Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Failed deployant again

How about this one Steve? I think it'd look good - just the right amount of orange! And, best of all, it's a Bremont strap!

You can find it here: Leather Strap - Black/Orange.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by scwheeler View Post
    I thought I'd give a quick update.

The watch has been in for inspection and Bremont are going to replace the deployant with the newer and hopefully stronger type. Regarding the ding, I'm going to to service the watch with a gesture of goodwill from the company. It probably is time to service the watch although I wasn't planning to just yet.

All in, I must say I feel Bremont customer service has come through again. There aren't many companies that you can deal with a person and Emma has been most helpful.

Just the wait now, roll on 6 weeks......
    That's great to hear, if I'm reading you correctly, Bremont is covering the cost of the service? ....that is Awesome!

I had a spring bar break on an Oris many years ago and the watch fell onto a stove while I was cooking. It left a nasty ding and chipped the acrylic crystal a little bit. The watch was 6 months old and they deemed that was negligence, it wasn't until days of back and forth they finally agreed to send me a free set of spring bars but refused to polish the watch or replace the plastic crystal. They said the spring bars failed and they replaced it under warranty but everything else was my fault. A month later the SW200 movement seized up and they said it was due to the drop and the service cost would not be under warranty.

I ended up giving the watch to my watchmaker and traded it for a service on my Rolex instead...LOL.

It's sad because they have come up with some pretty cool pieces in recent years but I am always reminded of that experience and I'll probably never buy another Oris again.

That was also the Misses favourite strap Jake, I think I'll have to get one. Plus probably an orange stitch GGB too, if fact I might place an order for that now. I think there is a AD in Guildford that had all the straps in the window I might head down there.

Garrettghu, that's poor form from Oris and these days sadly does seem to be the normal approach with a lot of companies. It's such a shame the rules were changed unfavourably around the small claims court procedure as that used to remind a lot of companies of their obligations. Bremont didn't cover the full cost of the service but did put something towards it which seemed a reasonable compromise given that it was about due a service and probably covered the cost of replacing the bezel.

I do think premium products/service do have to offer premium service though, particularly if they want to keep customers as there's a lot of competition out there. Having said that if/when Bremont release another watch which ticks the boxes for me I would not hesitate to purchase one.
    Last edited by scwheeler; 05-13-2016 at 07:07 PM.

That was also the Misses favourite strap Jake, I think I'll have to get one. Plus probably an orange stitch GGB too, if fact I might place an order for that now. I think there is a AD in Guildford that had all the straps in the window I might head down there.
    Great minds, eh?

Bremont didn't cover the full cost of the service but did put something towards it which seemed a reasonable compromise given that it was about due a service and probably covered the cost of replacing the bezel.

I do think premium products/service do have to offer premium service though, particularly if they want to keep customers as there's a lot of competition out there. Having said that if/when Bremont release another watch which ticks the boxes for me I would not hesitate to purchase one.
    Agreed. Bremont didn't even have to put something towards it - that still speaks volumes about their willingness to help and the quality of the CS. Compared to when I had a very similar incident with my Seamaster Pro, Bremont have excelled here. When the clasp gave way due to a fault with a spring bar that holds it together - one that was recently repaired by Omega - I got very much the 'tough luck' reply. I had it repaired (new bezel, crystal etc..) and sold it shortly after...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when the watch returns with the new strap, that's for sure!

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Great minds, eh?

Agreed. Bremont didn't even have to put something towards it - that still speaks volumes about their willingness to help and the quality of the CS. Compared to when I had a very similar incident with my Seamaster Pro, Bremont have excelled here. When the clasp gave way due to a fault with a spring bar that holds it together - one that was recently repaired by Omega - I got very much the 'tough luck' reply. I had it repaired (new bezel, crystal etc..) and sold it shortly after...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when the watch returns with the new strap, that's for sure!

J.
    I agree, Bremont didn't have to at all but they did and treated you fairly.

Sorry guys I expect more from Bremont and don't see how they should be getting praise here.

The watch was damaged because the clasp failed because of a faulty design that Bremont has known about for some time. Should have been fixed for free.

Glad Steve is pleased with the arrangement though.

Quote Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
    Sorry guys I expect more from Bremont and don't see how they should be getting praise here.

The watch was damaged because the clasp failed because of a faulty design that Bremont has known about for some time. Should have been fixed for free.

Point taken, Viper.

Steve: which part of your clasp broke? Curious to as whether it is the same 'bit' that broke on mine, but was quickly sorted. Luckily it broke when I was changing straps, rather than on the wrist!

J.

Jake it was the small screw that secures the 2 bars which hold the strap in place that failed. As pictures paint a thousand words, picture 2 on the first page highlights the problem with the left side of the screw missing.

Even without the weak screw it seemed less then ideal as the bars were forever working loose. In fact when it fell off I was concerned I had perhaps forgotten to tighten them recently until I saw the sheared screw.

That's interesting Steve. Both pictures of the parts that have failed are different to the bit of mine that broke - saying that, it was just a spring-bar, so may have been a coincidence that it failed. Most interesting.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post

It's all relative, if it's a known issue with something like a vehicle then yes a recall needs to happen but I don't know of any watch company that will cover damage to the watch itself because the clasp failed. In fact I believe clasps and buckles are generally not included in warranties as they are viewed as straps and are subject to wear and tear. I had a friend who bought a G.O. Senator by my recommendation and his deployment buckle failed within 3 months, they refused to offer a replacement and the AD said they might be able to fix it...it wasn't until after a few complaints the AD got a replacement for him but I think they just ate the cost. G.O. said the clasp was not covered.

The fact that Bremont offered a replacement of the clasp and offered to cover some of the overhaul cost is exemplary among others.

If you blew out a tire due to a defect after 50% wear, you would get credit for 50% of the tire, not a brand new one.

The watch was close to it's service interval so it has been a few years of use so the fact that they offered a prorate is not heard of.

Just my thoughts.