Thread: A question of size....

A question of size....

This is something that I hear quite a few times. People saying Bremont's are just a bit too small.

I think this mainly comes from people used to wearing big chunky 44-47mm watches (i.e. Panerai)

Personally I think they've got the size right, and would not want to see any bigger watches - in fact I like the S1 / F1s as they still wear nice - I'd almost want to see a thinner dress watch than say a 45-47mm bremont!

The SOLOs / MBIIs / and BC-S2s are nice also because they are big (43mm) but quite thin heights.

What does everyone else think?...Should Bremont produce 45-47mm watches or are large watches just a fad / fashion. Equally, over time will 43mm seem to big and the trend get smaller and smaller for 35-40mm watches....

Noooooo! Definately not a bigger watch. 47mm for a Bremont would be just too big and would not be at all in the Bremont style. I think a max of 44mm is right and the 43mm models are the perfect size. Would you want to see a Premiership footballer wearing a 47mm Bremont?! I wouldn't!

If anything I think there is a trend to move away from big watches and slimmer, smaller cases are becoming more desirable. As you say, I think Bremont have covered this off with the SOLO and the original F1 models.

The oversized watch market is covered with TW Steel etc.

Id love to see a bigger style Bremont....but... think the 43mm case size is perfect for the intended job it was set out to do...

Take the IWC Big Pilot @ 46+mm. Its legibility was billiant for pilots and professionals alike, but still retained a slimmer case profile to ensure it was comfortable to wear under or over a flying suit..

A bigger watch case has its benefits aswell as its downfalls. Somewhere in the middle between 40-44mm retains style and function without being too show off..

If Bremont was to incorporate a larger case size, i think the complications should be kept to a minimum and keep things simple

SJ

I would definatley say yes to bigger , 46mm should do it

That's a powerful argument (and a couple of beautiful watches!)

Rich

Absolutely beautiful Watches!! I'd love both of them in my collection..

I think a 46mm would be a nice addition to the Bremont lineup

I think less is more in size. Oversized watches can be a tacky look which Bremont are certainly not. Downsizing is the way to go if anything, including height depth and overall chunkiness I feel. What about a 41 mm case... With a wrist size of 6.5 mm my current watch, an Archimede Outdoor, diameter 38.8mm without any clunky bezel or too big a crown looks just about right, so, go on Bremont, give us a mid size Solo..meanwhile I’ll ponder on which other one I could get away with.
    best
    angus
    Last edited by Afhgus; 11-11-2011 at 06:18 PM.

As someone who's wrist is 8.25-8.5" and who usually needs to duck to go through doorways, I find that a 46 mm watch is just about perfect for me. I would like to see Bremont come out with larger watches, although I'm not holding out hope that it will happen any time soon.

I personally don't care for overly thick watches. I have some manual wind watches around 10 mm and I believe that most of the others are around 12-14 mm thick. Much thicker than that and I have problems with them fitting under shirt cuffs. It's not the diameter that causes problems but the thickness.

The smallest watch that I own is my Bremont Solo. I've even flipped 44 mm watches because they looked a bit small too me. Bremont could use the larger Valgranges movement and keep the proportions identical to their current watches but in a 46-47 mm case. The Valgranges has a larger date wheel so the dials could be somewhat larger and still look similar. A 46 mm Solo would be perfect!

But I do like my Solo and it's been on my wrist pretty much 24/7 for the last few months. I suspect that a Solo on my wrist looks similar to a 39 mm IWC Mark XVI on most people's wrists.