Thread: Detached oscillating weight on U2 Blue!

Detached oscillating weight on U2 Blue!

My U2 Blue's oscillating weight has come off it's pivot. I have just taken it back to the City of London boutique. It's still within it's 3 yr warranty. The staff didn't seem very concerned at the event which given the price paid for the watch and the fact that it is meant to be able to withstand an aircraft ejection was rather disappointing. Has anyone else suffered such an occurrence with a Bremont watch and if so how was it handled by Bremont?
    Cheers Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Peter, sorry to hear about this! It's not the first time that I've heard of a rotor popping off, but its also not a common occurrence. The boutique will certainly get it back for a proper service and make things right for you. Unfortunately, mechanical objects do have failures, and we certainly expect them to happen rarely when paying for a premium luxury good, but hopefully this is a one time failure for your U2. Keep us posted with what happens with your watch!
    Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker9 View Post
    Hey Peter, sorry to hear about this! It's not the first time that I've heard of a rotor popping off, but its also not a common occurrence. The boutique will certainly get it back for a proper service and make things right for you. Unfortunately, mechanical objects do have failures, and we certainly expect them to happen rarely when paying for a premium luxury good, but hopefully this is a one time failure for your U2. Keep us posted with what happens with your watch!
    Jeremy
    Totally agree with this, Jeremy.

Peter - you're in safe hands. Bremont Customer Service is regarded in watch circles as one of the best in the business, often going the extra mile (or two!) for customers to get issues resolved.

Out of curiosity, Peter, what event(s) led to the rotor popping off? It's not common, but as Jeremy says, we've heard of it happening.

J.

The 'event' was attending a football match and clapping lots for my team! Hardly equivalent to aircraft ejection

I'll have to differ with the above opinions and offer that this problem does appear to be quite common. One Bremont belonging to a friend and colleague had the rotor detach three times. That's the worst case but I know of three others who've experienced rotor detachments as well. Knock on wood I haven't had that particular issue on any of mine.

It's a nuisance but will be fixed promptly by the company (cross fingers not needed multiple times). Despite their excellent customer service this is another mechanical issue that shouldn't be happening in the first place. Good luck!
    Last edited by vipereaper30; 08-18-2016 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
    I'll have to differ with the above opinions and offer that this problem does appear to be quite common. One Bremont belonging to a friend and colleague had the rotor detach three times. That's the worst case but I know of three others who've experienced rotor detachments as well. Knock on wood I haven't had that particular issue on any of mine.

It's a nuisance but will be fixed promptly by the company (cross fingers not needed multiple times). Despite their excellent customer service this is another mechanical issue that shouldn't be happening in the first place. Good luck!
    The only ones I can recall seeing were the 'dodgy batch' of (IIRC) rotor mountings that escaped QC - a few of which were used on the Alt1tude SE (Andy's watch springs to mind here..) Outside of that, I know of very few other cases of it occurring. But, like you say Pat, that doesn't mean to say it doesn't or hasn't happened.

Hope you're well.
    J.

Quote Originally Posted by pnealesmith View Post
    The 'event' was attending a football match and clapping lots for my team! Hardly equivalent to aircraft ejection

Hah hah that happened to my Alt1tude while watching preston last season . I dont clap that often . My worry is i own 3 other bremonts that are all worn in rotation with other makes. Lets say i wouldnt be overly happy if i have another drops off and outside of warranty. Ive own an omega for over 10yrs that i wear for everything, not even loosing time yet, let alone things falling off.
    Good luck with repair

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andyg156; 08-18-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Well two and a half weeks later and I have heard absolutely nothing from Bremont - not exactly premium service eh?

Quote Originally Posted by pnealesmith View Post
    Well two and a half weeks later and I have heard absolutely nothing from Bremont - not exactly premium service eh?

You've not heard anything since you popped it in to the boutique, you mean?

Whilst it may seem like a long time, patience is the key - 2 and a half weeks without contact is not unusual, and it is certainly a small amount of time for the watch world. Other companies can run to 8-12 week turnarounds for jobs like this, although I'd expect under half of that from Bremont as a guide, as warranty cases are generally handled as a priority case by the team at HQ.

J.

I read this thread months ago, and thought, "my U2 blue's fine" and then would you believe it, the rotor came loose this evening. Dear Royal Exchange boutique, I will be in tomorrow!
    Bremont Wrightflyer
    Bremont P51
    Bremont U2 Blue
    Vintage Brietling Navitimer
    Vintage Rolex Sub red
    IWC portugese
    Orolog