Thread: Competition for Karl

Competition for Karl

Gents,

I love my Desert and green straps but my Black straps are crap. It may be the velcro but I'm not sure. I've reached out to Carl and he doesn't care. Being in San Francisco I can copy Carl's straps in an afternoon. Is there any interest in a sub $10 dollar velcro strap? I have an old Chinese woman who can do them and they look and feel identical to Carl, leather and all?.

What's the problem with the black straps?

If there is an issue - surely Bremont are the ones to talk to, not Carl?
    web: the #watchnerd (www.thewatchnerd.co.uk)
    Twitter / IG: @thewatchnerd.co.uk

The more I thought, the more I wondered and the more confused I became.

I guess the resounding question is what does Bremont say? They are the distributors of the product and they hold the warranty (if it exists)

When I get upset (yes a shocker) with my Land Rover when the engine starts eating oil, what do I do? Well one choice is to call BMW the engine manufacturer and get them to fix the engine. Havent tried this approach but I doubt it will work efficiently. Generally I take it to the dealership as they are the final approval and quality control (theoretically they should be, I mean its their name on there not anyone elses).

Side note I also did some retesting over the weekend of both (desert and black) straps.....and have a question. Does your black strap wear that differently?
    Last edited by valdarrant; 10-24-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Sorry, but I point blank refuse to believe that Carl doesn't care. He isn't allowed to modify the straps he makes for Bremont without going through them, if you are openly advocating that the designs are copied to draw sales away from him/Bremont then frankly you go down in my estimation.

This is a guy who has always strived to help others in the watch world and also does this as sideline, given that he creates prosthetic limbs for injured service personnel.

I second that, Carl has always been very customer oriented and strives for a quality product! I do know he has been under great pressure do the grave illness of his mother! He has gotten way behind in answering his e-mails and I am sure some have just been lost during this time! This is not due to a lack of care but an overload of work! He is a one man show providing quality straps all over the world so you can do the math! BREMONT is in a class by itself when it comes to CS so I would just send the straps back to them and they will address your concern! I have always thought it best to support a small business with an original quality product than copy their idea and under cut them! Trapped Wind don't give up on Carl he is worth the wait! Cheers Jim!!!
    Breitling Navitimer, Omega PO, Rolex Datejust,Platinum Yacht Master ,Rado Sinatra, Bremont MB1,S500 Supermarine, Blue ALT1-P, 37 & 43 White Solos ,Bronze MBIII, White Boeing Model 1, F-16 Viper DLC Blue, and the Wright Flyer! Speake-Marin Wing Commander

Now everybody comes out of the woodwork! I still haven't heard from Carl and I don't have the time but somebody will do this if service and support isn't better. It took me 10 minutes to find somebody on elance and odesk and I can buy the ribbon and velcro for next to nothing. I'll get in touch with Bremont as suggested.

As always thanks Gents. Sorry to get everybody worked up.

Vald,

Yes, my blacks straps are terrible and I have 3 or 4 of them at £55 or $100 each which is why I'm a wee bit aggravated. I have literally tried everything and they're totally uncomfortable. I've gone so far as to show them to my friends to see if I'm crazy and universally the answer is no. As Capt has said elsewhere when I've complained the velcro is totally different and it effects the band completely. I have no interest in taking the business of an honorable man who helps people with disabilities and I have no desire to make any money off this. I just want a black band that doesn't feel like crap. I will happily send my three or four bands to somebody to look at but I have no idea who?

Howdy, guess I'll chime in here as well. I'm James, the other half of the BadgerBones partnership with Carl. For a period of several weeks recent he has beena largely offline as his mother passed away. So he's had his hands full with family affairs as I'm sure you can imagine. Now to cut straight to business here, what was the issue with your straps? And if you just say they are crap, I'll bonk yer knuckles with a yardstick Was there an issue with the Velcro not functioning? Or the material made it less than comfortable for you?

Let me know, and we'll get you sorted. I'm in contact with Carl almost daily.

Now that being said...yes you can clearly just take one of Carls Bremont straps and copy it to a certain extent. While your at it, give Nick and Giles a ring and ask to photocopy their watch blueprints so you can fire them off to China and have some $5 copies made that are exactly as good? Obviously not

What makes carls straps expensive (BadgerBones as well) is that every single strap is handmade by someone with 25 years experience working with pilot gear for the Royal Air Force. No outsourcing, no reverse engineering. No shortcuts. Ever.

But anyhow Carl is back in action now, and I promise to bonk him on the head about answering emails
    Last edited by blackbadger; 10-29-2011 at 07:36 AM.

@ Trapped wind. Pm sent.