Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New versus Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    GMT Master & GMT Master II prices are skyrocketing at the moment, so now probably isn't the best time to buy unless you can get a good deal privately. A 1675 or a 5512 (if you prefer a Submariner) are what I'd be going for.

J.
    Just to point out that Rolex RRP's haven't changed in the UK since October 2012, so perhaps it is a good time to consider new as that hold in prices won't last forever.

Personally I prefer new - the new GMTll is my favourite watch in the range. I like the GMT function and I don't dive so it wins over the Sub for that reason. Externally the ceramic bezel and squared up case with bigger lugs has made the watch look beefier, and the bracelet and clasp has improved over time too. Internally new materials for major components and improved lubricants now mean that Rolex suggest a 10 year service interval as opposed to 3-4 years on the old models. That alone gives you a saving of around 900 in the 10 year period. New watches also benefit from a 5 year warranty since July.

You also have to watch out for non original dials and hands on vintage, as these may have been replaced over time when serviced or if damaged. This can adversely affect the value and veracity of the watch.

The bottom line is that it is your choice - at least you can have a Pepsi bezel on a vintage!

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Just to point out that Rolex RRP's haven't changed in the UK since October 2012, so perhaps it is a good time to consider new as that hold in prices won't last forever.
    I wasn't referring to new, purely vintage. But yes, good point.

J.