Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laco anyone?

Laco anyone?

Hi all,

I've been looking at the many options for the next purchase.....Bremont model 1, Omega, this list goes on and on.
    One thing I know is that I'm not in the position right now for the next Bremont to compliment the MBII.

I love the simplicity of the Classic Aviator. The Solo is what got me introduced to Bremont, but in the end I went the MBII.
    The Laco range has me very interested. Classic Aviator styling, great history, and very affordable.
    There are other similar watches out there but I keep coming back to the Laco.....

The Flieger type A Augsburg has my interest.
    I believe it uses the Citizen based Miyota movement, which I would think is ok (?).
    I haven't quite got to investigate the differences in the similar looking type A models, but for the price it does appear to fit the budget, and looks very nice.

Unfortunately there are no Australian distributors for the Laco, so an international purchase is required or I can get one of my regular travelling friends to grab one for me next time he is OS.

Any thoughts, info or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.....
    Last edited by Sako; 11-27-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Typo

Hi Sako, there is nothing wrong at all with a Laco - I like them very much. There isn't anything wrong with a Miyota movement either, they are widely used and suit the price point of the watch well. However, personally I'd hold out, save, and get the Bremont when you're able. I'm sure you won't regret it in the end.

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 11-27-2015 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Spelling.

I did the same thing with a Type B Laco picking one up sight unseen (other than internet pics). Upon unboxing it was a total let down for me because the watch felt and looked cheap. I had previously owned a Glashutte Original senator navigator (type b) so maybe I just had overly high expectations.

I don't want to steer you away from Laco, just warn you that you may have a similar experience to me and the watch could be a quick flip!

Quote Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
    Upon unboxing it was a total let down for me because the watch felt and looked cheap.
    Was it just the look/feel, or was it QC as well? I've always thought they had quite a good reputation.

J.

I didn't see any QC issues it came down to fit and finish. The movement was noisy and the lack of AR on the crystal could have been a big reason why it looked cheap on the wrist. They look better in pictures, similar to Sinn, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
    I didn't see any QC issues it came down to fit and finish. The movement was noisy and the lack of AR on the crystal could have been a big reason why it looked cheap on the wrist. They look better in pictures, similar to Sinn, IMHO.
    I had the chance to handle a Laco in a store in Hong Kong many years ago and it felt a bit on the flimsy side, the crown had a lot of play and wobbled just a bit too much. They also had a 2x markup as a HK retail price which further turned me off, however if it was priced closer to US retails then maybe? I too love the B Uhr dials and like you I picked up the GO Navigator and I still have it. Great watch and so far the king of B Uhr style watches as far as fit and finish with the stunning cal.100. But then again, it's also the most expensive I have seen at $7000+ retail.

I might also add you suggested Sinn as photogenic, on the contrary I find them excellent and actually look better in the metal. Then again I am biased as I currently own 12 Sinn peices, all but 2 are from the EZM series which you should check out...they are awesom and the toughest watches I have come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrettghu View Post

I might also add you suggested Sinn as photogenic, on the contrary I find them excellent and actually look better in the metal. Then again I am biased as I currently own 12 Sinn peices, all but 2 are from the EZM series which you should check out...they are awesom and the toughest watches I have come across.
    Sinn are odd, in my opinion. Everything about them says that I shouldn't like them, but I can't help but be drawn to them - especially the EZM 9. So many watches, too little time!

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Sinn are odd, in my opinion. Everything about them says that I shouldn't like them, but I can't help but be drawn to them - especially the EZM 9. So many watches, too little time!

J.
    If you had all the watches , surely you have got plenty of "Time"

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    If you had all the watches , surely you have got plenty of "Time"
    If I could 'like' that, I would.

J.

Thanks for the input guys.

I appreciate the view of holding out and getting the next Bremont however a purchase of this size should not hinder that future purchase. Plus the Type A design appeals to me greatly and would look great in a collection along side a MBII and Model 1!

I have been looking at the other models and would definitely consider an upgraded model.
    I love the blue finish to the hands which the Augsburg does not have.
    Good thing is I'm not not in a rush for this and will continue to research the various offerings.
    I am pretty sure that at the price point for these watches they would tend the "feel" cheaper than any Bremont would, so my expectations are not at the top of the bar.

Ultimately, I love the look, it has old world classic styling with a history.
    If I can pick that up for a fraction of the cost of a model 1 I'll have another piece in the collection and another choice of what to wear for the day.
    And that's a good thing.

Love the input folks, keep it coming.
    Cheers.....