Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right or left wrist?!

Right or left wrist?!

So this is a bit random - I'm right-handed and have always worn a watch on my left wrist with the dial on top of my wrist.

I never understood why some people have the watch on the palm-side of the wrist as it looked odd to me.

An ex-army friend of mine explained recently that he wears his that way as in his army days when using a firearm it meant he didn't need to turn his wrist round when his left hand was holding the front of the firearm as the inside of his wrist would be facing him and he could see the time without compromising his position and now on civvy street the habit stuck.

There are people I know who have never been in the forces and still wear it on the underside of the wrist as well.

So, how do you wear yours?

See, random!

When I was a boy jeweller I was told that the mechanisms were "balanced" to be worn on the outside of the left wrist or inside right.

I don't know whether this is fact or myth, but it's an interesting question.

Like you I am right handed and wear my watch as you do. My dad however always used to wear his watch in a similar manner to your ex army friend, he explained it many years ago as a throwback to his WW2 flying days when he held the control yoke in his left hand and could tell the time without turning his wrist. It has never given me any problem, perhaps it was a fashion back then?

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray02 View Post
    Like you I am right handed and wear my watch as you do. My dad however always used to wear his watch in a similar manner to your ex army friend, he explained it many years ago as a throwback to his WW2 flying days when he held the control yoke in his left hand and could tell the time without turning his wrist. It has never given me any problem, perhaps it was a fashion back then?

Gavin
    I am the same too, right handed, but wear my watch on the left.
    Interesting you should mention the flying thing - I know some experienced chaps who say the same as your father. I can certainly see the benefits - even in a Cessna!

J.

I am left handed and wear my watches on the left hand outside! This makes it easy to operate the stem for winding and hacking! Most the aircraft I have flown have clocks that were hacked with my watch that was set during briefing. This was done so everyone was on the same time! I think there is no right or wrong way today as long as you have it on so others can enjoy your choice of timepiece and start a conversation and maybe find a new friend! Cheers Jim.
    Breitling Navitimer, Omega PO, Rolex Datejust,Platinum Yacht Master ,Rado Sinatra, Bremont MB1,S500 Supermarine, Blue ALT1-P, 37 & 43 White Solos ,Bronze MBIII, White Boeing Model 1, F-16 Viper DLC Blue, and the Wright Flyer! Speake-Marin Wing Commander

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLeslie View Post
    Most the aircraft I have flown have clocks that were hacked with my watch that was set during briefing. This was done so everyone was on the same time!
    The clocks in the aircraft I fly regularly are either wrong or have 'INOP' over the top. You must've been spoilt, Jim!

J.

I am left handed and wear my watches on the left hand outside! This makes it easy to operate the stem for winding and hacking! Most the aircraft I have flown have clocks that were hacked with my watch that was set during briefing. This was done so everyone was on the same time! I think there is no right or wrong way today as long as you have it on so others can enjoy your choice of timepiece and start a conversation and maybe find a new friend! Cheers Jim.
    Hi Jim,

That's a great point about wearing a watch on one's right wrist - I saw a photo on Instagram of Nick English wearing his P51 in New York on his right wrist and therefore the pushers/crown would be more difficult to use (although I have read somewhere that one should take a watch off to wind/correct to reduce friction on the crown and stem!).

Aaaanyway, your Wright Flyer looks wonderful. Is that your favourite Bremont of your amazing collection?
    Last edited by SuperRichieM; 11-21-2015 at 08:21 PM. Reason: correction of detail

Hi, I'm left handed and wear my watch on my right wrist, I tried wearing my watch on my right wrist a couple of times but always found the crown dug into my hand. I think its a very personal thing, and it should be worn in the way that works best for you.

Aziza

The Wright Flyer and my MB1, I would have to say are my favorites! I can't mentally choose one over the other! Cheers Jim
    Breitling Navitimer, Omega PO, Rolex Datejust,Platinum Yacht Master ,Rado Sinatra, Bremont MB1,S500 Supermarine, Blue ALT1-P, 37 & 43 White Solos ,Bronze MBIII, White Boeing Model 1, F-16 Viper DLC Blue, and the Wright Flyer! Speake-Marin Wing Commander

The Wright Flyer and my MB1, I would have to say are my favorites! I can't mentally choose one over the other! Cheers Jim
    Yep, impossible to choose between those two. It would be like asking me to chose which of my two sons is favourite!