Thread: Inspired?

Inspired?

Hey guys,

Was cruising through the Instagram account and happened upon a friend showing off his new Lum-Tec B33 GMT. It's a great looking watch, but instantly reminded me of another one...

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by jwalker9; 07-16-2016 at 09:55 PM.

Similar watches but I think that can be said for a lot of them in some form.
    Not knowing much about the other one I assume it isn't supposed to be a homage to the P51.
    How much is it ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I look at them, I notice that the lume color, numeral font, hour markers, and inner ring GMT design/color/numbers are the exact same between the two watches. For me, it definitely seems like the P-51 was in mind when the watch was designed!

The LumTec is an aviation inspired quartz watch for $490. Only 200 made.
    Last edited by jwalker9; 07-17-2016 at 12:23 PM.

I believe the P51 watch took its design from an 8 day clock fitted in a Mustang P51. They are very similar. J

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker9 View Post
    When I look at them, I notice that the lume color, numeral font, hour markers, and inner ring GMT design/color/numbers are the exact same between the two watches. For me, it definitely seems like the P-51 was in mind when the watch was designed!
    They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

If you look at other brands that have watches 'copied' and the brands that copy them, for example; Invicta and the Rolex Submariner/Daytona, Parnis and the Panerai Marina Militare, Rotary and the Breitling Navitimer and Alpha and the Omega Planet Ocean/Seamaster, I'd say it's a good thing that Bremont influence is being seen in other pieces. I believe it means they're doing something right and it's worth companies time copying or hinting at the look or design of the piece.

As for whether this piece looks like the P51? It certainly seems to have some hints from the watch, but like Prestjoh says, that may just be from the fact they're both based on the clock and other instruments found in the 'stang. Who knows?

J.

As a matter of interest, being a Panerai fan also, I did a quick google of Parnis watches.
    Good lord, really?
    Hardly inspired I'd say, more like complete knock-offs. Panerai, Rolex, IWC, nothing is off limits clearly.
    At least Lum-Tec are creating a design....
    Vent over

I take it that was the first time you have encountered Parnis watches then Sako !! They are homage watches but would pass for the real thing if you saw someone walk past you with it on their wrist.

Have a look at Steinhart watches as well. They do similar homage style watches but they are a watch manufacturer in their own right. The submariner copy is unbelievable and the quality is immense for the money. In fact it normally pops up in any discussion for the best dive watch under 500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes your right Shaky, never looked at them before.
    I also checked out the Steinhart's. Only models that impressed me was the B-uhr range, but I'd get a Laco before the Steinhart.