at least?

The bracelet is definitely an investment, and some folks I've talked to definitley prefer a strap to a bracelet on the MB/U2 chassis, but it does seem like a solution that would get the job done! I've noticed that the military division really utilizes the bracelets, so I've gotten used to seeing them at this point, and think it would look solid!

Let us know what you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by thebounder View Post
    Did anyone see on eBay recently the red star U2 offered on a dlc bracelet
    Looks good

God, that's gorgeous
    Bremont U2 SS
    Omega Speedmaster Pro
    Suunto Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Turbo, in my personal opinion, the MB and U2 series look fantastic on bracelets - go for it! Just be aware that a few people who wear them/wore them on bracelets for extended periods complained about the end links and/or bracelet rubbing the barrel. Nothing that cannot be rectified easily by HQ, but a 'problem' some could do without!

If you decide to go for it, do post some pictures as you don't see many on bracelets. I'm currently toying with the idea of a bracelet for my S500, but I'm being indecisive as I really do like the look and feel of the S500 on the rubber with deployment clasp. Hmm....

J.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalker9 View Post
    Great question. But I must first ask about the Temple Island strap. In what way did it not hold up? I've found that I prefer my DLC Alt1tude SE on the black TI strap most of the time over other straps. It looks incredible and holds up to the elements very well from what I've experienced.

I think the DLC bracelet is a decent option. I assume you've already tried nylon, via a standard NATO or a GGB strap? They are washable at least?

The bracelet is definitely an investment, and some folks I've talked to definitley prefer a strap to a bracelet on the MB/U2 chassis, but it does seem like a solution that would get the job done! I've noticed that the military division really utilizes the bracelets, so I've gotten used to seeing them at this point, and think it would look solid!

Let us know what you decide.
    Without going into too many personal details, it's started to smell. Even regular cleaning in hot water with Fairy liquid and a good old scrub only keeps it fresh for a couple of days. I also find the recessed Bremont writing / logo is a haven for trapping dirt and grease from my wrist which doesn't help. I've also gone through the same with the original leather and NATO straps. I don't know if a third party NATO (say, GGB or similar) would be any better?

Regarding the bracelet, I heard that the early models (i.e. ones not really designed for MB / U2s) damaged the barrel, but I think the bracelets specifically designed for MB / U2 versions have cured that problem. I really like my U2 on a NATO as it holds true to the original U2 design made for the lads at 9th Recce Wing at Beale, but as you say many military folk are now favouring the bracelet on MB / U2 special editions and it does look good....I need to have a think but I'm seriously tempted.
    Bremont U2 SS
    Omega Speedmaster Pro
    Suunto Traverse

Over on the Christopher Ward form, "Downer" has written some excellent rules on collecting watches... at number 10 is 'Always buy on the bracelet' because they are usually much more expensive to buy separately afterwards. That's a good one for me as I'd love now to try my 'c on a bracelet but find them too expensive (for which I mean can't currently afford) compared to a new leather or NATO strap. 'The thrill is in the hunt' is another excellent rule!!